Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post

Aside from that, I realized that I hate upscale restaurants. I go to restaurants to eat, not admire the food. Compliments to the chef on his/her culinary arts, but I would rather go to the local chicken joint in the 'hood than dine at a high-class, five-star facility.
I have never been to an upscale restaurant, and can't say I would want to. Food snobbery used to be a mainly French thing when I was young. High class eating for me in the 70s, was going to a Berni Inn......

The Berni Inn in my home town Oldham was downstairs in an old bank type building. Just walking downstairs into it seemed posh........ Inside, it had small booths either side, and tables within. The menu was sparse, but choice........ steak, chicken, or fish. They also sold wine by the glass....... very impressive. I had never drunk wine, so liked to order Anjou Rose because it sounded sophisticated. The flunky called me sir, and would ask me how I wanted my steak........... "cooked please" I replied, until he explained it could be done in different ways......... Ah......... those were the days.

In recent years, we have had the rise of the television chef. I would think Gordon Ramsey is the most well known of this breed. He screams abuse at his underlings, and they squeal back, "yes chef!!" This somehow, has made him a figure of interest all over the world. I noticed he had a restaurant in Las Vegas, with his photo everywhere in magazines. I believe there is a very long waiting list to chow down in his place out there. Many Americans seem very impressed with this man which I find puzzling. I would have thought such a democratic people would have laughed in his face, and threw him out of the country........

Ah, what do I know......... many folks seem to want fancy food, washed down with impressively priced wine. It's not for me. I'm happy with a fish and chip restaurant these days......... big hunk of fish, fries on the side, washed down with coffee. We do on occasion go to our local 'Wetherspoons' on steak night. Big hunk of steak, fries, onion rings, and a $8 bottle of Californian Chardonnay. Great value for money, and always full of happy customers. That's good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 PM

10,642 posts, read 12,212,342 times
Why is life the way it is?
The good fortune of some vs. the utter misfortune of others.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
It's just the way it is, and always has been so. It helps to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth, and to have a dad who wears the old school tie.

The rest of us just scramble round for the crumbs. I used to get annoyed about it when I was young. Can't be bothered anymore.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 929,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have never been to an upscale restaurant, and can't say I would want to. Food snobbery used to be a mainly French thing when I was young. High class eating for me in the 70s, was going to a Berni Inn......

The Berni Inn in my home town Oldham was downstairs in an old bank type building. Just walking downstairs into it seemed posh........ Inside, it had small booths either side, and tables within. The menu was sparse, but choice........ steak, chicken, or fish. They also sold wine by the glass....... very impressive. I had never drunk wine, so liked to order Anjou Rose because it sounded sophisticated. The flunky called me sir, and would ask me how I wanted my steak........... "cooked please" I replied, until he explained it could be done in different ways......... Ah......... those were the days.

In recent years, we have had the rise of the television chef. I would think Gordon Ramsey is the most well known of this breed. He screams abuse at his underlings, and they squeal back, "yes chef!!" This somehow, has made him a figure of interest all over the world. I noticed he had a restaurant in Las Vegas, with his photo everywhere in magazines. I believe there is a very long waiting list to chow down in his place out there. Many Americans seem very impressed with this man which I find puzzling. I would have thought such a democratic people would have laughed in his face, and threw him out of the country........

Ah, what do I know......... many folks seem to want fancy food, washed down with impressively priced wine. It's not for me. I'm happy with a fish and chip restaurant these days......... big hunk of fish, fries on the side, washed down with coffee. We do on occasion go to our local 'Wetherspoons' on steak night. Big hunk of steak, fries, onion rings, and a $8 bottle of Californian Chardonnay. Great value for money, and always full of happy customers. That's good enough for me.
Oh man, fish and chips...we're big on that in Los Angeles. In Hyde Park (L.A.) where I reside, you'll find fish markets on every major thoroughfare. I personally love fried Alaskan cod with French fries, and a cold can/bottle of Sprite to wash down my food.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Oh man, fish and chips...we're big on that in Los Angeles. In Hyde Park (L.A.) where I reside, you'll find fish markets on every major thoroughfare. I personally love fried Alaskan cod with French fries, and a cold can/bottle of Sprite to wash down my food.
Our favourite place is in the small coastal town of Cleveleys. It's called 'Cleveley's Kitchen' and does a huge piece of battered fish called a 'Moby'.......... It's a great place, with large framed prints of 19th Century famous paintings all over the walls. Just great pure white cod inside the golden batter.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
What does *Gobsmacked* mean?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What does *Gobsmacked* mean?
Well...... erm..... it means when you're gobsmacked......... If you see or hear something that astonishes you, then telling someone else, you'd say, "I couldn't believe my eyes....... I was gobsmacked!"

Old 09-15-2016, 01:45 AM

Right now, I'm thinking about the shopping. Judy is just sorting out her tablet thingy. She has duties every morning. Two fish tanks to clean, and fish to feed. They swim up to the screen and say, "thanks Judy" which pleases her. I'm hanging about now while she gives her butler instructions in the virtual stately home that she owns.

I think she's ready to go now. I have put a little to much 'Old Spice' aftershave on after my ablutions this morning. She has a habit of pawing at me when I splash on this stuff........ we need to get on with the shopping!!

Orf we jolly well go!!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times
Okay, thank you, I can sleep now that I know what it means.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,368,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

If you get the answer , let me know!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics