Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:07 AM

21,600 posts, read 8,770,819 times

Advertisements

Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go?

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup?

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid?

Who were your favorite characters?

Today in History:
1662 – England and Netherlands sign peace treaty.
1716 – First lighthouse in American colonies lit (Boston Harbor).
1741 – George Frideric Handel completes oratorio “The Messiah” after working non-stop for 23 days.
1752 – Britain and American colonies adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept. 13).
1807 – Aaron Burr acquitted of a misdemeanor in the duel that killed Alexander Hamilton.
1812 – Napoleon occupies Moscow.
1814 – Francis Scott Key writes the poem that becomes the lyrics to “Star-Spangled Banner,” the U.S. national anthem.
1829 – Russian-Turkish war ends.
1847 – U. S. Marine troops enter Mexico City (“the halls of Montezuma”).
1848 – Alexander Stewart opens the first U.S. department store.
1862 – Federal troops escape from beleaguered Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
1868 – Golf’s first recorded hole in one (Tom Morris at Prestwick’s 8th hole).
1876 – Explorer-journalist Henry Morton Stanley’s expedition leaves Rwanda.
1886 – George K. Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patents the first typewriter ribbon.
1894 – Hottentot uprising in Southwest Africa fails.
1899 – Henry Bliss becomes first automobile fatality in the U.S.
1901 – Theodore Roosevelt sworn in, becoming youngest U.S. President in history.
1923 – Jack Dempsey KO’s Luis Firpo in 2 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
1930– Nazis gain 107 seats in German election.
1938 – Graf Zeppelin, world’s largest airship, makes maiden flight.
1939 – British fleet attacks German U-39 boat.
1940 – German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; hundreds die.
1944 – Hurricane hits New England; 389 die.
1948 – Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters in New York City.
1948 – Milton Berle begins his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
1953 – Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
1953 – New York Yankees clinch 5th straight World Series pennant.
1957 – UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary.
1958 – Two rockets designed by German engineer Ernst Mohr reach the upper atmosphere.
1959 – USSR’s Luna 2 is the first spacecraft to land on the moon.
1960 – Chubby Checker’s hit record “The Twist” reaches #1.
1960 – Petroleum exporting cartel OPEC formed by Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1964 – Walt Disney awarded Medal of Freedom at the White House.
1972 – West Germany and Poland establish diplomatic relations.
1973 – Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s.
1975 – Mother Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton canonized as first U.S.-born saint by Pope Paul VI.
1975 – Rembrandt’s 1642 painting “Night Watch” slashed and damaged in Amsterdam.
1978 – The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes over 50 bombs in towns across Northern Ireland over the next 5 days, injuring 37 people.
1983 – U.S. House of Representatives votes 416 to 0 for a resolution to condemn Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner.
1994 – All 28 baseball team owners vote to cancel the rest of the 1994 season.
2001 – National Prayer Services in memory of the September 11 attacks held in the capitals of the U.S. and Canada.
2007 –Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially lifted by Pope Benedict XVI.

Word of the Day:
aleatory \ AY-lee-uh-tor-ee\ adjective

: characterized by chance or random elements

Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Today is
National Cream-Filled Donut Day
National Pet Memorial Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:13 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,461,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning and welcome to the question of the day for Sunday, September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.

Wild horses

Bonus Question:

Yes, met people but it did not go anywhere romantically

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other?

Met my bf on a chat site (not CD) 11 years ago

Take time to figure out what you really want

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?
Honeycombs, alphabets and all those sugar goodness' Yup, they are still made and I still eat them

Yes

Didn't really have one that I can think of, liked bugs bunny and company

Today in History:
1662 – England and Netherlands sign peace treaty.
1716 – First lighthouse in American colonies lit (Boston Harbor).
1741 – George Frideric Handel completes oratorio “The Messiah” after working non-stop for 23 days.
1752 – Britain and American colonies adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3 - Sept. 13).
1807 – Aaron Burr acquitted of a misdemeanor in the duel that killed Alexander Hamilton.
1812 – Napoleon occupies Moscow.
1814 – Francis Scott Key writes the poem that becomes the lyrics to “Star-Spangled Banner,” the U.S. national anthem.
1829 – Russian-Turkish war ends.
1847 – U. S. Marine troops enter Mexico City (“the halls of Montezuma”).
1848 – Alexander Stewart opens the first U.S. department store.
1862 – Federal troops escape from beleaguered Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
1868 – Golf’s first recorded hole in one (Tom Morris at Prestwick’s 8th hole).
1876 – Explorer-journalist Henry Morton Stanley’s expedition leaves Rwanda.
1886 – George K. Anderson of Memphis, Tennessee patents the first typewriter ribbon.
1894 – Hottentot uprising in Southwest Africa fails.
1899 – Henry Bliss becomes first automobile fatality in the U.S.
1901 – Theodore Roosevelt sworn in, becoming youngest U.S. President in history.
1923 – Jack Dempsey KO’s Luis Firpo in 2 rounds for heavyweight boxing title.
1930– Nazis gain 107 seats in German election.
1938 – Graf Zeppelin, world’s largest airship, makes maiden flight.
1939 – British fleet attacks German U-39 boat.
1940 – German bomb hits shelter in Chelsea; hundreds die.
1944 – Hurricane hits New England; 389 die.
1948 – Ground breaking ceremony for UN world headquarters in New York City.
1948 – Milton Berle begins his TV career on Texaco Star Theater.
1953 – Nikita Khrushchev appointed First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
1953 – New York Yankees clinch 5th straight World Series pennant.
1957 – UN resolution deplores and condemns USSR invasion of Hungary.
1958 – Two rockets designed by German engineer Ernst Mohr reach the upper atmosphere.
1959 – USSR’s Luna 2 is the first spacecraft to land on the moon.
1960 – Chubby Checker’s hit record “The Twist” reaches #1.
1960 – Petroleum exporting cartel OPEC formed by Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1964 – Walt Disney awarded Medal of Freedom at the White House.
1972 – West Germany and Poland establish diplomatic relations.
1973 – Israel shoots down 13 Syrian MIG-21s.
1975 – Mother Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton canonized as first U.S.-born saint by Pope Paul VI.
1975 – Rembrandt’s 1642 painting “Night Watch” slashed and damaged in Amsterdam.
1978 – The Provisional Irish Republican Army explodes over 50 bombs in towns across Northern Ireland over the next 5 days, injuring 37 people.
1983 – U.S. House of Representatives votes 416 to 0 for a resolution to condemn Russia for shooting down a Korean jetliner.
1994 – All 28 baseball team owners vote to cancel the rest of the 1994 season.
2001 – National Prayer Services in memory of the September 11 attacks held in the capitals of the U.S. and Canada.
2007 –Restrictions on the traditional Latin Mass are officially lifted by Pope Benedict XVI.

Word of the Day:

Example:
Tom and Renee’s romance had an aleatory beginning – for without the sudden rainstorm that forced them both to take refuge under the shop’s awning, would they ever have met?

Quote of the Day:
“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” - Margaret Mead

Today is

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone!

Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,822,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop?
Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system?
A personal photo of downtown Mexico City taken from the 55th floor of the Mayor Tower Bldg - it's a great photo showing all of downtown and the mountain range in the background.
Post a screen shot if you like.

Bonus Question:

Friend's party.

Congratulatons, let's celebrate!

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up?
Wheaties, breakfast of champions

Do they still make them now?
Do you still eat them?

Today in History: Busy Day!

Word of the Day:
Example:

Quote of the Day:

Today is
Thanks Bayarea4!

And, to all of you:

Old 09-14-2014, 02:30 AM

44,676 posts, read 61,787,970 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Rotating scenes from the sea to the desert.
Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? It came with the computer.
Post a screen shot if you like.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? Yes. If you did, how did it go? The wife caught me and
beat the tar outta me
. ....j/k

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? Met her at a business I managed, I guess you could say I managed her over.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? here

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Puffed wheat, Puffed rice, Cheerios, Wheaties, Oatmeal.
Do they still make them now? Yes. Do you still eat them? Yes occasionally.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? Lots. Westerns mostly. And a few science fictions like the Green Hornet, Flash Gordon and Batman. Dick Tracy was a favorite too.

Who were your favorite characters? All the cowboys of the Golden Age like Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes, Gene Autry, Red Ryder, Cisco Kid, Lone Ranger, Hoot Gibson, Lash LaRue, Tom Mix, Hopalong Cassidy, Andy Devine etal.

Bay4, fun memories.

Last edited by wit-nit; 09-14-2014 at 02:57 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,495,791 times
Today’s Question:
On my previous computer I had a photo I took on a vacation in Europe. On the new computer I just have what came with it. Haven't yet gotten around to changing it.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? Nope. The experiences of others was enough to put me off it!

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? Which one?
The first one was on the ship I sailed to Australia on (bad grammar lol) - I was 'dating' one of his cabin mates during the trip. I bumped into him a few years later and he invited me to a party he was holding the following weekend. The second SO I met at a restaurant - I was dining with friends at one table and he was dining with friends at the next table. We ended up all chatting together over coffee and port!

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? Well it my case it was cause for celebration ... my best advice would be to take your time before looking for another partner. I know quite a few divorcees who jumped too quickly into other relationships, usually with disastrous results.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? Kelloggs Rice Crispies. Nope, don't eat cereal any more.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? I don't remember watching much in the way of cartoons on TV when I was a kid (we didn't get a telly till I was 11)... I used to get a girls' comic book every week - not so much a comic book as a mag with stories aimed at tween girls.

Who were your favorite characters? I don't remember.

Thanks Bay4.

Happy Sunday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 09-14-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 AM
bjh

60,172 posts, read 30,482,073 times
Today’s Question:
Months ago I posted a QotD thread and mentioned dewdrop photos. I still have one of those photos as my desktop wallpaper.
Here's the thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/other...ay-2014-a.html

Bonus Question:

Have you ever tried online dating sites? They weren't well-known when I was available. If you did, how did it go? I hope to never find out. I've heard mostly bad things. But if it works for some, I'm happy for them.

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? Party at a mutual friend's house.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? If they're sad and not relieved or happy: keep the big picture in mind.

Just For Fun:

What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Cocoa Puffs mostly. Also remember Lucky Charms, Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies, corn flakes and Cheerios. Do they still make them now? Not sure about Apple Jacks, but I think they make all the others. Do you still eat them? Only Cocoa Krispies and Cheerios. Thye changed the formula on Cocoa Puffs so much I no longer recognize them. Seems they have to change everything for the worse and can never leave well enough alone. Not just cereals either.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? My brothers and I watched Saturday morning cartoons like Scooby Doo, Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, and many others. They used to show really old-fashioned cartoons from the 30s onward. The kind they started movies with. One of my older brothers had comic books. We all looked at those.

Who were your favorite characters? Foghorn to chicken hawk: "I say, I say, boy. Get away from me. You're botherin' me." Good ol' Foghorn

Quote of the Day:
Just like snowflakes.

Last edited by bjh; 09-14-2014 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 04:36 AM

11,394 posts, read 9,320,940 times
Hello all,

Today’s Question:
From NASA - Saturn + moons.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? Yes I have and I am done. For the most part it's a cesspool of lowlifes, liars, and game players. But not all.

True story that may be hard to believe - I had dental hygienist admit to me one of the perks for her playing this online dating game was to get "free dinners from guys." She told me she went out on a lot of dates.

There are some folks on online dating that want to couple up but one is dealing with strangers so you really do not know what you are getting until you meet, should it even get to that point. For a man it is a very bad deal because in almost all cases (just like in real life) he has to do the contacting. It can get expensive and time consuming. I only had one offer "for coffee" during that time but I politely declined due to no chemistry.

I've had a few meaningful conversations with some women who told me about the amount of responses they get. Despite a recent picture and a well-writen profile I do not think I had 10 responses in the 6 months I was on OK Cupid back in 2011. One was a gay guy playing with me that took me a few exchanges before I busted him. That kind of stuff goes on there. There are also married men and women on there looking to cheat.

Only went out on one so-so expensive date (my fault on that) that was obvious was not going to a second date. I found the whole process of even getting a date to be similar to applying for a job.

That is how I met my ex wife. After we broke up I told myself I was never going to do that again. But 4 years later I did. As if I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? Mentioned above. We broke up in 2007. I am divorced and unattatched.

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? - Love yourself first. In the end that is all you have.
Avoid online dating. It's way overrated, especially for men. Take your chances in real life but be cool and don't rush. If it doesn't happen you still have yourself.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? I do not remember.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? - Some cartoons, no comic books.

Who were your favorite characters? - I only remember Fred Flintstone and the rest in that show.

Thanks for the Sunday Questions, Bayarea4.
Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Old 09-14-2014, 04:38 AM

36,464 posts, read 16,071,101 times
Today’s Question:
Right now, it's a pic of maggie, my Dad's dog he lost a couple of weeks ago.
Bonus Question:
No
One, I met through friends, one I met through my brother.

Just For Fun:
Trix, Cheerios, Coco Puffs, yes they still make them but no don't eat much cereal now.
Loved cartoons
Who were your favorite characters? Mighty Mouse

Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,104,019 times
Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop?
Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like.

One of my own photos of a willet standing in the water chosen because it's not busy (so I can find my shortcut icons).

Bonus Question:
No

At work.

No advice.

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up?

Gerber baby rice cereal (plain). Wheaties. Farina.

Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them?

No idea about the baby cereal or farina. I still occasionally eat Wheaties.

Both

Comic Books: Bizarro Superman, Superman
Cartoons: Snidely Whiplash, Boris Badenov and Natasha, Bullwinkle, Foghorn Leghorn, Peabody, Mighty Mouse, the Fractured Fairy Tales narrator (there were no recurring characters in Fractured Fairy Tales, only the narrator's voice).

Last edited by LauraC; 09-14-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 05:14 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,525,316 times
September 14, 2014. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are actors Jack Hawkins, Zoe Caldwell, Nicol Williamson, Sam Neill, Melissa Leo and Jesse James; scientist Ivan Pavlov, composer Johann Michael Haydn, birth control advocate Margaret Sanger, feminist/author Kate Millett and singer Amy Winehouse.

Today’s Question:
What is on your computer or desktop? Do you have personalized wallpaper or do you use one from the menu of your operating system? Post a screen shot if you like. - A photo of me and my wife.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever tried online dating sites? If you did, how did it go? - Yes, as for how it went see below

If you are (or have been) married or partnered, how did you meet your significant other? - I met my wife through an online dating site 8 years ago, we were both recent arrivals in Australia at the time, and were both just "looking for friends"

What is your best advice for someone who has just gone through a breakup? - Get over it move on with life and forget about the former boy/girlfried

Just For Fun:
What were your favorite breakfast cereals when you were growing up? Do they still make them now? Do you still eat them? - Corn Flakes, Coco pops, Rice Bubbles and Oats, I still make Oats all the time, but never buy any of the former.

Did you watch cartoons or read comic books as a kid? Both, Asterix, Garfield, Tin Tin and New Zealand comic Footrot flats where the comics of my day. The animation was mostly the English versions of Japanese Animation, Astro Boy, Battle of the Planets, Mysterious Cities of Gold and Star Blazers come to mind.

Who were your favorite characters? I liked Obelix in the Asterix comics,Captian Haddock in Tintin, and the Dog in Footrot Flats.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-14-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics