Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:48 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
While I'm not opposed to accepting a certain number of orphaned children into central Florida homes that are willing to completely accept full financial responsibility for them, I'm adamantly opposed to what I see as a second Mariel Boat Lift, albeit from a different country. It will lead to nothing but crime, crime, and more crime.

We don't have the jobs, money, or infrastructure to accomodate that many refugees. We can't take care of the people already living here let alone absorbing a huge humber of uneducated people that have NOTHIGN to contribute to our society.

I would rather see the millions of dollars that it would cost us to support these refugees invested into THEIR country to help them rebuild there.
Well it seems that Florida has already had a problem with increasing crime rates & uneducated people.
What's the excuse for those already there with that problem.
High School Drop Out Rates - LoveToKnow Teens
Drug-Related Crime - North Florida High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Drug Market Analysis 2008 (UNCLASSIFIED)
It sounds like a typical whining American who does not want to open doors for people in need. We should'nt try to put the blame on those from Haiti who aren't even in this country yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Well it seems that Florida has already had a problem with increasing crime rates & uneducated people.
Drug-Related Crime - North Florida High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Drug Market Analysis 2008 (UNCLASSIFIED)
It sounds like a typical whining American who does not want to open doors for people in need. We should'nt try to put the blame on those from Haiti who aren't even in this country yet.
Yup, and the majority of crime being committed in Florida is by Hispanics--many of whom are undocumented and illiterate. I'm not a racist, just stating facts by the way. Look at the high schools with the highest drop out rates--they aren't in the affluent suburbs*, they are in schools with huge ESL populations caused by a flood of (often illegal) immigrants.

*I live in an upper middle income neighborhood. My immediate neighborhood is 50% Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Middle Eastern. Two of the minority families came to this country within the past 12 years. The difference is that they immigrated legally and are well educated professionals that had something to offer this country.

And no, I don't think we should be "opening the doors for people in need." We have too many citizens who are unemployed, can't afford health care, living in shelters, etc. We need to take care of our own first. They are in need and hurting as well.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times
I feel bad for these people.But the us needs get out of save the world mode and start taking care of its own people.theres homeless people and many getting close to that because the job market.Theres people here that need saved. Its hard for me feel pity for haiti when there so many things here to fix.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 AM

42 posts, read 119,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I think your missing the point here. I don't think anyone has a problem helping another in need. We have many of our issues to fix. New Orleans comes to mind, unemployment etc. I don't see any other Country taking tens of thousands in. They have their own country. The American people should not have to pay for it which is what winds up happening. More taxes for the middle class it always seems to fall on the working people anyway. That's not right either, is it? I guess we can just add it to our debt list our kid's can pay for it! We do more than our part all over the world and give more than anybody! Every city has problems, crime, school issues, Orlando is no different but we don't have to add more to it.....

Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Yup, and the majority of crime being committed in Florida is by Hispanics--many of whom are undocumented and illiterate. I'm not a racist, just stating facts by the way. Look at the high schools with the highest drop out rates--they aren't in the affluent suburbs*, they are in schools with huge ESL populations caused by a flood of (often illegal) immigrants.

*I live in an upper middle income neighborhood. My immediate neighborhood is 50% Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Middle Eastern. Two of the minority families came to this country within the past 12 years. The difference is that they immigrated legally and are well educated professionals that had something to offer this country.

And no, I don't think we should be "opening the doors for people in need." We have too many citizens who are unemployed, can't afford health care, living in shelters, etc. We need to take care of our own first. They are in need and hurting as well.
I am not convinced that it's the "illegals" doing most of the crime.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I am not convinced that it's the "illegals" doing most of the crime.
A few years ago the Sentinel did a feature on crime in Orange County. Over half of the violent crimes the previous year were committed by illegals, and over 3/4 of them were Hispanic. That's a pretty staggering statistic.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
A few years ago the Sentinel did a feature on crime in Orange County. Over half of the violent crimes the previous year were committed by illegals, and over 3/4 of them were Hispanic. That's a pretty staggering statistic.

Wow. You're right. I'm not arguing the fact that certain individuals in Orange Co definitely account for most of the crime, I just didnt think those people were illegals.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
The Hatians in Florida are no longer Illegal since President Obama as given them legal status.

Haitians in US granted work visas - Ireland.com

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
This doesn't make it sound like every Hatian is eligible...

Quote:
The measure will allow eligible Haitians living in the United States when the 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck to work during a designated period of 18 months.

"Nationals who are present in this country currently who may have not had authorization to work ... can now apply to do so in order to earn money and pass remittances back to Haiti that will assist in the rebuilding," Matt Chandler, a spokesman for the US Department of Homeland Security said.

"It's very important that these work authorizations are given, because obviously it's a form of indirect economic aid," he added.
TPS is a temporary immigration status granted to eligible nationals of a certain country because of "temporary negative conditions" including armed conflict or an environmental disaster, that prevent nationals from returning home safely.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,095 times
Why don't they send them to a state that is not so densely populated already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando