Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

Monday greetings, kids! I hope you all had a nice weekend.
Scroll on down for Today's Tip!

INTERESTING HOME INSURANCE FACT

I was reading this article about homeowner's (and renter's) insurance and was very surprised at one of the points in particular. Most, if not all, of us are aware that insurance policies have certain exclusions and it's easy to miss some of them when trying to make sense of the fine print. Check out the article for a bunch of helpful facts and tips.

Here's the item in the article that most caught my attention. Did you know that if you own a dog, depending on the breed, you may not have liability coverage if the dog causes any sort or damage, or if it bites someone? The article states that statistics show "dog bites make up a third of all liability claims, and the average cost of one is $30,000." Yikes.

Breeds which are most commonly excluded from coverage include:
  • Akita
  • Alaskan Malamute
  • Boxer
  • Cane Corso
  • Chow Chow
  • Doberman Pinscher
  • German Shepherd
  • Great Dane
  • Mastiff
  • Pit Bull or Staffordshire Terrier
  • Presa Canario
  • Rottweiler
  • Siberian Husky
  • Wolf hybrids.
Everyone thinks their dog will never bite anyone and would never cause any property damage, but there's no guarantee that it will never happen. If you have a dog, check your policy or ask your insurer if your dog's breed is covered by your liability policy. If it is not, consider purchasing an umbrella policy which includes coverage for your pooch.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
We haven't got a dog, but we bought an umbrella insurance policy in addition to our regular homeowners policy. That type of policy theoretically covers us against any lawsuit that might be brought against us for negligence, personal injury and that sort of thing, such as a contractor getting injured while working on our property. I say "theoretically covers" because you never really find out what's covered until you file a claim. Maybe umbrella coverage would cover animal liability issues that would be otherwise excluded in a homeowners policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Wow! Glad they didn't mention my mutt. He's a home eater and quite destructive. Good to know Pam thanks for the tip!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
I am glad to see I was not on the list.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Have you bitten anyone lately?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Have you bitten anyone lately?
I don't know about biting.... but he leaves stinky cheese everywhere.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Wow! Had no idea.
Glad my little guys are not on the list.
Thanks Pam!!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Well, they said the list was not comprehensive.......

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:28 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Just before I moved out of Florida 2012 they were trying to pass legislation on several breeds of aggressive dogs.. were the owner would have to register the dog with photo's and DNA some what similar for a hand gun.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:39 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Phew!

Labradors are not on the list!

The most damage ever caused within the house by a pet of ours was when a hamster escaped and chewed through electrical wires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics