Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

Eventually Disneyworld will decay and have to be torn down like Astroworld was in Houston (and what a great loss!). Has anyone ever heard or read anything about how long Orlando thinks they can keep/maintain Disneyworld before it goes down, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM

429 posts, read 1,105,137 times
I would just imagine that Astroworld was not any sort of the attraction Disney World was (being i've never ever heard of it) so i'd assume theres no end in sight to Disney world..but thats an unresearched guess

Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM

263 posts, read 889,916 times
Having seen the back lot at the park, my guess is it will be there as long as people are willing to buy tickets. The park takes great pains to perform maintenance on the existing attractions while new ones are also being added. While I was there a few of the Tea Cups were sitting on the back lot waiting for painting and repairs.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 AM

729 posts, read 1,301,609 times
DW won't be going anywhere for a while......

Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
Disney has become a lifestyle...reached into the upper tiers of a cultural phenom...almost a city in itself (has the infrastructure, just lacking permanent residents). for something like that go away, there'd need to be something near catastrophic to happen: something like a world war, an actual depression, something larger than life.

Not saying it can't happen, but Disney is not a fly-by-night tourist trap. It sets the pace for tourist "destinations." It is the leader...for it to go away, there'd have to be absolutely no tourist market, which is what one of those events would do.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I think it will be around forever but I have recently been disappointed by the lack of care and attention the park has gotten. When we went to dinner last night at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, I was shocked at the lights being out on the Pop Century resort sign and the condition of the room at the resort my friend was staying at. It was not the Pop Century but I expected the Caribbean Beach resort to be nicer. The rooms were very gaudy and the lights were dim in the room. Some of the hardware in the room was also damaged (drawer handles, the stick to move the blinds, etc.)
I think if they do not manage to rein in some of the loose ends and lacking upkeep they will see their image and reputation slip (if it hasn't already). With the high attendance and raising ticket prices, I think Disney has no excuse for some of the TLC its properties require. This has always been part of what makes it stand apart from universal or other competition. Just my 2 cents!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
as long as America lasts

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Yeah, you can turn that into a ...Disney World is expanding, not shrinking. Not all theme parks die, only ones that aren't properly managed or have low attendance, and Disney is the quintessential theme park in the world.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
As long as there are children, there will be a Disney, their movies are pretty good too.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,055,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
It was not the Pop Century but I expected the Caribbean Beach resort to be nicer. The rooms were very gaudy and the lights were dim in the room. Some of the hardware in the room was also damaged (drawer handles, the stick to move the blinds, etc.)
Yeah, this is pretty normal at Disney actually. The older resorts rooms have tacky wallpaper and all sorts of things that just look old. It seems they are trying to change that though one resort at a time. Coronado Springs underwent a full makeover of all the rooms recently, making them look much more bright and modern. The Contemporary and Polynesian did the same a few years ago. I hope this trend continues and we see resorts like Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club get renovated to modern hotel standards.

That said, the grounds are usually what set apart Disney resorts. They are usually set around a lake and offer beautiful landscaping, pool areas, relaxing areas, etc...just the rooms themselves need to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando