Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket the other day. I suffer from panic attacks and I was trying to hurry up to pull over. When the officer pulled me over, he could obviously see that I was very anxious and upset. I tried to explain to him that it was an emergency and I was trying to pull over. He gave me the highest fine and told me "If you suffer from panic attacks, you shouldn't be driving". I couldn't believe how uncompassionate the officer was. He also gave me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt when indeed I was when he pulled me over. I didn't contest it b/c I was too worked up. I was polite to him even though I was so worked up.

Anyhow, does anybody know if I fight these tickets and explain to the judge my situation, they can be dismissed? Or, will they say, no matter what, you were speeding.

The last ticket I had was about 10 years ago. It was the only ticket I've ever gotten for not paying attention to a posted sign. I've been driving for 22 years and my record is clean. I usually do the speed limit, but this was an emergency.

Any honest input would be helpful and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM

291 posts, read 1,203,907 times
How awful that that happened!! I can't believe he told you that you shouldn't be driving! I don't know if you can contest them, I have never gotten a ticket (knock on wood) but I'm sure that you can ~ and someone needs to know uncompassionate he was ~ telling you that you shouldn't be driving ~ that's crazy!
I hope everything gets worked out well! Good luck!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 PM

284 posts, read 985,576 times
Plead not guilty and explain to the DA what happened , more than likely it will be dropped down or throw out . Good luck with it.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
The seatbelt will probably be tossed, the speeding ticket might be reduced, but I wouldn't count on it. These days they need the traffic violation revenue. You can take a class to get the points off your license and insurance.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Does anybody know if you take it to court, do they still give you the option to take the class? I know if the officer doesn't show, they drop everything. (good chance it could happen) I'm afraid to take the chance of not getting the option to take the class and be stuck with the points. Does anyone know it there are points for the seatbelt ticket?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Pleading guilty and being found guilty are the same when it comes to the class. No idea on the seatbelt.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:26 AM

284 posts, read 985,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Does anybody know if you take it to court, do they still give you the option to take the class? I know if the officer doesn't show, they drop everything. (good chance it could happen) I'm afraid to take the chance of not getting the option to take the class and be stuck with the points. Does anyone know it there are points for the seatbelt ticket?
The New Florida Seat Belt Law: Primary vs. Secondary Enforcement and What it Means - Legislation & Policymaking - FindLaw Blotter

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 AM

It doesn't specifically say if they give points or not in FL. Another thing is my ticket is for $119, not $30????

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It doesn't specifically say if they give points or not in FL. Another thing is my ticket is for $119, not $30????
Whoa! ! That is alot of money!

A speeding ticket is clad iron, as you were most likely clocked with a radar hence you will not be able to refute the evidence if the Police Officer shows up, unless you could prove a faulty speedometer. In addition, Police Officers don't take peoples stories/excuses too kindly as they have heard the same story thousands of times. You may explain the seat belt but the Police Officer will be more credible. You will most likely get points and/or may see insurance rates go up. 15mph or less (3 pts.) anything above 15mph (4 pts.)

Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Whoa! ! That is alot of money!

A speeding ticket is clad iron, as you were most likely clocked with a radar hence you will not be able to refute the evidence if the Police Officer shows up, unless you could prove a faulty speedometer. In addition, Police Officers don't take peoples stories/excuses too kindly as they have heard the same story thousands of times. You may explain the seat belt but the Police Officer will be more credible. You will most likely get points and/or may see insurance rates go up. 15mph or less (3 pts.) anything above 15mph (4 pts.)
The speeding ticket was $210. The cop said I was doing 12 over the speed limit. I really don't think so, maybe 5-10 at most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando