Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times

Advertisements

Howdy y’all and welcome to the weekend! A lot of our QOTD family is getting ready for turkey day.
I’ll probably have me another Thanksgiving chicken

Now if you dare lets take a look at . . .

Today's Questions:

With the holiday right around the corner for those in the States, will you be:

Traveling to spend Thanksgiving with family or friends?
Having the holiday dinner at your house? (& what's on the menu)
Going out to a restaurant?
Other?

For those who live outside of the USA and have a similar type holiday, have you ever celebrated
more than one country’s Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Questions were delivered direct from the QOTD roving correspondent from an undisclosed
location in Arizona

If you were able to go back in history, let's say 60 years or more, and meet a famous historical figure, who
would that person be?(& it can be more than one person)

What would you ask or tell those people?

Today’s Just For Fun Question
So speaking of condom ads on TV (see Today in History) there are a few of us who remember when things
like a ‘husband & wife’ in bed (fully clothed) couldn’t be shown on TV (guess I just dated myself)

So tell us, what was the very first and most embarrassing (or shocking) commercial you saw on TV?
(& what year or decade)

Today in History:

1558 - Elizabeth I ascends English throne upon death of Queen Mary
1800 - John Adams is 1st President to move into the White House
1913 - Panama Canal opens
1973 - President Nixon tells AP "...people have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well,
I'm not a crook"
1991 - 1st TV condom ad aired (FOX- TV)
1992 - Dateline NBC airs a demonstration showing General Motors trucks, blowing up on impact; later revealed
NBC rigged test
2011 - In Sweden, divers find the wreckage of the Svardet, a warship sunk in 1676 during the Battle of
Oland

Quote of the Day:

”Tough times never last, but tough people do.”

~~Robert H. Schuller

Today Is:

World Peace Day
Take a Hike Day
National Farm Joke Day

Have a great weekend, y’all and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times
LOL! I just logged into CD and viola! I'm the first poster on the QOTD for Saturday ... Coolness

Sorry sloooooow pokes

Today's Questions:

Traveling to spend Thanksgiving with family or friends? I won't be traveling far but I'll be joining some friends as they travel to three homes for Thanksgiving
Other?

Today’s Bonus Questions
Today’s Bonus Questions were delivered direct from the QOTD roving correspondent from an undisclosed
location in Arizona

If you were able to go back in history, let's say 60 years or more, and meet a famous historical figure, who
would that person be?(& it can be more than one person) :
Jesus ... I have lots of questions for Him ...

So speaking of condom ads on TV (see Today in History) there are a few of us who remember when things
like a ‘husband & wife’ in bed (fully clothed) couldn’t be shown on TV (guess I just dated myself)

So tell us, what was the very first and most embarrassing (or shocking) commercial you saw on TV?
(& what year or decade)
: I cannot recall any specific commercial but I remember the tamer "sex" scenes from the soap operas in the early 80's ... That sure embarrassed the nine year old Chatteress There's a reason why I don't watch TV ... Nothing worthwhile on these days

Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,908 times
Default Qotd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Howdy y’all and welcome to the weekend! A lot of our QOTD family is getting ready for turkey day.

Today's Questions:

Other? Plans still up in the air. Will be a small, quiet one this year.

For those who live outside of the USA and have a similar type holiday, have you ever celebrated

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona

If you were able to go back in history, let's say 60 years or more, and meet a famous historical figure, who would that person be?(& it can be more than one person) For this century it would be Presidents Roosevelt and Truman. I would also like to talk to John Ross, who was an important leader in the Cherokee nation.

What would you ask or tell those people? I would like to hear the presidents talk about their administrations. I would want John Ross to see some of the memorials to the Cherokees and the Trail of Tears. Also, I would like to hear him talk about white settlement into the Cherokee lands.

(& what year or decade)
I'm 56 but I really don't remember.

Today in History:

1973 - President Nixon tells AP "...people have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook" Boy, I remember hearing this on television as a teenager.
1992 - Dateline NBC airs a demonstration showing General Motors trucks, blowing up on impact; later revealed
NBC rigged test
2011 - In Sweden, divers find the wreckage of the Svardet, a warship sunk in 1676 during the Battle of
Oland

Quote of the Day:

~~Robert H. Schuller

Today Is:

World Peace DayTake a Hike Day
National Farm Joke Day

I'm right behind you, Chatt. I don't think I've ever been second.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Today’s Question: Saturday, 17 November 2012

Today's Questions:

Going out to a restaurant? Uh for the first time in 40+years looks like it... though we'll still be cooking turkey at home.
Other?

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona

I give up!

(& what year or decade)

Today in History:

1973 - President Nixon tells AP "...people have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well,
I'm not a crook"
NBC rigged test
Oland

Quote of the Day:

~~Robert H. Schuller

Today Is:

World Peace Day
Take a Hike Day
National Farm Joke Day

Thanks JJoy!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM

7,370 posts, read 5,484,723 times
Yeah! The weekend is here! Hope everyone has a great one!

Today's Questions:

Traveling to spend Thanksgiving with family or friends? Just have to drive about 5 minutes to get to my brothers house.
Other?

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona

would that person be?(& it can be more than one person) Abraham Lincoln. Alot of attention on him right now because of the movie.

What would you ask or tell those people? Would like to hear his views about the Civil War.

(& what year or decade) I think it was in the 90's. Can't remember the commercial but it had something to do with gas (the bodily kind). I could not believe they showed that on TV!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:38 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
(& what year or decade)
B]Howdy y’all and welcome to the weekend! A lot of our QOTD family is getting ready for turkey day.

Today's Questions:

Having the holiday dinner at your house? (& what's on the menu) Yes, and the menu is turkey of course
Going out to a restaurant? I wish. I enjoy doing this.
Other?

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona

hmmmm, now who might that be ?

(& what year or decade) ~~~ A group of us were watching a show , I think it was "The Monkees" & a commercial came on for TAMPAX. OMG, it was soooo embarrassing. I think I may have left the room.

would that person be?(& it can be more than one person) Abraham Lincoln. Alot of attention on him right now because of the movie.

What would you ask or tell those people? ~ I would love to meet Jesus. There are so many many things I would want to know.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-16-2012 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Today's Questions:

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona
Harry S Truman
I would attend some cabinet meetings. I'd listen to their concerns and give them an earful of what the future holds, too.

(& what year or decade)
As a teenager I remember cringing at feminine products commercials when my parents were in the room.

Today Is:
Take a Hike Day

Last edited by bjh; 11-16-2012 at 10:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 10:24 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Today's Questions:

Other?
I will not be traveling on Thanksgiving this year. I hate going to restaurants on holidays. My pathetic look did not get me any invites. So I guess I will be eating at home. Hopefully I can score on some Alaskan Jumbo King Crab. If not then I will have to go to plan "B". Currently at this time I have no idea what-so-ever what plan "B" is. If any of you happen to stumble across a copy of plan "B" could you possible send me a copy of it.

Today’s Bonus Questions
location in Arizona

Actually I only want to go back to 1975 and meet Bill Gates.

I would suggest he start his own computer software company. I would even offer to become an investor.

(& what year or decade)
There were no TV stations where I lived when I got to the age where I might be shocked or embarrased by commercials. By the time we moved somewhere that had TV I was past that stage of my life.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Today's Questions:

Other?

For those who live outside of the USA and have a similar type holiday, have you ever celebrated more than one country’s Thanksgiving?

I remember we used to have Harvest Festival at school in UK when I was growing up, but it involved bringing in food to give to the poor. All the food was arranged as artistically as possible on the stage in the school hall and then we'd sing songs. No special meal was involved. That's the closest I've ever come to Thanksgiving. Although I've been to the US countless times, I always visit in your late spring or summer.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Today’s Bonus Questions were delivered direct from the QOTD roving correspondent from an undisclosed location in Arizona

If you were able to go back in history, let's say 60 years or more, and meet a famous historical figure, who would that person be?(& it can be more than one person)

I'll choose Christopher Columbus, and chat with him about his travels!

(& what year or decade)

In UK, and later in Australia, we used to laugh at the prudish depiction of American married couples, who always slept in neck to toe pajamas and in separate beds! We had a TV soapie called No. 96 which, in 1972, became famous for dealing with sex, full frontal nudity and homosexuality long before the subjects were tackled in the US and UK. Anyone who watched No. 96 quickly lost any sense of shock or embarrassment!

http://aso.gov.au/titles/series/number-96/

Thanks JJ!

Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Kobber; 11-16-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,729,914 times

Today's Questions:

Having the holiday dinner at your house? (& what's on the menu) Yes
I'm recovering from a minor foot injury so I shouldn't do a big extravaganza. Trader Joe's has a boneless turkey breast with cornbread stuffing that will be fine for my husband and me. They also have side dishes that only need to be reheated. But if my stepsister joins us, I will have to prepare homemade dishes, so I've got my fingers crossed that she'll decide to have Thanksgiving with her son instead. Then I can put my feet up instead of having to put on the dog.
Other?

Today’s Bonus Question:

I would love to meet Buddy Holly.
I would tell him to take the bus instead of flying so that he would live to write another lifetime's worth of great songs.

(& what year or decade)
When I was a teenager in the mid 1960s I used to be absolutely mortified when they started showing commercials for feminine hygiene products like Kotex on TV. I was afraid that one of those commercials would come on when I was watching TV with my very shy Southern Baptist boyfriend and that I would die of embarrassment. Those were more innocent times.

Thanks, JustJoy!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-16-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics