Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:57 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,674 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near:
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
a friend/relative in-home?
someone at an independent shop/salon?
someone at a chain shop/salon?
someone else?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1905 Maggie Kuhn,US Gray Panther (d. April 22, 1995)
Entertainment: 1963 Beatles final performance at Cavern Club in Liverpool
Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball.

Today’s Word:
exonerate
Pronunciation: (ig-ZON-uh-rayt)
Meaning: verb tr.: 1. To free from blame. 2. To release from a task or obligation.
Etymology: From Latin ex- (from) + onus (burden), which also gave English onus and onerous.
Earliest documented use: 1524.

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)
International Albarino Day

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:14 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I'm a touchy feely person and like to personally check out the mdse.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?
None of the above, our area is super quiet.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair: Barber
you?
someone else?

Last edited by wit-nit; 08-03-2016 at 12:22 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
Purchasing: For clothes I prefer to buy from a shop because I want to try them on first. I also despise returning packages. Certain other things I purchase online but not as much, and it's usually for stuff that I can't find here.

I live a mile from an airport. It's a small airport but a very, very busy ones. And, no, I'm not bothered by it all.

I trim my own hair.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Good morning PC....... Shopping for goods. Hmmmmmmm. Waaaaal, I like to go to shops, view stuff, then buy it. I'm not over keen on buying stuff online or from a catalogue. I don't mind small stuff like DVDs, or make-up for Judy. But, big stuff like fridges, I want to go take a look, then decide. It's getting harder to do nowadays because so many businesses have closed down.

I go to the barber to get my haircut. He is only just over five minutes walk from my house. Judy has sometimes had a go at cutting it, but is too frightened to really hack at it, so I just get a trim from her. Now, my first wife was very good at cutting my hair.

At our son's wedding last year, I tried to get on her good side. It proved very difficult, as she is a woman who holds a grudge. She only lives about ten miles from me. I hoped to bring up the subject of her cutting my hair........ just to see her reaction. Judy said, "don't you DARE David"..........

Today in 1963 was the Beatles final performance at the Cavern Club huh? Judy saw them at the end of 1963, or early 1964....... she can't remember exactly. It was before they went to America for the first time for sure. When she first told me, years ago, I said, "wow..... you saw the Beatles live? Were they good?" She replied, "they were all right I guess. I only went because my friend Kathleen was a fan. I always preferred Cliff Richard myself"..........

Have a great day all......

Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 AM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Depends on what I'm buying. For clothing and shoes, it's better to try those on in person. For other things like books, DVDs, CDs or electronics, I prefer online shopping. Why (for either shopping or ordering)? If you order clothing online and it doesn't fit, you have to go through the hassle of shipping back the purchase. For other items, shopping online is simply convenient. Free shipping (if available) is a plus.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport? <--About 4 miles away but can occasionally hear aircraft taking off.
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? <--I live off a main thoroughfare in my city that gets busy, especially during rush hour. At first the noise of the traffic bothered me, but after living here for 25 years, I really don't hear it anymore.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon? <--A local barber shop owned by a married couple.
someone else?

Happy Hump Day!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:34 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Just returned from the twilight zone.

Mornin' all!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's time again for your Wednesday Qs. Get your favorite morning beverage, settle in, and exercise your brain. Just a bit.

Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)?
I prefer to shop myself but then again it's fun receiving stuff in the mail.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? I'd love to.
an airport? Small airport. Not noisy other than smaller aircraft, small jet aircraft and lots of choppers. Also the International airport traffic (passenger jet traffic) goes directly over our house but at high altitudes.
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? Barber, daughter or wife.
a friend/relative in-home? ^^
someone else? ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Today in History:
Birthday: 1905 Maggie Kuhn,US Gray Panther (d. April 22, 1995)
Entertainment: 1963 Beatles final performance at Cavern Club in Liverpool
Science/Technology: 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
Sports: 1921 Due to a technicality, 8 Chicago White Sox accused in Black Sox scandal are acquited, however Landis throws them out of baseball.

Today’s Word:
exonerate
Pronunciation: (ig-ZON-uh-rayt)
Meaning: verb tr.: 1. To free from blame. 2. To release from a task or obligation.
Etymology: From Latin ex- (from) + onus (burden), which also gave English onus and onerous.
Earliest documented use: 1524.

Today is:
Friendship Day
Grab Some Nuts Day
Watermelon Day
(First Wednesday)
International Albarino Day

Quote of the Day:
"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes. " ~ Maggie Kuhn ~

Have a good day everyone!
Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you the type of person who appreciates going to the shops to pick out your merchandise for yourself, or do you prefer ordering your items either online, or through a catalog? Why (for either shopping or ordering)? I did not get the "shopping gene". For me online is easier.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks? There is a railroad track about a mile away. It is a sweet sound to me when I notice its warning horn.
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other? birds chirping

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone else?

Have a wacky Wednesday!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 AM

21,543 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Today's Question(s):
I do both. Some things are better purchased in person, such as clothing (so you can try it on) or cosmetics or fragrance (so you can test them on your forearm and see if you like them). For items that are not available locally, or during the holidays when I don't want to run all over town shopping, mail order works for me.

Bonus Question(s):
railroad tracks?
an airport?
a factory?
a truck stop?
other?
It's fairly quiet here, but you can sometimes hear the wind in the trees, cars driving up the street or songbirds.
Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you?
someone at an independent shop/salon? <---- This one
someone else?

Today is:
Grab Some Nuts Day

Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:57 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Today's Question(s):
For books, dvds, and the like, I'll buy online sometimes. I also like bookstores too. For clothes or housewares I'd rather be able to browse or make snap decisions in a store and take or leave want I want. Much easier than returning things you don't want once you see them up close or learn they don't fit, if it's clothes. It's not exactly "green" to ship a bunch of stuff back and forth when you can just go to a store instead.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you live in a noisy area, such as near: You mean other than the ringing in my ears?
railroad tracks? I made tracks to the railroad once.
an airport? I transport air wherever I go. Hot air.
a factory? I've been to a tree factory, a forest.
a truck stop? I've stopped trucks at truck stops many times.
other? And we're back to the ears ringing.

Just for Fun:
Who cuts your hair:
you? Whadaya mean ??
a friend/relative in-home? Has happened.
someone at an independent shop/salon? That, too.
someone at a chain shop/salon? Yep.
someone else? Weed whacker?

Have a pleasant Wednesday, y'all.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:29 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
online, or online and local pickup - better price, price matching

none of those

I do, every day .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics