Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Am I a grouch?

I detest cold callers and anyone else entering my property that I have not invited, friends and relatives (well some of them ) deliveries we have ordered and postman excepted.

I'm sitting here at the computer and someone has put a charity collection bag through the letter box a few feet from where I am sitting. We get a couple of these bags each blooming week.

Then there are the home improvement salesmen, and the religious callers. I strongly suspect that the ones asking to do our driveway-which is perfectly fine- are casing the joint.

When we lived in a gated community in the US I thought we would have escaped cold callers, but I reckoned without the Scouts selling cookies.

I have a No Cold Callers sign up at the end of the drive but that does not stop some people, some of which I don't think understand, or choose to understand, English.

What's your feeling on this subject?

Maybe you're more tolerant than me, maybe not.

Let's find out because (and not for the first time I think) the POTD is;

Cold Callers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 AM

Here with a hotch potch of pet photos, some recent, one four years old;

Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
It's a Federal offense, presumably, for anyone other than official mail carrier to use the mail boxes in the U.S. We're now on cell only... so I'd best not get a call from anyone I don't know. Great photos of your pets Jezer. We've just added a puppy to our family.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:35 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Cold-callers (solicitors - different meaning on this side of the pond ) aren't allowed in my neighborhood and are quickly tossed from the property. However, we deal with a different type of "cold-caller" - the telemarketer . These "cold callers" are bottom-feeders and I treat them as such. Sometimes I just answer the phone and let them ramble on with the phone sitting on the counter. Other times I'll act interested in the scam and actually give them a credit card number (a bogus one). They sound very enthused until the card doesn't go through and they ask if I have another credit card.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 AM

Thanks Dirt Grinder- I remember the term solicitors, and they were banned from our gated community. That made me all the more peeved that people living in the community were breaking their own rules.

As for telemarketers- believe me we have had that as a peeve before!

SATX- good luck with your new puppy!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 AM

DG, I do the same with sales people that don't shut up when told NO! (Well, not the credit card thing) Thanks Jezer!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:06 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...Well, not the credit card thing...
Hey, I try to give them the valid number but they call me when I don't have my reading glasses handy and I don't have the patience to try to recite the number again when it turns out to be incorrect. Please don't think I would intentionally try to deceive them.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
[ghost busters] human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria [/ghost busters]

Love your pets Jezer.

I have a sign on my front door stating no soliciters. Don't know why I even bothered. Nobody reads it. Especially the cold callers.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hey, I try to give them the valid number but they call me when I don't have my reading glasses handy and I don't have the patience to try to recite the number again when it turns out to be incorrect. Please don't think I would intentionally try to deceive them.
We have the young and now older people knocking at our door. Newspaper companies are dying left and right and send these poor folks out to literally beg for subscriptions. They teach them to not take no for an answer. I've considered many options to silence these loons! No, I certainly didn't take any deceptive meaning from your post. It's frustrating dealing with these people.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:06 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
No, you're not a grouch. I resent those pesky door-to-door solicitors and telemarketers and consider them an invasion of privacy. My attitude is, Who gave you permission to do business on my property?

We get a lot of those sales people. They're like a plague of locusts. It's gotten so bad that we don't answer the door any more unless we are expecting a guest or a delivery. We don't answer the phone, either, unless we know who's on the other end of the line. All incoming telephone calls get screened, and if we recognize the voice leaving the message, we pick up. Most of the direct mail solicitations go into the rubbish bin except for those select charities that we have decided to support.

On those few occasions when a telemarketer does get through, I am always polite and tell them right away that I'm not interested. If they persist, I explain that I have made it my policy not to do business with anyone unless I have placed the call, and that I will absolutely not under any circumstances give my credit card number or any other financial information to a stranger who calls me.

Nice doggie and kitty photos. Hi, Molly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics