Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,968 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of attending MMI technical school. We are from Mississippi. I have read other people's posts on the pros and cons about Orlando and all they talk about is how bad the crime is and traffic is. We live in a very small town and dont see crime or really bad traffic so I'm a little scared off but really want to go to school in Orlando. So I'm wondering if the move will be worth it. We will attend school for 2 years then move back to Mississippi so its not like we are looking to live here long term. And we're not "rich". We're 21-22 year old married students, no kids, tryin to get our lives started and dont wanna live in the ghetto..are there nice, safe apartments under $800 and also is this short term move to Orlando for school worth it? Because honestly, if its as bad as everybody is making it sound..then we'll just figure out something else to do and stay here..THANKS! oh and also....I get so confused with everybody talkin about "west orlando, metro area, blah blah blah"...there seems to be so many parts of Orlando..whats the best part? where i come from..the town is just that town..there arent different parts..so i need help on that also.ha ha...thanks to those of you that reply!!

Last edited by confused.student; 11-18-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 06:47 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times
Hey! I too am in MS. and going to move to Orlando. This will be for good though. Crime is everywhere. The bigger the city the more crime. Go to the Apartment Guide website for apartments. I noticed that 1 and 2 bedroom apartments there are quite reasonable. Good Luck

Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,151,270 times
I think being cautious will help you a lot in both driving with traffic and aggressive drivers and being in sketchy areas or out at night. Crime is exaggerated a lot so I would not let it get to you. I often have to walk to my car alone at night, walk to meet friends downtown at night, and three of our major malls are not in the best areas of town (Florida Mall, Festival Bay, Millenia Mall) but I still frequent them. There are definite areas to look at and others to avoid but it is not as simple as east side good/west side bad, so it take a little research and asking questions. Good luck to you both in your relocating efforts!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 AM

67 posts, read 128,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think being cautious will help you a lot in both driving with traffic and aggressive drivers and being in sketchy areas or out at night. Crime is exaggerated a lot so I would not let it get to you. I often have to walk to my car alone at night, walk to meet friends downtown at night, and three of our major malls are not in the best areas of town (Florida Mall, Festival Bay, Millenia Mall) but I still frequent them. There are definite areas to look at and others to avoid but it is not as simple as east side good/west side bad, so it take a little research and asking questions. Good luck to you both in your relocating efforts!
I don't think complaining about crime is exaggerated here, another shooting today, in a Home Depot parking lot, plus a home invasion , one shot. They are not all in "bad areas" either. Just last week I got a email at work " don't leave the building" when they were looking for that crazy guy that shot a bunch of people in an office building.
For anyone wanting to move here, I suggest you look at the local Orlando news for a few weeks. Lots of traffic accidents and lots of crime. It's a fact, not just a few people's opinion. My daughter goes to the best rated highschool in Orlando and one girl in her class was murdered by gang members last year. Stuff like that happens all the time. Everyone I know has been either robbed, their car broken into or their house broken into, and NONE of them live in "bad areas". I have a very good idea of why this is also, but that's just my opinion, so I won't write it. It was not like this in Orlando 20 years ago.

I suppose if we ever wish to sell our house and move, I should not post things like that above, better stop

Last edited by sgs123; 11-19-2009 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
By the way you are describing your town now Orlando will be a shock for you, particularly the traffic. This is a major metropolitan area, with comes all the headaches and some benefits. There have been many post on here from prospective MMI Students. The majority opinion seems to be move to Hunter's Creek if you will be a student at MMI. Lake Nona/Beachline area also seems to be a popular option. For a married couple, I think if you're looking for a 1 bed you may be able to find something decent in Hunter's Creek for your price range. If not there are certainly nice areas that you can find 1 br in that price range but you will be driving long distances in traffic. That being said, crime is an issue in Orlando but not it's also exagerrated to a certain extent. Living here is like any other major city, you have to be aware. I have lived here for many years, and (knock on wood) have never personally been a victim or affected by crime. I don't live in a gated community or lock myself in my home, I simply use common sense and know my surroundings. If MMI will better your life I would not change your plans of attending just because of what you've heard. If anything come visit first and see if it's something you could see yourself doing for 2 years. But please, come with an open mind. Also bear in mind education is great thing and worth sacrificing for in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM

The Home Depot parking lot was drug related. The shooter was not random, he was mentally unstable and blamed his company laying him off as the source of his problems, and unfortunately it could have probably been prevented. The home invasion was random and terrible news. I think it is unfortunate that everyone you know has been a victim of crime because I have quite the opposite experience. I would suggest anyone do their homework, contact local precincts to get crime information, etc. and make an educated decision on an area, but I still think that crime is very exaggerated on this forum. I do not feel unsafe at all in most areas of town. The aggressive driving and sheer stupidity on the roads is more of a concern to me overall.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 AM

67 posts, read 128,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
The Home Depot parking lot was drug related. The shooter was not random, he was mentally unstable and blamed his company laying him off as the source of his problems, and unfortunately it could have probably been prevented. The home invasion was random and terrible news. I think it is unfortunate that everyone you know has been a victim of crime because I have quite the opposite experience. I would suggest anyone do their homework, contact local precincts to get crime information, etc. and make an educated decision on an area, but I still think that crime is very exaggerated on this forum. I do not feel unsafe at all in most areas of town. The aggressive driving and sheer stupidity on the roads is more of a concern to me overall.
I hope you won't think I am trying to start an argument with you. I am not. But, to me, it does not matter why the crime happened, or if it was totally random or not. Overall, it is an indication of what a large portion of the people in this city are like. These types of drug murders happen all over town. Heck, murders happen all over town, even in the expensive areas. People here seem very angry. You are fortunate you have never experienced any crime, I hope you will continue to be fortunate. The driving and road rage is just part of it. And yes, anyone should look up real crime statistics, I agree with that.
I wished Orlando could go back to the way it was 15 years ago or more. But, I would still hate the weather

Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
I hope you won't think I am trying to start an argument with you. I am not. But, to me, it does not matter why the crime happened, or if it was totally random or not. Overall, it is an indication of what a large portion of the people in this city are like. These types of drug murders happen all over town. Heck, murders happen all over town, even in the expensive areas. People here seem very angry. You are fortunate you have never experienced any crime, I hope you will continue to be fortunate. The driving and road rage is just part of it. And yes, anyone should look up real crime statistics, I agree with that.
I wished Orlando could go back to the way it was 15 years ago or more. But, I would still hate the weather
No I do not think you are trying to argue with me at all. I definitely understand all of your points. I also do not want to live in a city filled with crackheads but those victimized by those crimes tend to know the offender. That is all I was saying. I have had a good experience since I moved to Orlando in 2005 and so I think someone relocating here can also have a great experience if they do their homework.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,952 times
I worked in MS for three years. I came back home to Orlando this year. Let me just say MS is a beautiful place. I’ve worked and lived in Gulfport, Hattiesburg, Waynesboro, Liberty, Macomb, Vicksburg, Pascagoula, Laurel, etc.

You really want to be careful where you live in Orlando. Keep in mind that when people say “Orlando” they’re not always talking about Orlando proper. Defiantly stay far away from Kissimmee, South Semoran, Oak Ridge, and Pine Hills. I would highly recommend you look at Winter Park, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs, and Dr. Phillips.

Dr Phillips would be your best choice. The trip from Dr. Phillips to UTI is short and quick. You hop on 1-4 and ride it for less than a mile; you take the Beeline exit and ride that for about 2 miles; Take the John Young exit and take the first left on to Taft-Vineland; drive a mile and you’re at UTI.

If you have any questions about certain parts don’t hesitate to ask because I won’t sugar coat it.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,968 times
well thanks everybody! all of this definitely helped! I actually lived in Pensacola for about a year..i heard of bad stuff happening here and there but nothin to be too afraid to leave my house over..orlando is bigger than pensacola right? im not sure...but if its nothin worse than what pensacola was then we can handle it no problem...as far as crime and such goes anyways..it just scares me bc here, its a small town and all about that southern hospitality..so when i get put into positions like moving to a huge city i panic bc theres so many ppl there that u dont know and u dont know if they're crazy or what they'll do to you..here, everybody knows everybody so you never have to be scared.ha ha..i guess my main concern is if im gonna move down there and have to worry for my life everyday...bc im a small girl...ppl scare me easily..ha ha..thanks yall!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando