Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,459,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, as part of my student job out there, I had to serve customers. So I got some tips for doing that (which I didn't mind, of course). I'd usually have a chat with them, and they would ask me what accent I had. Most people couldn't quite place it, lol!

But I'm not fussed on tipping, in return. I do sometimes begrudgingly do it.
You will know what a northern English accent sounds like of course. When in America, many times I get asked if I'm Australian. Sometimes Irish.........

Tipping makes me nervous when we visit America. I work the tip out in my head, then do it again to make sure I'm leaving enough........

I know us British make servers in America edgy. I guess some must stiff them. I was in 'Denny's' once in Las Vegas, having breakfast with my son. We ordered our food, ate it, and got the check. The waitress was hovering near us. When we stood up, I was frightened I would put her on for a coat. I turned round, and said, "the tip is on the table." She seemed embarrassed, and moved away from me.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 PM

24,782 posts, read 28,623,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You will know what a northern English accent sounds like of course. When in America, many times I get asked if I'm Australian. Sometimes Irish.........

Tipping makes me nervous when we visit America. I work the tip out in my head, then do it again to make sure I'm leaving enough........

I know us British make servers in America edgy. I guess some must stiff them. I was in 'Denny's' once in Las Vegas, having breakfast with my son. We ordered our food, ate it, and got the check. The waitress was hovering near us. When we stood up, I was frightened I would put her on for a coat. I turned round, and said, "the tip is on the table." She seemed embarrassed, and moved away from me.......
When tipping here.. and this depends on the restaurant.. 1 star or 5 star.. go with your gut feeling.. if the server is sucking up for a tip.. go with your gut.. if the server is just down right nasty.. no tip.. but if the server is genuine.. not sucking up.. or nasty... go with your gut. Is it a $10 meal or a $100 meal..
That's the way I have tipped for years.. I have even left 2 pennies... then I have left more that what the customary percentage would be for the meal served and how the server......... served the meal. <<< That goes back to Denny's or a 5+Star Restaurant.. that's why I say go with your gut feeling.. and you won't go wrong.. same theory as should I drink " White Wine" -- "Red Wine " with the meal.. drink what you want with the meal..

Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
When tipping here.. and this depends on the restaurant.. 1 star or 5 star.. go with your gut feeling.. if the server is sucking up for a tip.. go with your gut.. if the server is just down right nasty.. no tip.. but if the server is genuine.. not sucking up.. or nasty... go with your gut. Is it a $10 meal or a $100 meal..
That's the way I have tipped for years.. I have even left 2 pennies... then I have left more that what the customary percentage would be for the meal served and how the server......... served the meal. <<< That goes back to Denny's or a 5+Star Restaurant.. that's why I say go with your gut feeling.. and you won't go wrong.. same theory as should I drink " White Wine" -- "Red Wine " with the meal.. drink what you want with the meal..
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It doesn't help the very first time I visited America, way back in 1988, I got my card marked by a waitress in a diner in New York City!! I sat down, read the menu, and over she came. I gave her my order, which she scolded me about how I wanted my eggs. She said, "how do you want your eggs?" I replied, "fried please." "They're all fried!! How ya want'em, over easy?" I didn't know what to say, because I didn't know what she meant.........

After snorting at my ignorance a couple of times, she said, "you English?" I replied brightly, "yes I am." She gave me a long look, then said, "the tip ain't included." Gulp.........

Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 AM

19,728 posts, read 10,525,453 times
I wish it was spring.....

Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I wish it was spring.....
It won't be long coming debey........ hope you are well sweedie........

Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 AM

45,599 posts, read 60,994,807 times
How much I really hate Christmas because it's deconstruction weekend and I don't have anywhere to hide. And it's a three day weekend..

Last edited by toosie; 01-15-2017 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: PG-13 - especially at OT please ;)

Old 01-19-2017, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 585 times
when the end of winter

Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,934,586 times
Im thinking about all the sheeple in this country who DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING!!!!

I have this friend who doesnt care about ANYTHING IF IT DOESNT AFFECT THEM.... Thier attitude is disgusting........ (And I know many like this) Thats the reason things are the way they are..... PEOPLE DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!! (As long as they arent involved..... THEN THEY SURE DO!!!)

WE ALL NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:54 AM

24,782 posts, read 28,623,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It doesn't help the very first time I visited America, way back in 1988, I got my card marked by a waitress in a diner in New York City!! I sat down, read the menu, and over she came. I gave her my order, which she scolded me about how I wanted my eggs. She said, "how do you want your eggs?" I replied, "fried please." "They're all fried!! How ya want'em, over easy?" I didn't know what to say, because I didn't know what she meant.........

After snorting at my ignorance a couple of times, she said, "you English?" I replied brightly, "yes I am." She gave me a long look, then said, "the tip ain't included." Gulp.........
That's when you leave 2cents.. and super glue a quarter on the floor..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:15 AM

13,722 posts, read 10,091,551 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6dV-Chv7s

I suppose then you'd need a, Camberwick Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Lx1kwGF1w

Maybe also a, Chigley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9IxzSTTYmA

Last edited by toosie; 01-24-2017 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: Sorry BECs - no politics at OT please :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics