Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,492,240 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for January 8th, 2013. Extremely hot round these parts today – over 100F (humid too). In Sydney it’s even hotter – up around 106F. Spare a thought for all those tennis players competing in the Sydney International (lead-up event to the Australian Open) where it’s even hotter on the courts, and for the fire-fighters dealing with countless bushfires. We’re getting the 106F temp tomorrow. Oh joy.

Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)?

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up?

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week?

Today in History:

1790 George Washington delivers first state of union address
1806 Lewis and Clark find skeleton of 105' blue whale in Oregon
1889 Dr. Herman Hollerith receives first U.S. patent for a tabulating machine (computer) – this article is quite interesting: Herman Hollerith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1894 Columbus World's fair in Chicago destroyed by fire
And last, but not least:
1992 George Bush gets ill and vomits on Japanese prime minister's lap

Today’s Word:

Pseudology / soo-DOL-uh-jee \ , noun;
1. Lying considered as an art.

Today Is:

Bubble Bath Day
Earth’s Rotation Day
National English Toffee Day
Midwife’s Day
Show and Tell Day at Work
War on Poverty Day
National JoyGerm Day National JoyGerm Day - What-the-Heck Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,011,950 times
Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)?
Tonka Toys, Play Dough, Hot Wheels

Extra Credit Question:

My first job violated just about every child labor law that ever was or will ever be. I was 12 and worked at a general store. Often I was there by myself. In addition to food, the store also sold rifles and ammo. The same people owned the lodge across the street. They would give me free lunch if I stocked the beer coolers. They also owned the power plant for the valley. Once in a while I would work at the power plant degreasing the generators while they were still running. The owner also had a bush plane. I would help him work on it. During the school year I worked 3 hours after school 5 days a week and 8 hours on Sat. During the summer I work 48 hours a week. Best job I ever had.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up?
The coffee cups would not be a problem. I have at least a dozen. The problem would be the coffee. I do not drink coffee. Thus I have no coffee.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week?
Not many. I do all of my bill paying online. I get all of my statements online as well. I usually stop by the P.O. to check my box every couple of months. Of the 30 or 40 pieces of mail crammed inside the box, 95 percent of it will be junk mail.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 01-08-2013 at 04:54 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,343,661 times
Good morning, Kobber, and thanks for the questions!

Today’s Question:

Roller skates were a big hit in our neighborhood. Barbie and Ken dolls were introduced when I was a small child, and although I never really got into them, most of the girls on my block could play with them for hours.

Extra Credit Question:

Not a lot to tell - I was a part-time cashier in a little market about a mile from home. The only interesting thing was that the owner (who was something of a scumbag) paid me below minimum wage the entire time, claiming that part-time workers weren't eligible for minimum-wage protection. He got caught by the US Department of Labor a couple of years later, and I got a nice surprise in the form of a check for back wages in the mail. It was enough to pay for my books at school for a semester.

Bonus Question:

Ha! With all the mugs I've been making at the pottery studio the past year and a half, I think I could serve coffee to at least a regiment! Not that they'd all fit into my tiny house, of course.

Just for fun:

Actual correspondence - maybe five or six
Junk mail - dozens and dozens and dozens

Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,911,888 times
Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)? hula hoops

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job. washing dishes part time at 13 years of age during the summer.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up? no problem,,, about 30 different mugs plus another 24 cups that we normally don't use.

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? Maybe 2 per week.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM

11,383 posts, read 9,302,949 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to QOTD for January 8th, 2013. Extremely hot round these parts today – over 100F (humid too). In Sydney it’s even hotter – up around 106F. Spare a thought for all those tennis players competing in the Sydney International (lead-up event to the Australian Open) where it’s even hotter on the courts, and for the fire-fighters dealing with countless bushfires. We’re getting the 106F temp tomorrow. Oh joy.

Etch A Sketch, Operation, Monopoly, Checkers.
Most of the time I just rode my bike.

Quote:
Paper route for The Washington Post. My route was huge. Many people used to get newspapers delivered. The demise of reading a newspaper as well as the downgrade in it's size makes me a little sad.

Quote:
None. I do not drink coffee. It is very rare I have any guests over no matter where I was living so the chances of me buying a coffee maker is nil. I do not like the smell of it and I hate what caffeine does to my head even worse.

Quote:
1-2.

Have a great day, everyone!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,884 times
Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)? Light Bright, viewmaster

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job. other than babysitting, bean walking or detasseling, then it would be as a cashier at the local convenience store.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up? probably around 15 - 20

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? too many

Today Is:

Bubble Bath Day Sounds good but what I need to soak is my neck and we don't have a deep bathtub. I guess I could go in head first but that makes it a little hard to breathe.

Have a good day!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,884 times
Quote:
We need more of these days and less IAmBetterThanYouCrabbyMyWayIsTheOnlyWayGerm Day.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 AM

36,445 posts, read 16,052,777 times
Today’s Question:

Hula hoops, roller skates, skateboards, slinky, slip n slide.

Extra Credit Question:

I worked for the county I lived in my senior year in HS. I worked 1/2 day and went to school 1/2 day. I did accounting, then went full time after I graduated. Then got promoted, then got married and moved away

Bonus Question:

I could rustle up about 10 but I don't have that many friends

Just for fun:

Maybe 1

Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,930,554 times
Good morning to all! It was quite difficult to get out of bed today. And to think, there's only 93 more working days until the next holiday here at the office. Thank goodness for the week of carryover vacation. That will certainly be a sanity helper!

Today’s Question:

My bike, Matchbox cars, yoyo's, slinky, board games, etc.

Extra Credit Question:

I had three paper routes at the same time. I delivered the morning paper, the afternoon paper, and the twice a week freebie paper. I was only 10 years old or so. I inherited the routes from my brothers as they didn't want them any longer.

Bonus Question:

We have 25 or more coffee cups and mugs in the cabinet. That's not even counting the china.

Just for fun:

Probably 12-15 each week. We get so much stuff in the mail and then have to figure out a way to action it and file it for safekeeping. I hate it!

Today Is:

Bubble Bath Day
Earth’s Rotation Day
National English Toffee Day
Midwife’s Day
Show and Tell Day at Work
War on Poverty Day
National JoyGerm Day National JoyGerm Day - What-the-Heck Holidays

Have a great day everybody!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,552,006 times
Good morning all! It's a balmy 60 this morning which means it will be about 80 high.

Today’s Question:

Which toys do you remember being especially popular when you were a kid (pogo sticks, hula hoops, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Pony – whatever)? Pogo stickes, Kerplunk, hula hoops, barbies, stilts, lincoln logs....I worked retail when Cabbage Patch dolls came out...OMG....what a stampede and rude people during the Christmas shopping period!

Extra Credit Question:

Tell us a little about your first job. Aside from babysitting de-tasselling corn and hoeing beens, it was Tastee Freeze....I was 15...did everything from serving the food to cooking it and cleaning up.

Bonus Question:

If a bunch of friends turned up at your place for coffee without telling you beforehand, how many coffee mugs/cups would you be able to rustle up? 15-20 easily

Just for fun:

How many letters (bills, bank statements, insurance renewals and so on) do you get in your mail box in an average week? Most are online so maybe 3?

Have a great day everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics