Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 12:58 PM

1,117 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Oh. OK. Good point.

See the fires in this video of the BYD EV's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE
The dude use to live and love China, got into an altercation with Chinese police so he left China.

Now he has a vendetta against China and has an obvious hatred for them and anything Chinese government.

He is not exactly the best "objective" view on China.

Plus do you realize that plenty of Tesla fires occur too? There are websites dedicated to this fact.

All EV's have a potential for fires. Lithium ion batteries are notorious for dangerous explosions if not charged properly. I'm betting a lot of those "chinese fires" are due to bad chargers.

I'm not saying that what he is stating is complete BS, just saying that he has an obvious prejudice when it comes to anything Chinese / China.

Show us a review from an objective source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 03:48 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The dude use to live and love China, got into an altercation with Chinese police so he left China.

Now he has a vendetta against China and has an obvious hatred for them and anything Chinese government.

He is not exactly the best "objective" view on China.

Plus do you realize that plenty of Tesla fires occur too? There are websites dedicated to this fact.

All EV's have a potential for fires. Lithium ion batteries are notorious for dangerous explosions if not charged properly. I'm betting a lot of those "chinese fires" are due to bad chargers.

I'm not saying that what he is stating is complete BS, just saying that he has an obvious prejudice when it comes to anything Chinese / China.

Show us a review from an objective source.
Half the people posting here are just making stuff up, making false assertions that are informed by fear and hatred of China and the Chinese people, i.e. ideology and prejudice, and little else. The particulars are a little different, but it's largely the same as with any EV thread here - a lot of angry people spewing disinformation. I am out.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:07 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There is a currently a 27.5% US tariff on vehicles made in China, so for practical purposes, they're being kept out of America in any numbers.

While there is more to gauging quality than this, if you watch the video I posted, the two women say they prefer the interior of the Seal to the Model 3 Highland in terms of materials, comfort and ergonomics. They also say that the Seal is quieter and it rides better as well. All of BYD's vehicles being sold in Europe have received perfect 5-star crash ratings in the NCAP testing. These things suggest that quality is on par with Western vehicles at least.

I would also be very interested in seeing a Sandy Munro video on the Seal where they completely dismantle and analyze it - that's their "day job". So far, I haven't seen anything, but it's not that easy to get one in the US.
Yeah, sadly Munro didn't do an actual teardown on the Chinese EV that's been here for a number of years. They did a series of videos on it if anyone is interested but nothing wear they tore it apart ala the MachE or other products. The better build quality of the Chinese product was a big reason I went with it over Tesla. It's hard to argue with the value of Tesla though. Is it particularly well made? No. But yeah.... Model 3 starts at 39k whereas the Polestar 2 starts at 49k (but it's really 51k as you should not buy it without the Plus package. The Chinese car is in some ways better. Better built, RWD to RWD the range is better and the new battery (RWD only) for the Chinese car charges closer to Tesla speeds... but for most buyers they're not going to find it $11,000 better. And that's the most favorable configuration. If you add in AWD on the Chinese car you oddly get the old battery rather than the improved one so considerably less range and notably slower charging. About the only things that don't charge slower than a Polestar 2 (old batter like mine) are either previous gen products like the Bolt and Leaf or defective ones like the MachE. It's just not attractively priced and thus it sells in very low numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJHlFTrNvI

EX30 might be the first Chinese EV that sells in numbers. I don't know how Geely is really making that work from a business sense as it seems like a pretty decent product. Starting at $35,000 there's not a lot of wiggle room to pay for that tariff. My guess is they're just losing money on it. It gets Geely an entry level affordable product. They'll lose money on it and count on the rest of the lineup to make money which will mostly be made in the US ala the EX90 and Polestar 3 which are made here.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:49 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Check out these recent comments from Elon Musk during a recent Tesla earnings call...

“The Chinese car companies are the most competitive car companies in the world. So, I think they will have significant success outside of China depending on what kind of tariffs or trade barriers are established,” Musk said on Tesla’s earnings call Wednesday.

“Frankly, I think, if there are not trade barriers established, they will pretty much demolish most other companies in the world.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/25/elon...companies.html

On the internet, some people just dismiss Chinese carmakers by laughing at them and calling them cheap junk, but I can tell you that other carmakers' leaders clearly know better than to think that, and they're not laughing. Self-appointed internet experts also laugh at Tesla and say they could *never* compete with the mighty traditional carmakers - when all you need to do is to glance at the EV sales numbers to see that those traditional carmakers are not even in the same league as Tesla for unit sales on EVs, they are distant also-rans. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands