Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,853,154 times

Advertisements

[quote=Bayarea4;31223414]Good morning, everyone! It’s September first and the last weekend of summer. Before we put away our shorts and swimsuits and get out our wool scarves and winter coats, let’s do some reminiscing about happy summer times.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? ...There wasn't much available to do in our neighborhood. I used to have to ride my bike for an hour to go horse back riding. We would play hide and seek on our bikes and have sleep overs.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things?....I still play hide and seek with the shorties and I took them horse back riding for the first time a couple of months ago.

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? ....Life was pretty boring where I grew up. It was a brand new subdivision full of prefab cookie cutter houses. There was no grocery store, and no place to go eat for years. It did have a pond with tad poles in it, other then that it was pretty awful.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?...Probably here when my three icky boy shorties and their cat lived across the street. They were always over here and my other now teenage shortie was here all the time too. I don't see them as much now. I miss them when they were young and you could tell them anything and they'd believe you. I miss the cat coming over too. He walked in like he owned the place.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]?....Only babies and only briefly.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities?....I got to where I could tell them apart.

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin?... Double trouble That could go either way.

TODAY IN HISTORY
69 – Traditional date of the destruction of Jerusalem
1535 – French navigator Cartier reaches Hochelaga (Montréal, Ontario, Canada)
1689 – Russia begins taxing men’s beards
1715 – French King Louis XIV dies after 72 years on the throne, the longest reign of any major European monarch.
1752 – Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1804 – Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding
1859 – First Pullman sleeping car in service
1862 – U.S. Federal tax levied on tobacco
1878 - First female telephone operator, Emma M. Nutt, begins work in Boston
1897 – Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America
1909 – Alberta and Saskatchewan become the 8th and 9th Canadian provinces
1923 – 7.9 Earthquake strikes Tokyo and Yokohama, killing 142,000.

TODAY'S WORD
Entropy \ˈen-trə-pē\
1. a. The measure of unavailable thermodynamic energy within a closed system. b. Broadly, the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system.
2. a. The degradation of the matter or energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity. b. A process of degradation or running down, or a trend to disorder.

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
Chicken Boy’s Day
Building and Code Staff Recognition Day
Calendar Adjustment Day
Emma M. Nutt Day

QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.” – H. G. Wells.
Thanks Bayarea4. I put my scarecrow on the trellis and it's really creepy. I'll post some pictures soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM

9,782 posts, read 14,352,117 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? We went camping in an old rag tent every Monday-Tuesday all summer long. It was always the same destination - along the Atlantic Ocean in Delaware, and we pitched our tent at the water's edge. The waves rolling into our tent woke us up in the morning.
Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? No, unfortunately. The tourists have taken over our oceans/beaches in Delaware now. Traffic is horrendous, you have to pay a park fee, and of course, we can't camp along the water. Everything has changed, and there are warning signs everywhere. Don't do this, don't do that .............

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Those rag tent days along the ocean were the best.
What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?
The above ^
BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Yes, twins
Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? No, they didn't dress alike. One was a redhead, the other had raven black hair. They looked nothing alike. One was a sweet, genuine girl. The other was a snob.
JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? No

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day That's today, for me. Usually I have a schedule and work 7 days/week. Today, there's no Rhyme Nor Reason, and I may take a nap.
Chicken Boy’s Day I don't get it
Building and Code Staff Recognition Day Nor this
Calendar Adjustment Day Nor this
Emma M. Nutt Day ?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM

126,435 posts, read 19,194,579 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? playing on the farm,hike in the Alps, horse back riding,helping my father in the woods and so much more

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things?Still hike and swim and ride horses

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Learn once again how to make cheese and butter and Enzian Schnapps

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?joining my father when he was a Part time Forest Ranger

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]?Yes

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? /

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? No

Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,746,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning, everyone! It’s September first and the last weekend of summer. Before we put away our shorts and swimsuits and get out our wool scarves and winter coats, let’s do some reminiscing about happy summer times.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? When it was hot and we lived in the Bronx we use to cool off by running through the water spray from the fire hydrant or ride to my uncle's in Mahopac,NY and go swimming in the pool. Then when we moved to Jersey, we would go down the shore or go to my aunt's house and swim in her pool! When I hit 12 -13 me and my friends would go to the park and spend time there or ride bikes, go to one another's house and listen to music,play games and do other things. I could list more but I'll save that for another time.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? Still go to the park,listen to music but haven't done the other stuff. lol!

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? Go visit my uncle in Mahopac, and swim is one thing. He passed on about a year ago and I miss chatting with him.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? When I went to Colorado.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Yes! My father was a twin.......matter of fact his mom had 4 sets of twins but only my dad and his brother survived.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? Separate identities. They were fraternal.

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? It would be kind of interesting.

TODAY IN HISTORY
69 – Traditional date of the destruction of Jerusalem
1535 – French navigator Cartier reaches Hochelaga (Montréal, Ontario, Canada)
1689 – Russia begins taxing men’s beards
1715 – French King Louis XIV dies after 72 years on the throne, the longest reign of any major European monarch.
1752 – Liberty Bell arrives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1804 – Juno, one of the largest main belt asteroids, discovered by German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding
1859 – First Pullman sleeping car in service
1862 – U.S. Federal tax levied on tobacco
1878 - First female telephone operator, Emma M. Nutt, begins work in Boston
1897 – Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America
1909 – Alberta and Saskatchewan become the 8th and 9th Canadian provinces
1923 – 7.9 Earthquake strikes Tokyo and Yokohama, killing 142,000.

TODAY'S WORD
Entropy \ˈen-trə-pē\
1. a. The measure of unavailable thermodynamic energy within a closed system. b. Broadly, the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system.
2. a. The degradation of the matter or energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity. b. A process of degradation or running down, or a trend to disorder.

TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
Chicken Boy’s Day
Building and Code Staff Recognition Day
Calendar Adjustment Day
Emma M. Nutt Day

QUOTE OF THE DAY
“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.” – H. G. Wells
Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 PM

438 posts, read 662,876 times
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child?

Camp, swim, play games like curb ball, kick ball. Jump rope.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things?

I still swim.

I haven't camped in a few years. I would love to camp again.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]?

I have known quite a few twins

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities?

separate

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin?

For many years I thought I was a twin. I always felt like she was missing.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:46 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,403,256 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Swim, skip, play tennis against outdoor wall, do hopscotch
Do you do still do any of those fun summer things?
No
Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could?
Swim, skip
What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive?
Can't recall.
BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]?
Dated a guy who had a twin brother, but don't think I met the brother-just saw photos of him/them.
Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities?
Separate/distinct, though looked remarkably similar
JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin?
Rarely, if ever
TODAY IS
No Rhyme Nor Reason Day
Calendar Adjustment Day
Thanks for the Qs, Bayarea4
Have a nice evening, people

Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM

16,913 posts, read 16,201,159 times
Oh....also, dirt-bomb fights.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 PM

44,424 posts, read 20,186,805 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? We played outside all day long, until our mom called us home for supper. After supper, we played outside until the street lights came on, which was the time most moms in our neighborhood expected their kids to come home. We rode bikes, we played kick the can, hide and seek, baseball, frisbee and all sorts of other games. We ran through the water from the sprinkler and we squirted each other with the hose. We went exploring in a swampy area a couple of blocks from my home (and usually got a spanking for going there ). `We climbed trees. We made forts with blankets and lawn chairs turned on their sides. We played Army and we played Cowboys and Indians. We went fishing and we went bug-hunting with nets and glass jars with holes poked in the lids. In our backyard after dark, we caught lightning bugs and watched them light up in our palms. We played in the rain. Using sticks, we popped tar bubbles in the street. I had a blast when I was growing up!

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? Just yesterday I went for a walk in the pouring rain; walked for a full hour and loved every minute of it!

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? I'd like to have the energy I did back then so I could run and jump and climb trees.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? When I was growing up, they were all happy. I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Yes; doesn't everybody? I've known a number of sets of twins and two sets of triplets.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? The twins I know/have known were only dressed alike when they were infants and toddlers.

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? Definitely no.

Better late than never. I hope everyone here is having an excellent weekend!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,084,483 times
I forgot to mention we had Chinaberry fights after filling coffee cans with them. We'd shoot bottle rockets at each other through conduit pipes.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,545,849 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
What fun things did you usually do during the summer when you were a child? My sister and brothers would play outside until it turned dark. As a family we would drive to the ocean on Saturday's for the whole day.

Do you do still do any of those fun summer things? Not those particular things.

Of the fun summer things you don’t do any more, which ones would you most like to do again if you could? I miss the ocean and it would be nice to visit the ocean once or twice a year and walk on the beach.

What was the happiest summer of your life, the one you wish you could go back and relive? We took a vacation to Big Bear in the mountains and rented a cabin right on the lake.

BONUS QUESTIONS
Have you known any twins [or multiples]? Yes, once or twice.

Did they dress alike, or did they maintain separate identities? They were young and their parents dressed them alike.

JUST FOR FUN
Have you ever wished you were a twin? Oh yes, when I was a kid I wished I was an identical twin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics