Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Last year I went to a car show. The Fiat 500 was on display and I absolutely loved it. I thought it looked really cute and fun. Now fast forward 1 year.

I have chosen a Fiat twice over the past few weeks as a rental.

I still think it is cute, and kind of "smily" like a VW Beetle, but boy is this car completely impractical.

Here are my beefs:
1. Backseat is pointless. For toddlers only
2. The keyfob needs help. THe key retracts, but it pops open again with the slightest pressure. The key fob doesn't have any "white" images or lettering, so it is impossible to figure out in the dark
3. The window controls are in the center console
4. I still haven't found the door locks. I have driven it for a total of 5 days at this point
5. The steering wheel controls are confusing. And some are hidden. I accidentally found the bluetooth volume controls
6. iPod/USB/Auxillary is in the glovebox
7. No armrest/center console storage
8. Terrible cup holders. They only work of your cup is a perfect cylinder. If not, then 2 cups cannot be used.
9. No storage: glovebox, door, an open slot (cell phone width) by the cup holder and the is a mesh slot on the passenger side of the center console
10. Complicated controls for the stereo/bluetooth system. Either the info screen is flakey or doesn't work. I tried to pair a phone today. It said "Pair the phone with the following code: 1234. Use the code on the screen to pair your device." The screen still had the title, "blue and me" with no secret code
11. The instructions in the manual do not tell you how to pair things properly
12. Nonstandard icons

I think of the fit as a perfect vacation var for a couple. In day to use, it would be torture because of the weird logic and missing convenience features.
What a difference.. in Jan 2013 it was reported that Fiat sales are up:
Full-year Fiat 500 sales were well up -- 121% to 43,772 -- but still undershot CEO Sergio Marchionne's original forecast of 50,000. He has said that number was optimistic..The 500 is the only Fiat model sold in the U.S., though it comes in several variations, including a convertible.

Chrysler reports best December sales since 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
I see tons of them around here in LA.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I see tons of them around here in LA.
Ditto on that here in San Diego
I even had one try to drag race me the other day
Ive seen so many new Fiat's and Kia Optima's on the road lately.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Ditto on that in san diego
I even had one try to drag race me the other day
Yeah, some dude with a fauxhawk driving an Abarth pulled up alongside me at a light just last night. Lulz were had... by me...

I didn't think that it was possible to pull a half-block on a "performance version" of a car between stoplights My S2k is fast and all, but it's more a canyon carver than a drag racer.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Default Why the Fiat 500 isn't selling...

I looked at at them when I was trying to find a cheap commuter car. They probably don't sell well because you can buy a Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa or Honda fit for the same price that is actually big enough to live with comfortably, gets better gas mileage and performance AND have better reliability.

People shopping that particular market nich aren't exactly "style over substance" type people... which is exactly what the Fiat 500 is.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
How much do they cost?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I looked at at them when I was trying to find a cheap commuter car. They probably don't sell well because you can buy a Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa or Honda fit for the same price that is actually big enough to live with comfortably, gets better gas mileage and performance AND have better reliability.

People shopping that particular market nich aren't exactly "style over substance" type people... which is exactly what the Fiat 500 is.
The people who are shopping a Yaris or Fit aren't, but the Fiat 500 is aimed at drawing in people who are, or who would... sort of like people who bought the New Beetle in the first few years it was out. They could have bought a Civic hatch or something of the sort that had better mileage, was more reliable, and just an all around better car... but the Beetle was new and cute.

More than anything else, I think it's intended as a recognizable foray back into the US market. The Punto is a more practical car overall, but it also looks like it's ten years old, and sort of awkward in the first place, with its googly-eyed headlights and moustache-bumper.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
I see lots on Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat lots but see more Hemi Ram 1500's on the Road around here

Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I see more than enough around here. Hipster wankers.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:22 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I see more than enough around here. Hipster wankers.
Nothing says hipster like saying wanker rather than jag-off.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-08-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands