Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 AM

44,411 posts, read 20,156,446 times

Advertisements

Hello, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

HOMEMADE HOT COCOA

Isn't it great to snuggle up on a chilly day with a steamy mug of hot cocoa? Don't bother with the stuff that comes in packets or a can. Make your own! This way, you can have complete control over the amount of fat and sugar that goes into your beverage, and you can make it as chocolatey as you want.

If you don't care about the calories, you can make a decadent hot cocoa with cream or half-and-half. Or you can use skim milk, as I do, and still have a delicious chocolatey beverage.

Here's how I make my hot cocoa. (Keep in mind that all measurements are approximate, as I just eyeball it.)

In a small saucepan, place 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar OR 1 packet of Splenda or other sugar substitute. Blend these dry ingredients well with a whisk, fork or spoon. Add a small dash of salt. Very slowly, stir in 2 cups of milk. (I use skim, but you can use any kind you like.) Start with a very small amount of the milk and stir for a while until the cocoa absorbs it. Then slowly add the rest of the milk. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Heat your cocoa mixture on your stovetop over medium-low to medium heat, stirring constantly, but slowly. When the cocoa is steamy hot, but not quite boiling, it's ready to drink! Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy! (This makes two servings, by the way. I rarely stop at one. )

Note that you can adjust the recipe any way you'd like. Taste it while it's heating. If it's not sweet enough, add some sweetener. If it's too sweet, add some more milk.

Now here's a recipe from allrecipes.com which is really decadent: Creamy Hot Cocoa Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here's one more little bonus Tip. While you're heating your cocoa, fill your mug with hot tap water and let it sit to warm the mug. This way, your cocoa will stay nice and warm as you drink it.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,841,653 times
That sounds way better than my Soymilk and Hershey's syrup in the microwave recipe. Don't forget the marshmallows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,955,123 times
I'm not a cocoa user! hot or cold.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,263,691 times
It never gets cold enough here for me to cook up a cocoa drink but that looks delicious! If anyone is passing by with a thermos filled with hot cocoa, I'll take a cup! I'm on 123 Kitty Kat Lane!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,054,714 times
Nice tip Pam, thanks! I usually just drink the hot cocoa that comes in packets but this recipe looks pretty easy to make so I might try it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,805,741 times
Default love making homemade hot chocolate

Although I do mines differently than yours. Sometimes I heat it up in the microwave or I will use a pot, but I take chunks of chocolate; milk chocolate or dark chocolate, I don't really need any sweetner since chocolate is naturally sweet, especially the milk chocolate, and I used to use regular milk and that's it.

I'm going to have to try this with allmond milk though or coconut or rice milk.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM

44,411 posts, read 20,156,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Although I do mines differently than yours. Sometimes I heat it up in the microwave or I will use a pot, but I take chunks of chocolate; milk chocolate or dark chocolate, I don't really need any sweetner since chocolate is naturally sweet, especially the milk chocolate, and I used to use regular milk and that's it.

I'm going to have to try this with allmond milk though or coconut or rice milk.
I'll bet it's yummy with almond milk. Good ide!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM

16,722 posts, read 17,498,700 times
Sorry Pam- that's not my cup of tea.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,153,940 times
Sounds wonderful Pam!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,618,022 times
A little Nutella stirred in gives it zip..1/2 of the tip of a spoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics