Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:14 AM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone! It’s September first and the last weekend of summer. Before we put away our shorts and swimsuits and get out our wool scarves and winter coats, let’s do some reminiscing about happy summer times.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child?

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things?

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could?

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]?

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities?

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin?

TODAY IN HISTORY
69 – Traditional date of the destruction of Jerusalem
1535 – French navigator Cartier reaches Hochelaga (Montréal, Ontario, Canada)
1689 – Russia begins taxing men’s beards
1715 – French King Louis XIV dies after 72 years on the throne, the longest reign of any major European monarch.
1752 – Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1804 – Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding
1859 – First Pullman sleeping car in service
1862 – U.S. Federal tax levied on tobacco
1878 - First female telephone operator, Emma M. Nutt, begins work in Boston
1897 – Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America
1909 – Alberta and Saskatchewan become the 8th and 9th Canadian provinces
1923 – 7.9 Earthquake strikes Tokyo and Yokohama, killing 142,000.

TODAY'S WORD
Entropy \ˈen-trə-pē\
1. a. The measure of unavailable thermodynamic energy within a closed system. b. Broadly, the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system.
2. a. The degradation of the matter or energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity. b. A process of degradation or running down, or a trend to disorder.

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
Chicken Boy’s Day
Building and Code Staff Recognition Day
Calendar Adjustment Day
Emma M. Nutt Day

QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.” – H. G. Wells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:15 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS Yay

What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? Play outdoor games, usually hide and seek. Parents made us go hide while they pretended to seek. Sometimes we did the kick the can game too.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? LOL...no

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Hide and seek. Then I could read my favorite magazines.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? None to speak of except the 2 weeks I was sent away to summer camp in the mountains, that was neat.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Not personally, just the Olson Twins and the DoubleMint Twins.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? Same dress, they looked the same too..

JUST FOR FUN

Have you ever wished you were a twin? No.

"Happy Sunday", hope it's a good one, enjoy...

Last edited by wit-nit; 09-01-2013 at 12:26 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Good morning, everyone! It’s September first and the last weekend of summer. Before we put away our shorts and swimsuits and get out our wool scarves and winter coats, let’s do some reminiscing about happy summer times.
What'cha talkin' 'bout Willis! It's hotter than a sizzlin', roasted habanero pepper here in Chatterland so we ain't about to get those wool scarves and winter coats out just yet ...

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Play outside in the water/sprinkers (we did not have a pool) and go to Redondo Beach Pier

Nope ... Don't live close enough to Redondo Beach (although I did go on my birthday this year) and I don't play in the sprinklers

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could?
N/A

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?
I can't think of the happiest summer as my life has been a blur with ups and downs.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Yes ... I've known at least three sets of identical twins - two sets were classmates and the other attended my church.

Separate identities ...

JUST FOR FUN
Sometimes, I do but would have likely been separated as I was adopted.

Last edited by Chatteress; 09-01-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

The whole family would go camping. During my early teen years I would bum airplane rides from strangers. I also wore out my bike in just 2 summers. For a couple years we had a 12 foot skiff with an outboard motor. I spent a lot of time zooming up and down the river.

Not any more.

I would like to do all of them again.

Once I turned eight and decided to no longer be sick, every summer was the happiest. If I really had to pick one it would be the first summer I spent in Sitka Alaska when I was 16. My dad worked for the Federal Government and they had a 50 foot work boat the would run supplies to outlying stations. I did not have a summer job that year so every week I would ride the boat for a day.

BONUS QUESTIONS
One place I lived there was a family that had 3 sets of twins. First 2 boys. Then 2 girls. Last they had a boy and a girl. I knew the 2 boys and the 2 girls fairly well. In fact, the only wedding I have ever been to was for one of the girls.

By the time I got to know them they were in high school and had pretty much developed their own identities

JUST FOR FUN

Nope. I have a sister 2 years older than me. That is enough.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Default Question of the Day for Sunday, September 1, 2013

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
You name it.. Build models, shoot marbles, spin tops and top fighting, play with neighbor kids, ride bikes...race slot cars...
Not really!

Lately was 2010 before that would likely be in the early 70's.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Had a set!
Not really..

JUST FOR FUN

TODAY IN HISTORY
1715 – French King Louis XIV dies after 72 years on the throne, the longest reign of any major European monarch.
1804 – Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding
1897 – Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America

TODAY'S WORD
Entropy \ˈen-trə-pē\
1. a. The measure of unavailable thermodynamic energy within a closed system. b. Broadly, the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system.
2. a. The degradation of the matter or energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity. b. A process of degradation or running down, or a trend to disorder.

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
Chicken Boy’s Day
Calendar Adjustment Day
Emma M. Nutt Day

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Thanks B4!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
[quote=Bayarea4;31223414]Good morning, everyone! It’s September first and the last weekend of summer. Before we put away our shorts and swimsuits and get out our wool scarves and winter coats, let’s do some reminiscing about happy summer times.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? Annual vacation in Santa Cruz, CA... local festivals... other than that, nothing special, other than just loving the outdoors during the summer. I worshiped summer heat as a child.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? Yes, though in different ways. And I still like summer heat.

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Hmmm.... Well, hiking. I have restrictions now.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? Nothing stands out, really.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Oh, boy, have I!! I grew up in a small town, and in high school there were as many as 11 sets of twins!!! Plus, I have fraternal twin cousins, too.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? A few did but most did not. Some were together all the time while others were not. Most were identical, although some were brother-sister twins.

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? I doubt it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Old 09-01-2013, 01:00 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? I'd go all over town on my bicycle. My dad showed me how to fasten my golf clubs on the pull cart behind my bike and pull them to the other side of town

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? nope

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Golf

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? Hard to say just one

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Yup. Several

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? Most of them hated the idea of dressing alike

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? Nope. One of me is enough! lol

Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,924 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Growing up in England, summer was always a bit hit and miss - a warm day or two here and there, a really hot day maybe once or twice, and rainy days quite often. On non-rainy days we used to mainly hang out at the 'rec' (the recreation ground - had swings, a roundabout and see-saw, a cricket pitch and football pitch). We played on the swings etc., and when tired of that would sit on the grass and make daisy and buttercup chains.

Nope - swings and roundabouts make me feel queasy - and no daisies or buttercups where I now live!

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? It might be fun to make daisy chains!

No one summer stands out.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? I've never personally known both in a set of twins, but I have a few friends who are a twin (but I don't know their twin).

They're boy/girl combos, so no!

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? No - I used to wish I was an only child so I wouldn't always get blamed for everything my brother did!

Thanks Bay!

Happy Sunday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 09-01-2013 at 01:17 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Hooray! It's September! Now about that cooler weather.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Ride bikes, go swimming, explore the woods and creeks
I go swimming when I get the chance.
Intrepidly explore creek beds? Best down at about age 10.
Any that involved the above and didn't involve getting a sun burn.

BONUS QUESTIONS
I have brothers who are identical twins.
Our parents let them be individuals.

JUST FOR FUN
No, I haven't.

TODAY IS
Chicken Boy’s Day

Last edited by bjh; 09-01-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 AM

454 posts, read 793,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? 1950's... hopscotch, tag, dress up in our mom's old clothes, practically live on the playground swings/monkey bars... and when it T-stormed we played paper dolls, board games, in our room; longing for the rain to stop so we could run outside and splash in the puddles

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? Sadly, no...

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? stomp like crazy in every rain puddle i come across

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? summer of 1955, family picnic by train to Kennywood Amusement Park, in Pittsburgh. I can still smell the cotton candy and feel the humid air, taste the hotdogs and Mother's macaroni salad. I would give anything for just one moment relived of that day

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? None in our family, but remember several pairs from Junior High School

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? Carbon copies !!

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? One of me unleashed on this world is quite enough, thank you!!

TODAY IN HISTORY

TODAY'S WORD
Entropy \ˈen-trə-pē\

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day Good! Then i can eat 3 donuts with no reason to feel guilty
Chicken Boy’s Day
Calendar Adjustment Day You mean i can fix it so every day on the calendar is payday?
Emma M. Nutt Day

QUOTE OF THE DAY
a pleasant Sunday to you all !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics