Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times

Advertisements

Remember when phones were stuck to the wall and if anyone called at mealtime you hated getting up to answer it??

I would take the 5% discount in a heartbeat!! Why spend the money on a good meal if you are just going to be on your phone the whole time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,423,051 times
There was a comic on Jay Leno last night who did the funniest piece about cell phones and texting. He touched on many things included in this thread.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
My dad and stepmom instituted a 'no phones' rule at the table. Mostly because of my sister :P

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,239,530 times
Wish they would do this for grocery stores, I hate shopping in the first place, and these days there is someone around every corner blocking the aisle yapping on the phone.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
My dad and stepmom instituted a 'no phones' rule at the table. Mostly because of my sister :P
My aunt did basically the same thing last year after my cousins and their kids couldn't take their eyes off their phones on Thanksgiving. She was still spitting mad about it at Christmas.

Honestly, I don't mind the occasional phone check, but a lot of people say "just one text/just a sec" and 20 minutes later they're still futzing with their phone. It feels like "hi, am I boring you?"

Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Every parent should do this ^ !

Cell phone (and iPad, etc.) usage in the presence of others is extremely rude and completely out of hand!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,442,125 times
Absolutely.... my husband gives out his number to very few people...mine is even less.
Most get our home phone and leave a message if we are not there.
(We don't have situations where we really need a message asap, I realize some do.)
I wouldn't mind not taking phones in for the length of time it takes to enjoy a meal...

Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,546 times
As a sidenote to the phone usage conversation, a couple of weeks ago, my 16 yr old daughter had a friend fly down to MB and stay with us for a week. Let me tell you, this girl was on her iphone the entire flipping trip. We were out to dinner one evening and she spent the entire meal on her iphone not talking to us at all. It was the last straw and I finally called her out on it and told her to put it away for the rest of dinner because I got so p****d off. It's so rude, but I have a feeling her Mom is always on her phone too, so it's completely acceptable at their house. Man, I wanted to spit nails.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:40 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Default Just good etiquette...

Sharing a meal should be just that..Sharing a meal. The phones and gadgets can wait in the time it takes most people to eat. The restaurant is promoting this at their expense. Interesting.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:21 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Wish they would do this for grocery stores, I hate shopping in the first place, and these days there is someone around every corner blocking the aisle yapping on the phone.
Same here! I used to enjoy shopping, but this is one of the main reasons I don't anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics