Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 AM

22 posts, read 55,418 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for genuine recommendations, no bitching about your town please, though constructive critism welcome.
My husband to be and I are planning on moving to central Florida next year after our marraige. We loved to area as we are big into attractions, museums, parks, restaurant/shops and nightlife and the weather (we have experience the full extent of the heat and humidity, as well as a hurricane and storms).
I also have some family in Sanford.
I am going to be attending Rollins college in Winter Park (evening programmes) studing dance and probably continuing to a BA in either Education or Psychology (not sure which would be most benificial to me), it is most likely my husband will be also depending on what work he gets also. I am a dance teacher and childcare worker by profession. I'd be willing to do pretty much any regular day time job but would like to stick with some form of child care. I will be doing work experience in dance schools in local towns as well as teaching Irish dance classes in the evenings I'm not at college.
Winter Park seems a nice area to live. I'm just wondering what are peoples opinions on it? Is it a good place for a young couple to start out? Or would you suggest another nearby town. Which town would have the cheapest rent? Naturally we won't have to much money starting out. We don't mind living somewhere cheap at first while we get our training and settled into work etc, then move to another nicer town when we're earning more and want to start a family. We would like to be close to Orlando, Sanford and Winter Park wherever we go.
Suggestions and information greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:29 AM

22 posts, read 55,418 times
We will be 25 and 26 by the way, and my husband is a fully qualified electrician with experience in all aspects of labour. He hopes to at some point do the US electrical course that makes his qualification eligible in the US. We also have a cat who we plan to bring with us so an area good for him would be nice. Anyone know where I can get info on bringing pets into US actually?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
You might want to look at College Park. It's a little less expensive yet still very nice and convenient to Rollins.

I think your husband is going to have a hard time getting work--there are so many electricians, plumbers, tile guys, etc. out of work right now around here, and employers will almost always hire locals first.

Also have you applied for visa's? Rollins will probably help you with a student visa--although that won't give you eligibility to work. Your husband will need an H1B, very difficult to get without sponsorship, and no employer is going to spend the time and money to do that when there are 90 local guys looking for the same job.

As far as the cat, you'll need an international health certificate and proof of current rabies. Check with the Department of State on that one, and you'll also need to make arrangements with your airpine well in advance.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
Winter Park is a great place to live. It can be pricey, but if you can find something in the 32789 zip code, it is a great, safe, area filled with great dining, shopping, entertainment, amenities and arts venues. Other great areas are College Park, Thornton Park, Colonialtown and Maitland. If you are looking outside of these areas you are most likely going to be in a suburban area like Lake Mary or Oviedo that are very nice and clean but can be kind of bland and homogenous compared to the older areas like Winter Park.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,346,116 times
I agree with all the above post. All those neighborhoods would be good for your situation however I would recommend Winter Park, College Park, Colonialtowne and Maitland the most. Ideally Winter Park itself would be best as a student, closer is always better. There are affordable homes around the campus, of course that means also means alot of late night parties. If you want to avoid that head to college park or colonialtowne where you should be able to find something reasonable. I put Maitland out there because you have family in Sanford. This would be somewhere in between the two with a easy commute to campus. Most places you find do not have problems with cats although they may require a pet deposit.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Winter Park is the ideal chopice for you. check out Craigslist and speak to opne of the realtors to get an idea of some rentals and whats available. Rollins is in the most primo real estate inn WP but you never know what you might find near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando