Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM

24,779 posts, read 28,587,908 times

Advertisements

Question of the Day for Sunday, September 14, 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. My desktop.. junk and dust... Operating system Munchkin 8

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go?

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup?... "THINK ABOUT IT "

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? ... Cream of Wheat & Ovaltein

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? Comic books when they were the best !!!!

Who were your favorite characters? Dick Tracey --- Green Hornet --- Captain America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 10:55 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,388,212 times
Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Photo I took back in 1992.
Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system?
Post a screen shot if you like.
//www.city-data.com/forum/27967757-post54.html

Bonus Question:
Yes. Still awaiting a favorable result-but I don't get out much otherwise so it'll have to do.
If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?
Divorced.
Met the guy when we were each 22, via a college radio station's overnight program that we'd been phoning in to for 6 months.
The djs exchanged our phone #s (off the air), we met up & hit it off.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup?
Listen to some mope-rock (y'know, like The Smiths & The Cure), then listen to some upbeat stuff once you're ready.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?
Crazy Cow-no longer manufactured.
Also, there was a granola cereal-which, while it still exists-
has been changed in the intervening years, so it no longer tastes good to me.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid?
Cartoons, yes.
Who were your favorite characters?
Tarzan-the cartoon version was hunky, plus I was really into the music used in the show.

Word of the Day:
aleatory \ AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ adjective
: characterized by chance or random elements
Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?
New word for me^

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead
^Paradoxical, yet so true.

Thanks for the Qs, BA4.
Wishing all y'all a moderate, not-quite-autumn-yet (in this hemisphere), Sunday.

Last edited by cloven; 09-14-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 11:21 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,968,867 times
Default Question of the Day for Sunday, September 14, 2014
Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.
I had the crater in Winslow, Arizona now I use the youngest gkid.
Bonus Question:
For what?

It's a secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ4fD3rJt8E

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?
Grapenuts, oatmeal, cream of wheat, Malt o meal....

Bugs and RR and the Fantastic Four, Flash too many to list.
Today in History:
1662 – England and Netherlands sign peace treaty.
1716 – First lighthouse in American colonies lit (Boston Harbor).
1741 – George Frideric Handel completes oratorio “The Messiah” after working non-stop for 23 days.
1752 – Britain and American colonies adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept. 13).
1807 – Aaron Burr acquitted of a misdemeanor in the duel that killed Alexander Hamilton.
1812 – Napoleon occupies Moscow.
1814 – Francis Scott Key writes the poem that becomes the lyrics to “Star-Spangled Banner,” the U.S. national anthem.
1829 – Russian-Turkish war ends.
1847 – U. S. Marine troops enter Mexico City (“the halls of Montezuma”).
1848 – Alexander Stewart opens the first U.S. department store.
1862 – Federal troops escape from beleaguered Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
1868 – Golf’s first recorded hole in one (Tom Morris at Prestwick’s 8th hole).
1876 – Explorer-journalist Henry Morton Stanley’s expedition leaves Rwanda.
1886 – George K. Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patents the first typewriter ribbon.
1894 – Hottentot uprising in Southwest Africa fails.
1899 – Henry Bliss becomes first automobile fatality in the U.S.
1901 – Theodore Roosevelt sworn in, becoming youngest U.S. President in history.
1923 – Jack Dempsey KO’s Luis Firpo in 2 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
1930– Nazis gain 107 seats in German election.
1938 – Graf Zeppelin, world’s largest airship, makes maiden flight.
1939 – British fleet attacks German U-39 boat.
1940 – German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; hundreds die.
1944 – Hurricane hits New England; 389 die.
1948 – Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters in New York City.
1948 – Milton Berle begins his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
1953 – Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
1953 – New York Yankees clinch 5th straight World Series pennant.
1957 – UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary.
1958 – Two rockets designed by German engineer Ernst Mohr reach the upper atmosphere.
1959 – USSR’s Luna 2 is the first spacecraft to land on the moon.
1960 – Chubby Checker’s hit record “The Twist” reaches #1.
1960 – Petroleum exporting cartel OPEC formed by Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1964 – Walt Disney awarded Medal of Freedom at the White House.
1972 – West Germany and Poland establish diplomatic relations.
1973 – Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s.
1975 – Mother Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton canonized as first U.S.-born saint by Pope Paul VI.
1975 – Rembrandt’s 1642 painting “Night Watch” slashed and damaged in Amsterdam.
1978 – The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes over 50 bombs in towns across Northern Ireland over the next 5 days, injuring 37 people.
1983 – U.S. House of Representatives votes 416 to 0 for a resolution to condemn Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner.
1994 – All 28 baseball team owners vote to cancel the rest of the 1994 season.
2001 – National Prayer Services in memory of the September 11 attacks held in the capitals of the U.S. and Canada.
2007 –Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially lifted by Pope Benedict XVI.

Word of the Day:
aleatory \ AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ adjective

: characterized by chance or random elements

Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Today is
National Cream-Filled Donut Day
National Pet Memorial Day
Thanks BA4!

Old 09-14-2014, 12:56 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,269,327 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. Its a slideshow of my pictures

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? No, except for as a joke when I was a teenager, which quickly ended after someone messaged me

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? Met helping someone move house

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? Don't go straight into a new relationship - spend some time with yourself first and enjoy being single

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? Cinnamon Grahams. I don't know if they still make them or not, they don't sell them here and I can't eat them any more anyway because of Coeliac Disease

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? I still do....

Who were your favorite characters? Loved the cat from Henry's Cat, and of course Bart Simpson. And Dennis the Menace

Old 09-14-2014, 02:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,404,234 times
Question of the Day for Sunday, September 14, 2014
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.
Just the Windows 7 flying windows on a blue screen.

Bonus Question:
Nope. Computers were the size of a small house and still used punched input cards when I last dated. There were no online dating sites and the internet was still many years away.

I was 19 years old and she was 16. I was in the military service and her dad played piano and guitar. We dated for over three years and have now been married for over 42.

Too many years ago to remember so I will pass.

Just For Fun:

Raisin Brand and yes I still eat it but very seldom.

We only had a B&W television with one local station so I don't remember watching many cartoons. We did read a lot of comic books though.

Archie. I also remember Baby Huey.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:30 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,689,776 times
Today’s Question:
A picture U took of Top Fuel cars doing burnouts at RT66

Bonus Question:
NO

A blind date that turned into a 44 yr love affair

Can't help, haven't been there

Just For Fun:
Puffed Rice, I don't think they still make it.

YES

Rocky & Bullwinkle

Old 09-14-2014, 11:58 PM

21,599 posts, read 8,770,819 times
Today’s Question:
It's a photo I took on the Mendocino coast:

Bonus Question:
No, I've never done that. When I was single, online dating sites didn't exist yet. I did once place an ad in a local community newspaper and got some interesting letters in response. A friend of mine at work also placed an ad and got the exact same letter as I did, even though our ads were totally different and we weren't looking for the same thing.

I met some nice guys through the ad (and one stinker), but nothing came of it.

Husband #1 at a party thrown by mutual friends. It was one of those attraction at first sight things. I learned the hard way that this isn't the best way to choose a life partner.

Husband #2 was one of the guys at work. I hardly noticed him at all and wasn't particularly attracted to him. Then years went by, both of us were in unhappy marriages, we were thrown together more often at work, and we gradually developed a friendship that turned into something more. We have been together for 30 years; married for 28 years next month.

It wasn't meant to be, so learn a lesson from whatever went wrong, suck it up and move on.

Just For Fun:
I loved the following, most of which aren't made any more:
Sugar Jets
Alpha Bits
Rice Krinkles
Kellogg's OKs
Crispy Critters
Sugar Crisp (Now it's called "Super Golden Crisp." Who do they think they're fooling?)

I also loved these, which are still made and most of which I still eat:
Cheerios
Grape Nuts
Malt-O-Meal
Cream of Wheat
Kix
Cocoa Krispies

Both, but I mostly watched cartoons.
Cartoons: Bosko, Crusader Rabbit, Bugs Bunny, Tweety Pie, Donald Duck, Popeye, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Yogi Bear, Betty Boop. I especially loved all those 1930s and 40s cartoons such as the Merrie Melodie series that were shown on TV in the early to mid-50s.

Comics: Little Lulu, Donald Duck, Archie, Betty and Veronica. I liked to draw my own comics and had an ongoing set of stick figure characters called (don't ask me where these names came from!) Billy, Janu, Hank and Kank. Depending on the plot, Billy and Janu would sometimes be the parents and Hank and Kank the children. Other times Janu would be the mother, Billy the older brother and Hank and Kank would be the younger brothers.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 09-15-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM

126,366 posts, read 19,126,048 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. I have right now a Harvest moon as my setting

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? never ever

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? over 30 years ago at a wedding

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? I would tell them to focus on themselves and mend their broken heart by keeping busy either with work,volunteering, and taking it slow and not rush into things..time will come and the right person will enter your life

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? I never had dry cereal as a child,just bread and jam or Swiss müsli

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? only when I was visiting my cousin he had Donald Duck books and magazines,loved collecting all the Walt Disney characters ..I was too busy playing outside

Who were your favorite characters?I only watched as a child the Jungle Book so it was of course Balu the bear,otherwise Donald Duck and Pluto

THANK YOU Bayarea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics