Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times

Advertisements

So I take it you're arguing that the west and east coast of Florida are both equally cool due to a seabreeze? But the vast majority would argue that the east is cooler than the west coast. Orlando itself isn't cool, but you drive to the east coast beaches. Even the water in the Gulf of Mexico is like a hot bath. I'm not going to argue continually but I'm hoping no one gets the idea that Tampa is a good place to move for lower humidity and heat--there are better places in the state for that. However, Tampa is less humid--than the Amazon rainforest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:00 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I think the difference is that Orlando has very little breeze in the summer at all and Tampa does have some breeze. The breeze though comes off the gulf, which is a pretty still and warm body of water so sometimes the breeze feels like someone breathing in your face. The best places to stay cool in the summer are all along the east coast where the ocean waters and breezes are a little cooler. HOWEVER, it is Florida so it is hot everywhere and all this discussion is really just splitting hairs. I happen to love this weather we have been having and it reminds me how tropical and unique Florida is, but I realize not everyone appreciates it or feels this way

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think the difference is that Orlando has very little breeze in the summer at all and Tampa does have some breeze. The breeze though comes off the gulf, which is a pretty still and warm body of water so sometimes the breeze feels like someone breathing in your face. The best places to stay cool in the summer are all along the east coast where the ocean waters and breezes are a little cooler. HOWEVER, it is Florida so it is hot everywhere and all this discussion is really just splitting hairs. I happen to love this weather we have been having and it reminds me how tropical and unique Florida is, but I realize not everyone appreciates it or feels this way
I like it too. I think if someone wants (slightly) cooler weather maybe move to Ferninanda Beach or somewhere on the First Coast.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I agree that there is a difference between the west coast and east coast of Florida. For whatever reason, probably because the Atlantic is larger body of water than the Gulf, the east coast gets more of a breeze in my experience. That being said, Tampa still has a breeze that keeps it less humid than Orlando.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

258 posts, read 812,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I lived in Orlando for four months one summer. I'll give you my honest opinion of the city.

-It hot and humid. VERY hot and humid. If you are going to live inland in Florida, the humidity will be a much bigger factor than the coastal cities. I've lived in Sarasota, Gainesville, Naples, Orlando, and Miami. I can tell you that Orlando had the worst weather of all of them. There is no ocean seabreeze to keeps the humidity down to a bearable level when you live inland, Gainesville has the same problem in the summer.
The summer is the absolute worst time in Orlando. I wouldn't expect anyone who visits for the 4 worst months of the year to fall in love with the weather here.

Quote:
-someone said there's more to do in Orlando, but I don't agree with that, unless you are into the theme parks and other family-oriented stuff. If you have kids you will probably like it, otherwise the theme park/disney influence gets old.
I couldn't disagree more. I've lived here 7 years; I hardly ever go to the theme parks... but I am busy doing something almost every night of the week. If you were only here for a few months, that isn't enough time to get a feel for what's out there. A lot of it depends on who you know and what lifestyle you have.

Now don't get me wrong, there's plenty of reasons to dislike Orlando, but saying that the weather is hot and theme parks are boring isn't painting a full picture. It would be like me saying I dislike Tampa because I don't care for Busch Gardens or strip clubs.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Practice View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I've lived here 7 years; I hardly ever go to the theme parks... but I am busy doing something almost every night of the week. If you were only here for a few months, that isn't enough time to get a feel for what's out there. A lot of it depends on who you know and what lifestyle you have.
I agree. I have a very, very active life here, and can't seem to catch my breath with everything I try to jam into my weekends. Art shows, concerts, sports events, charity events, wine tastings--I seldom go to the theme parks, only when out of town guests drag me along.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
I've lived and currently work in Altamonte Springs..... It's a nice and relatively safe place. The problem is congestion and traffic. It's AWFUL. I live downtown now and drive opposite the rush hour traffic, but if I had to do the reverse I would have a mental breakdown. Traffic from Altamonte to just about anywhere is terrible.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
I don't think that it is true that Disney gets old for everyone. Trust me, there are fanatical Disney fans out there that will never get sick of it. I am a huge fan of Disney and Universal, and I go every few months since I don't want to burn out on it, but most of where I spend my weekend time in Orlando centers around downtown, Winter Park, the beaches, and the Millennia area. There are tons of cultural things to do here, and the city only plans to expand in that area. The new arena is going to be a tour de force of modern design and technology, as will the new performing arts center. I think Orlando has the brighter future, which is why I chose to move here over any other city in Florida.

Last edited by Pete C; 06-25-2009 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 AM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
I have to say that I am never bored here and usually am frustrated because I always have to choose between 2-3 awesome options each weekend!!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM

125 posts, read 760,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
So I take it you're arguing that the west and east coast of Florida are both equally cool due to a seabreeze?
When did I ever compare west coast to east coast???? Are you drunk? Last I checked we were comparing Orlando to Tampa.

Quote:
But the vast majority would argue that the east is cooler than the west coast. Orlando itself isn't cool, but you drive to the east coast beaches.
Orlando is not on the east coast. So how is your point even relevant? And yeah, you DRIVE to the beaches, you don't have any., that's another minus.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue continually but I'm hoping no one gets the idea that Tampa is a good place to move for lower humidity and heat--there are better places in the state for that. However, Tampa is less humid--than the Amazon rainforest.
If you honestly think that Tampa has the same level of humidity as Orlando, then either:

A) You're hittin the kool-aid too much.
B) You've never lived in Tampa
C) You're an Orlando-Homer who gets offended anytime someone offers some constructive crit about your beloved city.

BTW, did you do your seabreeze research yet? Because if you actually take the time to study the phenemon a bit, and its effects on the Florida peninsula, then I seriously doubt you'll be back here to argue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando