Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM

44,432 posts, read 20,200,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Great tip Pam... FYI Any time you have your vehicle serviced anywhere take all your personnel information out of the vehicle and only leave the vehicle key... that old gas bill has your address on it... or your insurance card that's in the glove box.. or little Jimmy's report card stuck up above the visor.. Name of school + Jimmy's name... Only takes 10 minutes to do a once over of the vehicle for your own personal security..
Excellent bonus Tip, Tin Man. I do make it a point to give mechanics only my car key and not the one that's on a chain with my house key. It's a real good idea to remove personal info if leaving the car at a school. My car has a valet key, which only opens the doors and starts the ignition. This is good if I don't want a mechanic or valet to be able to open the trunk or glove compartment. But I suspect most cars don't come with such a key.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:10 AM

24,624 posts, read 26,189,993 times
One of my Grandsons is a mechanic and he works for food and drinks.

Oh, and my daughter is a car parts manager so I get a good price on parts as a extra bonus.

Last edited by motormaker; 02-15-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,543,214 times
Awesome tip and so true.
The school I used to work at haad an automotive class.

I could pull my car in and by the end of the day I had a tune up, oil change at not cost.
Of course, I brought treats for the class

Even replaced my brakes and rotors a few times.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 AM

72,505 posts, read 18,242,486 times
Great tip Pammy! never thought of that before!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,104,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Right now we have two actually 3 mechanics in training working on our future ride.

Happy Valentine's Day to all you awesome folks!
SIL, BIL, and daughter..

Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,703,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Excellent bonus Tip, Tin Man. I do make it a point to give mechanics only my car key and not the one that's on a chain with my house key. It's a real good idea to remove personal info if leaving the car at a school. My car has a valet key, which only opens the doors and starts the ignition. This is good if I don't want a mechanic or valet to be able to open the trunk or glove compartment. But I suspect most cars don't come with such a key.

New cars with auto stop feature, engine stops when car is stopped and restarts when you accelerate, have a battery in the trunk so this could present a problem. Also problems with break lights, turn signals, license plate lights may require working in the trunk. If you're taking your car in for something like that do the mechanic a favor and empty the trunk. I have worked on cars for a living or for fun since I was 12 and always do my own stuff. I have become physically unable to do some of it so I now give instructions to a friend who does the physical stuff. A lot of High Schools and Jr Colleges have automotive programs that can repair your car also.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:19 PM

44,432 posts, read 20,200,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
New cars with auto stop feature, engine stops when car is stopped and restarts when you accelerate, have a battery in the trunk so this could present a problem. Also problems with break lights, turn signals, license plate lights may require working in the trunk. If you're taking your car in for something like that do the mechanic a favor and empty the trunk. I have worked on cars for a living or for fun since I was 12 and always do my own stuff. I have become physically unable to do some of it so I now give instructions to a friend who does the physical stuff. A lot of High Schools and Jr Colleges have automotive programs that can repair your car also.
More good bonus advice. Thanks, studedude.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics