Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:15 PM

101 posts, read 359,061 times

Advertisements

to OP, South lake county is a nice area Clermont, Grovland and Mascotte very diverse, good schools and easy to get in and out of Orlando if you need to.
To those who think the crime in orlando can be avoided by staying out of certain areas and thinking safe, yes this is a good Idea but the crime is spilling over into other areas. a lady was rob at gunpoint in daytime at the west oaks mall, a lot of pharmacies are getting robbed in the daytime, a lynx bus rider was shot while on the bus, the shooters did not care that their were other people they just started shooting. Orlando crime is a big problem and is not just limited to certain areas
CM

Old 06-16-2007, 10:36 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdavis View Post
to OP, South lake county is a nice area Clermont, Grovland and Mascotte very diverse, good schools and easy to get in and out of Orlando if you need to.
To those who think the crime in orlando can be avoided by staying out of certain areas and thinking safe, yes this is a good Idea but the crime is spilling over into other areas. a lady was rob at gunpoint in daytime at the west oaks mall, a lot of pharmacies are getting robbed in the daytime, a lynx bus rider was shot while on the bus, the shooters did not care that their were other people they just started shooting. Orlando crime is a big problem and is not just limited to certain areas
CM
The problems you describe are everyday occurrences in big cities like NYC and Chicago. They even happen once and a while in smaller cities like Orlando.

However, Puerto Rico is on another level entirely.

YouTube - Police in P.R.

This is a video of joint FBI/National Guard/PRPD raids on public housing projects across the island. Police do not actively patrol low income areas. It is too dangerous. These public housing projects are so notorious police do not dare enter with anything less then an army (litteraly... armored vehicles, helicopters and assualt weapons). In these neighborhoods a common sight is men on motorbikes/ATV's with AK-47's strapped on their backs. Drug lookouts. A sweep like this is rare, it takes a lot of resources. Nothing changes in the hoods of PR.

And crime doesn't only happen in areas like these. Even in heavy tourist areas like Old San Juan you have muggers (often poor and drug addicts) who carjack tourist at red lights and stop signs.

Orlando is a step up from PR. Puerto Rico is conidered one of the most violent areas in the world due to the heavy drug trade. MANY homicides are covered up becuase of tourist interest. There are some TERRIBLE neighborhoods on the island, and crime does extend beyond those areas.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:07 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
[quote=blueoktober;874235]
Quote:
Investigators said a fight between several teens at Club Crunk located on Orange Blossom Trail spilled over to a nearby gas station./QUOTE]

I have to ask all of you "chicken-littles" in Orlando - have you actually witnessed any crime or been in a situation that made you scared? Honestly, no exaggerations....have you? .

Yes i have...and no i am not exadurating....i work and live near I-drive.......i was robbed at gunpoint at the 7-11 in Altamonte a lil while back and my friend that lives in my neighboorhood out here had his car stolen the other night......There was a murder at the Orlando Ale House about 2 - 3 months ago from a drug deal gone bad and that was in the one at Lake Buena Vista (a nice part of town) call the sherriffs office and see if im exadurating on that one.....

hey anything could have happened in that parking lot when the drug deal went bad and anyone in the way could have got shot or killed too......i am originally from Miami....and yeah alot of the crime here in Orlando is drug related but Orlando is going through birth pains of growing up....and its kinda like Miami in the 80's as far as people not being prepared for the crime or knowing how to take precautions before hand.....

example im Miami you would "never" see a car running without anybody in it at tha gas station...or you would never know anybody that cracks thier windows to get cool air at night or in the day.....and in Miami lots more people even in the suburbs...have bars on thier windows and most women dont flaunt thier purse around like no one will take it cuz down there that is an open invitation.....people take more precautions down there.....

In Orlando there are just alot of ignorant people who drive around not even thinking that someone could rob them at a stop light and i know people in orlando dont have the mentality that you need to carry your cash in your shoe while walking instead of in your wallet....so thats how i know its different....but crime is getting bad though in Orlando..no doubt....

Just today i was in tourist land at a subway resturant in Lake Buena Vista and i noticed a car with New Jersey plates just sitting there with no one in it and it was running with the window down.....that is a big no no.....i dont care if you are from Compton...you should know better.....

Oh one last thing....i said Orlando was kinda like Miami was in the 80's....but only as far as people not expecting to have crime in thier communities as much as they were used to before.....well Orlando doesnt have near the problems that Miami did back then ....There were years in the 80's when Miami had 500 or 600 murders in each year and averaged about 400 fro alot of those years....but the population of New York right now averages less then what Miami's murder count was back then for a population that was 20 times smaller back then.....so if you are from orlando and think this is terrible....it could be alot worse.....but crime is affecting people even in the good parts of town here though....

Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Orlando is A LOT better then Puerto Rico in terms of crime. Quality of life is higher as well. Gov't is more stable, less corruption, less pollution. Culture is different.

The people posting here have no idea how bad it is in PR. There are housing projects in Puerto Rico have more murders per year then the entire city of Orlando. And murders are not the half of it, include robberies and assualts which are very common on the island. Drug addicts and poor everywhere, comitting crimes.

Of course there are bad areas in Orlando, but they do not compare with the going ons of PR. PR is a high drug traffic location, a gateway into the USA. Gangs are obliterating each other to take control of the drugs flowing through the island. That includes anyone in their way. The weapons of choice in PR are AK-47's and M-16's. Killing anyone in the cross fire.

Orlando is a nice move, especially if you are from a high crime section of PR. There is a growing PR population in Orlando. Just make sure you choose a decent neighborhood, so you won't have to deal with any problems you want to leave behind.

Now if you are just somw person that just moved from NY and really only visited puerto rico then i see what you are trying to do.....you can't compare the crime in orlando with that of new york because orlando's crime rate is way higher so i guess you are trying to move to some other area that is higher in crime in which you probably only lived in until you were 5 or 6 years old......

alot of newyoricans are like you....don't worry.....we have heard plenty of stories why orlando is boring cuz our clubs are only open til 2 in tha morning and weve also heard that it hurts more to get shot in tha bronx or harlem then it does to get shot in iraq or even pine hills.....

u are waisting time on here.....no one will actually experience what you are talking about in puerto rico or in new york since we dont live there.....we live here so its pretty hard to make me see what your life experience has been when im dealing with my own....i could name alot of worse places then puerto rico if u wanna try to play the out-doing game......good luck in trying to spread positive instead of showing us the negative on top of more negative

p.s.

if u wanna talk about the gang problem in puerto rico as a country...then why not compare it against the gang problem in the U.S. as a total....guarenteed we see more murders in the papers then puerto rico....the Los Angeles paper would put puerto rico to shame so would the Chicago one ....when it comes to gang land murders and crimes

Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Now if you are just somw person that just moved from NY and really only visited puerto rico then i see what you are trying to do.....you can't compare the crime in orlando with that of new york because orlando's crime rate is way higher so i guess you are trying to move to some other area that is higher in crime in which you probably only lived in until you were 5 or 6 years old......

alot of newyoricans are like you....don't worry.....we have heard plenty of stories why orlando is boring cuz our clubs are only open til 2 in tha morning and weve also heard that it hurts more to get shot in tha bronx or harlem then it does to get shot in iraq or even pine hills.....

u are waisting time on here.....no one will actually experience what you are talking about in puerto rico or in new york since we dont live there.....we live here so its pretty hard to make me see what your life experience has been when im dealing with my own....i could name alot of worse places then puerto rico if u wanna try to play the out-doing game......good luck in trying to spread positive instead of showing us the negative on top of more negative

p.s.

if u wanna talk about the gang problem in puerto rico as a country...then why not compare it against the gang problem in the U.S. as a total....guarenteed we see more murders in the papers then puerto rico....the Los Angeles paper would put puerto rico to shame so would the Chicago one ....when it comes to gang land murders and crimes
What the **** are you talking about?

Puerto Rico is significantly more violent then the USA as a whole. Some neighborhoods in PR are considered the most violent areas in the world. It has to do with the fact PR is an entry point for drugs into the USA. It's like a funnel. And the competition among who gets to control that funnel can be very violent. The same goes for border towns in Mexico.

And when there is that much drug activity on a small island, with some much violence going on between drug gangs, it effects everyone. Just look at the situation in Mexico's border towns. Many innocents caught in the cross fire. The same thing is going on in PR.

As for the rest of what you said:

-What the **** does NYC have to do with this?
-Orlando's worst areas are no worse then what you find in NYC, L.A., Chicago or "any city with large poor Black/Latino concentrations" in the USA. Orlando's ghetto's are just smaller and have less stuff (crime) going on due to less people and density then most larger cities.
-PR has more murders on average then both L.A. and Chicago... combined.
-I'm actually boosting Orlando. Who's being negative. PR is a mess and doesn't deserve any credit.
-No one said it was easy if you live in a lower income section of Orlando, but trust me, the city as a whole is a step up from cities in PR. And you DEFINATELY would not want to live in a ghetto of PR if you had to choose between the two.

Orlando is a major step up from PR in terms of quality of life.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-17-2007 at 01:50 AM..

Old 06-17-2007, 03:22 PM

You're not boosting orlando ....u know what you are really trying to do.....don't worry i did the same thing when i moved from Miami to Nashville....but you know what .....no matter how much i tryed to tell people in Nashville how much more dangerous Miami was than Nashville , no one really cares.....because they dont spend time in puerto rico or in my case Miami, so you cant be living here and thinking there is nothing like what puerto rico has....i watched your little video....that doesn't even scare me compared to tha ghetto in Miami......you gotta be kidding....its just a bunch of little thugs in a "group" trying to scare one person in a car.....

you are wrong about puerto rico vs. the united states......the united states has more murders every year than puerto rico....so please just drop this battle and talk to someone from switzerland because you might actually be right if you compare against them....you are waisting your energy trying to convince everyone about your country verses our country......its just like if i was from Salt lake city utah trying to say how much worse things were there than here....would you really listen....no....so please stop being what most people already think about puerto ricans in orlando...you are just adding to the negative view that people have of your culture here....

dont you want people to not think your people are cocky? or thugs....or any of the other steriotypes....obviously you dont want that...

Old 06-17-2007, 03:24 PM

if the neighborhoods were the most violent in the world then why dont they ever show it in the media like they do with south american cities?......bring me a statistic that shows that puerto rico had more murders than the u.s. as a whole then i might believe all of your "words"

Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
you cant compare the u.s. to pr. the u.s. has like 300 million ppl. how many does pr have?

the special is right in one aspect, a lot of ppl think negatively about all the pr'icans moving to orlando. it is overwhelming.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You're not boosting orlando ....u know what you are really trying to do.....don't worry i did the same thing when i moved from Miami to Nashville....but you know what .....no matter how much i tryed to tell people in Nashville how much more dangerous Miami was than Nashville , no one really cares.....because they dont spend time in puerto rico or in my case Miami, so you cant be living here and thinking there is nothing like what puerto rico has....i watched your little video....that doesn't even scare me compared to tha ghetto in Miami......you gotta be kidding....its just a bunch of little thugs in a "group" trying to scare one person in a car.....

you are wrong about puerto rico vs. the united states......the united states has more murders every year than puerto rico....so please just drop this battle and talk to someone from switzerland because you might actually be right if you compare against them....you are waisting your energy trying to convince everyone about your country verses our country......its just like if i was from Salt lake city utah trying to say how much worse things were there than here....would you really listen....no....so please stop being what most people already think about puerto ricans in orlando...you are just adding to the negative view that people have of your culture here....

dont you want people to not think your people are cocky? or thugs....or any of the other steriotypes....obviously you dont want that...
Your so stupid it's not even funny.

Quote:
if the neighborhoods were the most violent in the world then why dont they ever show it in the media like they do with south american cities?......bring me a statistic that shows that puerto rico had more murders than the u.s. as a whole then i might believe all of your "words"
American media could care less about the problems in Puerto Rico. The objective of the USA is to not show the nation in a negative light.

No one said PR had more murders then the USA as a whole, but PR only has 3.8 million people. The USA has over 300 million. However PR has more then 3x the murder rate of the USA. Factor in many murders in PR "disappear". The island has a very corrupt gov't, many bodies never turn up, tourism is very important.

Enough of this already. If you think the ghettos in Orlando and Miami have have more violence then the high crime areas of PR, you just have no idea what you are talking about. The ghettos in American cities are violent, but PR is a major international drug entry point. Do you have even close to the amount of intellegence to comprehend what kind of effect that has on violent crime in an area? 25% of all cocaine entering the USA goes through Puerto Rico. Just look at border towns along the US border like Nuevo Laredo, Mexico to get an idea of how things are in parts of Puerto Rico. That is another example of a major drug entry point into the USA.

"you gotta be kidding....its just a bunch of little thugs in a "group" trying to scare one person in a car"

What the video doesn't show are the armored vehicles, blackhawk helicopters, National Guard armed with M-16's and PRPD armed with M-4's. FBI and DEA armed to the teeth with M-4's with all kinds of ACOG scopes, laser designators, interceptor body armor. You also don't see the criminals firing AK-47's from the rooftops, common people fighting with police. flashbangs being thrown, tear gas. Your ignorant as hell. It's best you just stop talking.

Those guys attacking the car were outgunned by the troops on the ground but still trying to kill a dealer from the project. Those guys were most likely part of another drug gang taking advantage of the situation.

Orlando has what, 30 something murders a year in a city about 100 square miles and its the worst year on record? The low income areas are bad but the overall city is not that bad. Like I said before, there are housing projects alone in PR no more then a few blocks with 30 murders per year.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-17-2007 at 05:58 PM..

Old 06-17-2007, 06:10 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,582 times
Nashville has a lot more crime than Orlando. I just got out of Nashville as fast as my life could take me just to run back to Orlanod. Nashville is dirty, seedy and has double the murder rate of Orlando and has about 700k less people than Orlando. I was born and raised in the Nashville area and I can tell you that it has completely gone to the dumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando