Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:33 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. A geometric design.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? NO. If you did, how did it go?

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? We lived near each other and had the same group of friends.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? Take care and believe in yourself. Don't rush into another relationship.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Rice Krispies, Oatmeal. Do they still make them now? Yes. Do you still eat them? Not very often.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? Cartoons, yes.

Who were your favorite characters? Pixie & Dixie, Mighty Mouse, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Bugs Bunny, Pepe Le Pew, Foghorn Leghorn.............

Today in History:
1662 – England and Netherlands sign peace treaty.
1716 – First lighthouse in American colonies lit (Boston Harbor).
1741 – George Frideric Handel completes oratorio “The Messiah” after working non-stop for 23 days.
1752 – Britain and American colonies adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept. 13).
1807 – Aaron Burr acquitted of a misdemeanor in the duel that killed Alexander Hamilton.
1812 – Napoleon occupies Moscow.
1814 – Francis Scott Key writes the poem that becomes the lyrics to “Star-Spangled Banner,” the U.S. national anthem.
1829 – Russian-Turkish war ends.
1847 – U. S. Marine troops enter Mexico City (“the halls of Montezuma”).
1848 – Alexander Stewart opens the first U.S. department store.
1862 – Federal troops escape from beleaguered Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
1868 – Golf’s first recorded hole in one (Tom Morris at Prestwick’s 8th hole).
1876 – Explorer-journalist Henry Morton Stanley’s expedition leaves Rwanda.
1886 – George K. Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patents the first typewriter ribbon.
1894 – Hottentot uprising in Southwest Africa fails.
1899 – Henry Bliss becomes first automobile fatality in the U.S.
1901 – Theodore Roosevelt sworn in, becoming youngest U.S. President in history.
1923 – Jack Dempsey KO’s Luis Firpo in 2 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
1930– Nazis gain 107 seats in German election.
1938 – Graf Zeppelin, world’s largest airship, makes maiden flight.
1939 – British fleet attacks German U-39 boat.
1940 – German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; hundreds die.
1944 – Hurricane hits New England; 389 die.
1948 – Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters in New York City.
1948 – Milton Berle begins his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
1953 – Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
1953 – New York Yankees clinch 5th straight World Series pennant.
1957 – UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary.
1958 – Two rockets designed by German engineer Ernst Mohr reach the upper atmosphere.
1959 – USSR’s Luna 2 is the first spacecraft to land on the moon.
1960 – Chubby Checker’s hit record “The Twist” reaches #1.
1960 – Petroleum exporting cartel OPEC formed by Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1964 – Walt Disney awarded Medal of Freedom at the White House.
1972 – West Germany and Poland establish diplomatic relations.
1973 – Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s.
1975 – Mother Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton canonized as first U.S.-born saint by Pope Paul VI.
1975 – Rembrandt’s 1642 painting “Night Watch” slashed and damaged in Amsterdam.
1978 – The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes over 50 bombs in towns across Northern Ireland over the next 5 days, injuring 37 people.
1983 – U.S. House of Representatives votes 416 to 0 for a resolution to condemn Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner.
1994 – All 28 baseball team owners vote to cancel the rest of the 1994 season.
2001 – National Prayer Services in memory of the September 11 attacks held in the capitals of the U.S. and Canada. May all the people lost R.I.P.
2007 –Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially lifted by Pope Benedict XVI.

Word of the Day:
aleatory \ AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ adjective

: characterized by chance or random elements

Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Today is
National Cream-Filled Donut Day
National Pet Memorial Day
Have a nice day, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 05:45 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.
I just use the blue background that was on the computer when I got it

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go?
Nope. You are going to have to corner this mutt the old fashion way.

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?
Never been married or partnered. Everytime I try to pick up someone working a street corner she turns out to be an undercover cop.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup?
The best advice I can give is find someone else to get advice from.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?
Froot Loops. I have some every now and then.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid?
Sadly my prime cartoon watching years were spent somewhere that did not have any tv stations. These same locations wanted like a months worth of allowance for just one comic book. Once in a while a new family from civilization would move in. If they had kids all of us other kids would make friends with them in a hurry on the chance they brought comic books with them.

Who were your favorite characters?
Any of the ones on the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show. Also liked Archie Comics, Andy Capp, Wizard Of Id, Peanuts, Popey, Casper, Tom & Jerry, The Flintstones, BC, Woody Woodpecker and the list goes on...

Old 09-14-2014, 05:47 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
My laptop has just a simple default wallpaper, which is some streets somewhere.
My husband, when I was married, was a drummer in a band and funny thing is, I simply suggested as a joke we should be married, before you know it, we were married...
My favourite breakfast cereals, even today, Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, Frosted Rice Krispies, Grape Nuts Flakes....
Happy Sunday everyone.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:03 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. I have an aquarium as my screensaver. Been wanting an aquarium for quite a while but we can't really afford it right now plus there's not really a good place to put one in our house. So this is the next best thing. lol

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? I used them 2or 3 times and had pretty good luck!

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? My wife and I met on an online dating site and will celebrate our 12th anniversary in December. I'd say that's pretty good luck, wouldn't you? lol

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? Just take it easy and take care of yourself. Don't let it get you down

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? They still make them just under healthier names. Sugar Pop, Sugar Crisps, Trix, Lucky Charms. Now I eat more Lucky Charms and Honey Nut Cheerios. I'll still pick up a box of Sugar Pops every now and then. "Gotta have my pops!"

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? I did both

Who were your favorite characters? Was big on Archie and his friends in comics. Can't believe they recently let Archie die in his comic book!! In cartoons, I liked the quiet ones, Tom and Jerry, Pink Panther. No talking, just action. But I was also a fan of Looney Toons! Foghorn Leghorn was one of my favorites, but enjoyed all the Looney Toons.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:49 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
os

nope
by chance
Better to live miserable than die happy.

captain crunch
cartoons
foghorn leghorn

Last edited by oeccscclhjhn; 09-14-2014 at 07:01 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. Personalized wallpaper -- a photo I took of a vacant shop window covered completely with the quotation -- "Dance like nobody's watching, sing like nobody's listening...".

How did you meet your spouse? Met him on a cruise around New Zealand.

Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? Yes -- it was a bust.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? Trite I know, but you'll get over it. Give it time.

What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Weetbix. I don't know if they still make them. Winter favorite was porridge with milk and brown sugar.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? No TV in New Zealand until I was in college, so no cartoons. Don't think I read comics.

Thanks B4 and happy Sunday all.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,207 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. Currently, it is a picture I look of a sunset at my old apartment complex. Sunsets there were always amazing!

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? Nope - never have.

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? We actually met on AOL when chat rooms were popular! It was a local one, and I think I im'ed him first because he was funny. We talked for 9 months online, and then decided to meet. Were friends for a little while, dated and then married and now we are trying for baby.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? That the pain they are feeling is only temporary, and this too will pass. That everything happens for a reason, and there is something out there better for you.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? My favorite breakfast cereals as a kid - for healthy Special K and for junk cinnamon toast crunch. They still make them, and I still eat them. Special K is still my favorite cereal.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? I watched cartoons.

Who were your favorite characters? Scooby Doo, Big Bird and Punky Brewster.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 AM

12,162 posts, read 2,959,937 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.
Picture of our cats.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? No way!

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? At college.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? There are more fish in the sea.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?
Oatmeal, cheerios. Yes. Yes.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? Cartoons, yes, comic books, no.

Who were your favorite characters? Pink panther.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
Happy Sunday all!

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. I have no wallpaper picture on my laptop. I have a fall scene of apples on my Ipad. I have a picture of my two grandchildren on my Iphone.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? no

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? I met my husband in a bar.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? move on. Be with your friends or other support system as much as possible.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? Frosted Flakes, Cap'n Crunch, Quisp, Coco Puffs, Cherrios, Chex, Trix, Lucky Charms. I think they still all of them except Quisp. I rarely eat this kind of cereal anymore.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? yes

Who were your favorite characters? Archie. Tom and Jerry, The Flintstone, The Jetsons, Bugs Bunny.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
It's flowers and it's on the menu, not even sure how to personalize it

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go?
No I've never done that, thought about it but not yet

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?
I met both my exes through friends

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup?
Give yourself plenty of time to get over it before getting involved again

Just For Fun:
I liked Lucky Charms and I loved Golden Grahams, and yes they still make both of them and I eat them on occasion, not very often

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid?
watched cartoons

Who were your favorite characters?
Speedy Gonzalas, Scooby and Shaggy, Tom and Jerry

Today in History:
1662 – England and Netherlands sign peace treaty.
1716 – First lighthouse in American colonies lit (Boston Harbor).
1741 – George Frideric Handel completes oratorio “The Messiah” after working non-stop for 23 days.
1752 – Britain and American colonies adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept. 13).
1807 – Aaron Burr acquitted of a misdemeanor in the duel that killed Alexander Hamilton.
1812 – Napoleon occupies Moscow.
1814 – Francis Scott Key writes the poem that becomes the lyrics to “Star-Spangled Banner,” the U.S. national anthem.
1829 – Russian-Turkish war ends.
1847 – U. S. Marine troops enter Mexico City (“the halls of Montezuma”).
1848 – Alexander Stewart opens the first U.S. department store.
1862 – Federal troops escape from beleaguered Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
1868 – Golf’s first recorded hole in one (Tom Morris at Prestwick’s 8th hole).
1876 – Explorer-journalist Henry Morton Stanley’s expedition leaves Rwanda.
1886 – George K. Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patents the first typewriter ribbon.
1894 – Hottentot uprising in Southwest Africa fails.
1899 – Henry Bliss becomes first automobile fatality in the U.S.
1901 – Theodore Roosevelt sworn in, becoming youngest U.S. President in history.
1923 – Jack Dempsey KO’s Luis Firpo in 2 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
1930– Nazis gain 107 seats in German election.
1938 – Graf Zeppelin, world’s largest airship, makes maiden flight.
1939 – British fleet attacks German U-39 boat.
1940 – German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; hundreds die.
1944 – Hurricane hits New England; 389 die.
1948 – Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters in New York City.
1948 – Milton Berle begins his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
1953 – Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
1953 – New York Yankees clinch 5th straight World Series pennant.
1957 – UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary.
1958 – Two rockets designed by German engineer Ernst Mohr reach the upper atmosphere.
1959 – USSR’s Luna 2 is the first spacecraft to land on the moon.
1960 – Chubby Checker’s hit record “The Twist” reaches #1.
1960 – Petroleum exporting cartel OPEC formed by Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1964 – Walt Disney awarded Medal of Freedom at the White House.
1972 – West Germany and Poland establish diplomatic relations.
1973 – Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s.
1975 – Mother Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton canonized as first U.S.-born saint by Pope Paul VI.
1975 – Rembrandt’s 1642 painting “Night Watch” slashed and damaged in Amsterdam.
1978 – The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes over 50 bombs in towns across Northern Ireland over the next 5 days, injuring 37 people.
1983 – U.S. House of Representatives votes 416 to 0 for a resolution to condemn Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner.
1994 – All 28 baseball team owners vote to cancel the rest of the 1994 season.
2001 – National Prayer Services in memory of the September 11 attacks held in the capitals of the U.S. and Canada.
2007 –Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially lifted by Pope Benedict XVI.

Word of the Day:
aleatory \ AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ adjective

: characterized by chance or random elements

Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Today is
National Cream-Filled Donut Day
National Pet Memorial Day

Thanks BayArea!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics