Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,050,028 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)?

Tonka Toys, Hot Wheels, Lincoln Logs, Play Dough.

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job.

I worked in an ice cream store. I was 16 years old and worked there on weekends while in school and varied days/hours during the summer. Even though it was hectic at times it was a fairly easy job overall. We got two free scoops of ice cream every shift we worked so that was nice.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up?

I think I have four coffee cups.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week?

Probably about 20 to 25, many of them being junk mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,341,138 times
Hello!

Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)?
Barbies, of course. Action figures such as GI Joe. And I do remember the Cabbage Patch Kids - always found them ugly, to be honest.

Extra Credit Question:

Language assistant in an English middle school. Great experience.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up? Enough for everyone, we have tons of them.

Just for fun:
How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? I haven't a clue.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,833,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I wonder if everyone else noticed that our favorite games were usually ones that required exercise (but it did not seem like that) . We would ride bikes and play outdoors forever. I never see kids anywhere outside now. It's a different world.
Can't rep you yet but I know what you mean. I keep the shorties moving when they come here. We really like ice skating and walking Howie.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,989,850 times
Today’s Question:

Coke dispenser....robots..

Extra Credit Question:

Don't remember which was first.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up?
10 or 12 maybe more being stored somewhere.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week?
Maybe 20 along with the crap.

Today in History:

1790 George Washington delivers first state of union address
1806 Lewis and Clark find skeleton of 105' blue whale in Oregon
1889 Dr. Herman Hollerith receives first U.S. patent for a tabulating machine (computer) – this article is quite interesting: Herman Hollerith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1894 Columbus World's fair in Chicago destroyed by fire
And last, but not least:
1992 George Bush gets ill and vomits on Japanese prime minister's lap

Today’s Word:

Pseudology / soo-DOL-uh-jee \ , noun;
1. Lying considered as an art.

Today Is:

Bubble Bath Day
Earth’s Rotation Day
National English Toffee Day
Midwife’s Day
Show and Tell Day at Work
War on Poverty Day
National JoyGerm Day National JoyGerm Day - What-the-Heck Holidays
Thanks Kobber!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,674,912 times
[quote=Kobber;27673188]Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for January 8th, 2013. Extremely hot round these parts today – over 100F (humid too). In Sydney it’s even hotter – up around 106F. Spare a thought for all those tennis players competing in the Sydney International (lead-up event to the Australian Open) where it’s even hotter on the courts, and for the fire-fighters dealing with countless bushfires. We’re getting the 106F temp tomorrow. Oh joy.

Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)? Thumbelina doll. Click-clack balls. Spaldings.

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job. My first paying job was babysitting.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up?Maybe 20 cups.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? Zero, just about everything is auto-debit. We hardly visit the post office box.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,873,952 times
Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)? Growing up on a farm, we were not well off & didn't have much in the way of "toys." I do remember pogo sticks and playing marbles. My mother saved for years and bought us an above ground pool when I was a teen. We spent our days in the fields and woods. Rainy days were spent reading, doing crafts or playing card and board games.

Extra Credit Question:

I didn't have a job until going to college. My first job was either as a waitress or working at the college library...... don't remember which came first.... Oh! Babysitting. Forgot about that! One family I sat for had a huge house, well for me it was huge. There were many clocks that would chime on the hour. The problem was they were all set to different times. It was a little spooky.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up? Finding mugs would not be a problem. The problem would be that someone would need to bring a coffee pot and coffee. Though I love coffee I don't drink it often. I have a tremor and caffeine makes it much worse.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? I get maybe five a month. Everything else is junk mail.

Did you all have a good day?

Last edited by kpinvt; 01-08-2013 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM

20,448 posts, read 14,768,835 times
It has been a good day so far. I just found out that a deal between some friends (one party being a beer crafter and the other a rock band) is going to be far bigger and more profitable for ALL involved than I thought. It is pretty exciting news. I was the one who put them in communication to get the ball rolling. My friend, the beer guy, who is also a big fan of said band...he is very, very excited. He's been texting me all day.

This is what changed an ordinary and rather dull day at the office into one where cool stuff is happening!

Also I went to a restaurant for lunch instead of eating leftovers at my desk. There was bacon involved.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM

21,608 posts, read 8,776,380 times
Today’s Question:

Betsy Wetsy and Tiny Tears dolls, Daisy air rifles, cap guns, roller skates that clamped onto your shoes, pogo sticks, pedal cars, hula hoops, jacks, jump ropes, Chinese checkers, Lincoln logs, Erector sets, chemistry sets, magic slates (you wrote or drew pictures on them, then lifted the clear film to "erase" the image), Slinky, squirt guns, paddle balls.

Extra Credit Question:

I worked as a clerk-typist for a small offset printing company. My job paid $285 per month, and I still remember the net amount of each weekly paycheck -- $52.78. My allowance at home had been $5 a week, so by comparison I felt incredibly wealthy!

Bonus Question:

At least two dozen. I have acquired more coffee mugs over the years than I know what to do with. Many of them are boxed up in the garage

Just for fun:

Not counting advertising and junk mail, I'd guess between 5 and 10.

Thanks, Kobber!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics