Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,077 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are very seriously considering relocating to the Lake County area, specifically Mount Dora, Eustis and the surrounding areas, but we are largely unfamiliar with them aside from what we've read on-line.

Here's our stats: No kids, 30 somethings, animal lovers (2 dogs--would like property as we have lots of room for them to run now), aren't overly fond of developemnts--we like privacy, though we're very friendly (we live on almost 2 very private acres now, in a town where everyone says hello and is friendly, we love mature landscaping, really want a pool (but may put one in if need be). The age of the home doesn't matter--my husband is a contractor, but the higher we go in our price range, the less we'll want to do to the home. We'd like to stay in the 200-300K range.

And what the heck is up with Chinese dry wall? Is this a major problem?

What about septic systems in rural areas--are they a fortune to fix/repair?

My husband is a professional glazier/designer, salesperson & installer of glass (all types of frameless showers, mirrors, windows, etc.). Any one know what the market is like for jobs?

Realisitcally, what are the taxes like in a town like Eustis, Montverde, Mount Dora or the like? We own a 4/2.5 on a large lot and pay almost 10K in taxes (which is killing us) but our insurance is about $900 a year. What's realistic in this area?

One more topic---the dreaded crime. Yes we're from Jersey, but we live in an area with a crime rate of 1 (out of 100). We've both lived in urban areas before, but want to get a realistic vision of what it's like in these areas--can you leave the windows open at night? Can you leave screen doors open and un-locked during the day? What's the overall social climate in terms of crime?

We plan on visiting and touring the area but any advice from the locals would be most apprieciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I own a 4/3 2950 s/f on a half acre in Lake County and pay almost $10K in taxes. Home owners is $1800 or so--it's a newer home built to the latest standards. No idea on septic, etc, we're all city here.

Minimal work for glass people, a friend works for one of the largest window and glass companies in the area as a job site supervisor. Three years ago he was working 70 hours a week. Now he's lucky to get 30, and his crews (those that haven't been laid off) are lucky to get the same.

Lake County is generally safe, but even so I still keep my doors locked. I close the windows at night, but if I had a second story I'd leave them opened upstairs at night when the weather was agreeable.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
"My husband is a professional glazier/designer, salesperson & installer of glass (all types of frameless showers, mirrors, windows, etc.). Any one know what the market is like for jobs?"

^^^ Let me send you something about that. I will direct message it to you when I find it. Not sure if it will help, but I am in RE DEV., and I do know of a company. Lemme find it...

PS- Lake County is probably one of the better counties in Central FL, but even with that said, lock your doors. A lot of theives have made FL their home over the yrs.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
VickieCollins, I just sent the link to your message box.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
My DH just started working in FL in Jan and he works with a fellow in Lake County and they like it very much...I cannot answer to the other questions like the other folks so I defer there.

We have looked to the other side of Orange county (the East side) and found what looks to be a nice rural area as well...Chuluota. We came across a development called Pickett Downs which looks to be nice, rural and had a good school district (it is the same district we will be in, we chose Oviedo, the next town over - we didn't want to be quite so rural..lol) I know you don't have kids, but that tends to help hold the value of a property if its in a good district. So, depending on where your work takes you, you may want to look there as well. There should be many homes in that price range for you Happy home hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando