Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! I hope you all had a nice weekend.
Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

REMINDER ABOUT CLEANING UP EMAIL FORWARDS

Okay, I know some people here make it a point to never forward email messages, but this Tip is for those who do engage in forwarding from time to time. I've posted about this topic before, but I think it bears repeating.

When you receive forwarded emails from friends, they often contain all the email addresses of people who previously received and sent the message, as well as the names of everyone they forwarded them to. These are not only annoying to scroll past so you can get to the body of the message, but it is a violation of privacy for people send messages divulging all those addresses to their recipients.

Many people simply do not know that they can easily clean up messages before fowarding them. All you need to do is left-click at the beginning of the portion you want to delete, hold the mouse button down, and drag the cursor to the end of the portion you want to delete. This will highlight the portion to be deleted. (If you make a mistake and go too far, simply click anywhere on the sceen to clear the highlight and start over.) Let go of the left mouse button and then right-click once. This will give you a drop-down menu (a list of options). Left-click on "Delete." The highlighted material should immediately be deleted.

Occasionally, I get an email in which the highlight-and-delete procedure doesn't work. In that case, I go to the beginning of the portion I want to delete and simply hold down the "Delete" key to remove the material. If there's a lot to delete, this can be a little tedious, but at least it works.

Whenever you forward an email message that contains others' addresses, please take a moment and the courtesy to delete this material. It's a courtesy you should afford all of your friends.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM

72,421 posts, read 18,205,480 times
Hi Pammy! it is a great idea to delete everyone there to reduce the spam from emailing everyone else. I do that all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Oh how I hate to get onto one of those chain emails that gets passed around and forwarded on to others! Nothing is makes me more angry than to see this type of action on the part of someone else. I don’t want my email address passed on. In fact I don’t want any email that is sent to 30-50 other people. Leave me off those. They contain harmful programs viruses & Trojans within the email that can do damage to my pc.

Most all of those types of email have little or no truth to them. They typically are political or religious in nature but I don’t want them. The ones that I’ve checked out are always false, untrue, and completely a lie.

NOTE: Please forward this post on to ten friends and you'll be one of the final winners of the next lottery.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
That's an exceptionally good tip Pam, especially with these people hacking into our computers.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That's an exceptionally good tip Pam, especially with these people hacking into our computers.
Ditto here.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
They need a "Flush" handle on E-mails and my Direct messages.. Thanks Pam! I try to just avoid looking at my mail.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Thank you, Pam for bringing up this important issue!
Sadly, lots of people simply do not care and just forward emails with dozens of email addressed attached.
I myself talked to individuals with which I correspond and asked them to never forward my e-mail address along, but they just don't take the moment to clean their forwards.
And this is such a simple task: delete all the addresses and FWD it on addressing the "To" to yourself and the intended receipents as "BCC" .
Forwarding emails with all those addressed attached is one of the reason why alot of us are bombarded with junk mail.

Kudo: here is a little nifty program for cleaning the ">" and other formatting characters out of your emails.
It will restore "forwarded" or "replied" emails back to their original state so they're easier to read.
Download and save emailstripper.exe to your Desktop and execute it from there
emailSTRIPPER - Print management, quotas, control, monitoring and accounting - PaperCut

Last edited by elnina; 03-19-2012 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Good idea Pam. I don't know how to do it with my Mac so I just delete the other names

Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Great reminder, Pam. I've had to lay down the law with some folks who just don't get it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
I may not keep such a pristine house anymore but I make certain the emails I forward have ALL previous recipients removed. I even delete the "Fwd Fwd Fwd Fwd" from the Subject Line.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to educate people in my email circle about this several times. They just hit that "Forward" button and off it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics