Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,386,493 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday May 1, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ?

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ?

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ?

Which do you own/wear more of, "solids" (each piece of clothing is a single color)-
or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ?

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ?

Bonus:
Have you ever watched a televised “roast” (comedy event mocking a public figure) ?

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ?
If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ?
If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever been inside a yurt (or structural derivative of that design) ?

LINK ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurt#Western_yurts

Today in History:
1840: Issuing of Great Britain’s Penny Black, the world’s first flat-rate (letters weighing 1/2 oz. or less) adhesive postage stamp
1931: Official opening of NYC’s Empire State Building (world’s tallest building until 1970)
1939: Birth of singer-songwriter Judy Collins
1946: Birth of actress & activist Joanna Lumley (The New Avengers, Absolutely Fabulous)
1950: Birth of actor Dann Florek (L.A. Law, Law & Order)
1971: Amtrak begins U.S. passenger rail service operations, subsuming numerous regional carriers
1978: Naomi Uemura, traveling by dog sled, becomes first person to reach the North Pole alone
1999: Pilot episode of the Nickelodeon tv series SpongeBob SquarePants first airs

Today’s Word:
dint /dint/ :
(n.) A slight smooth dent, impression or hollow.
(vb.) To impact a mark on the surface, by striking with a weapon.
Modern use remains in the phrase “by dint of”, meaning “due to”, or “as a result of”.

Today Is:
May Day/International Workers’ Day
Stepmother’s Day
Lei Day (Hawaii)

-this week is-
National Wildflower Week
Screen-Free (Digital Detox) Week

-this month is-
Global Civility Awareness Month
National Foster Care Month
World Lyme Disease Awareness Month
American Wetlands Month
Clean Air Month
Mental Health Month
National Vinegar Month
Arthritis Awareness Month
Latino Books Month
Mystery Month
National Allergy/Asthma Awareness Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top center-

Thought for the Day:
“Good, the more communicated, more abundant grows.”
-John Milton

Wishing you a merry first day of the month of May
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:12 PM

11,393 posts, read 9,316,239 times

Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? - Nope, but I've had one fall out before...

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ? - Can't remember / I don't think so...

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ? - Not years. Nothing significant that I remember.

Which do you own/wear more of, "solids" (each piece of clothing is a single color)-
or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ?

Solids as I do office work. Dress / casual one might say. Some shirts have patterns but they fit the work dress code.

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ?
- Not many. Trick is if I can go back to sleep.
Not off to a good start today, that's for sure. That 4 hour nap I took today (actually Sunday afternoon) really messed me up.

Bonus:
Have you ever watched a televised “roast” (comedy event mocking a public figure) ?
- Only bits and pieces. I do not like them.

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ? - Yes. It's the most common named city in America.
Springfield, VA is about 30 minutes from where I live. I worked in that city for about a year on a government contract.

If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ? - Washington, DC is not far from me...

If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ? - N/A

Just for Fun:
- Don't think so.

Thanks, cloven
Happy Monday to all!

Last edited by John13; 04-30-2017 at 11:38 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,228,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
[color=DarkRed]Happy Monday May 1, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? No

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ?No If so, was it retrievable ?

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ?Yes

or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ? Solids[/COLYes.OR]

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ?6

Bonus:
Yes I love them

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ?Not that I know of in this area.
If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ?I am sure there must be a Washington Ave somewhere nearby.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever been inside a yurt (or structural derivative of that design) ?No

Today in History:

1978: Naomi Uemura, traveling by dog sled, becomes first person to reach the North Pole alone
1999: Pilot episode of the Nickelodeon tv series SpongeBob SquarePants first airs

]

-this week is-
National Wildflower Week

-this month is-
American Wetlands Month
Clean Air Month
Mental Health Month
National Vinegar Month
Latino Books Month
Mystery Month

Thanks cloven You have a good one too.

Last edited by longneckone; 05-01-2017 at 12:33 AM..

Old 04-30-2017, 11:31 PM

21,597 posts, read 8,764,847 times

Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ?
No, not while I was sleeping. The only time I had any dental work break or fall out was when I was eating hard candy.

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ?
I lost an earring down the bathroom sink drain. I'm afraid it's gone forever. But I still have its mate in case a plumber ever replaces the U-joint and finds it intact.

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ?
Yes, I have found shopping lists, movie theater tickets and transit tickets.

Mostly solids. They're easier to coordinate. If I need some interest, I'll add a patterned scarf.

Extra Credit:
Most nights. I'm retired now and don't have to use an alarm, so I normally sleep until I wake up. But some days I get "the yawns" for no apparent reason.

Bonus:
Yes, I remember watching the Dean Martin roasts. I suspect that they were scripted in advance, but they were still very entertaining.

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ?
No, there are no cities or towns in California named Springfield.

If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ?
Yes, in San Francisco we have a Washington Street and also a Washington Square Park.

If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ?

No, but I think it's interesting that in Britain, the primary downtown shopping street in any town is always referred to as "the high street" no matter what the actual name of the street may be.

Just for Fun:
No, but I think they are wonderful and I'd love to visit one.

Thanks, cloven!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 04-30-2017 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Left off a word.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,954,454 times

Today’s Question:

I'm pretty one of us have. Don't recall.

or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ? Mostly solids.

Extra Credit:
I get enough sleep most nights but don't always feel like it.
Bonus:

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ? Not that I am aware of.
If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ? I'm not sure but could be a street named Washington.

I reside in the U.S. but Caesar Chavez is used absolutely to death everywhere in the U.S.
Just for Fun:
How about a Teepee?
Not bad! https://www.google.com/search?q=yurt...ZjorZttokVNHM:
Today in History:
1840: Issuing of Great Britain’s Penny Black, the world’s first flat-rate (letters weighing 1/2 oz. or less) adhesive postage stamp
1931: Official opening of NYC’s Empire State Building (world’s tallest building until 1970)
1946: Birth of actress & activist Joanna Lumley (The New Avengers, Absolutely Fabulous)
1971: Amtrak begins U.S. passenger rail service operations, subsuming numerous regional carriers

Today’s Word:
dint /dint/ :
Modern use remains in the phrase “by dint of”, meaning “due to”, or “as a result of”.

Today Is:
Stepmother’s Day
Lei Day (Hawaii)

-this week is-
National Wildflower Week

-this month is-
American Wetlands Month
Clean Air Month
Mental Health Month
National Vinegar Month
Latino Books Month
Mystery Month

Thought for the Day:
-John Milton

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-01-2017 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 03:47 AM

18,958 posts, read 11,619,563 times
Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? no I int have any to fall out - no cavities either. I've had dreams that my teeth disintegrated - but not for years now.

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ? yes and yes

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ? yes I like that - used to leave stuff on purpose to find again.

or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ? probably mostly solids but I love stripes and polka dots. Have a few things with flowers, a few tie dye and very little other patterns (besides tshirts with sayings and such)

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ? 1-2

Bonus:
Have you ever watched a televised “roast” (comedy event mocking a public figure) ? yes I used to watch the dean Martin roasts with my parents.

“Springfield” is a very common place-name in the U.S. Is there a “Springfield” city/town/county near you ? yes
If you reside in the USA, does your locality have an area, street, or park (public place) named “Washington” ? so many - so so many!
If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ?[/b][/color]

Just for Fun:
yes!

Wishing you a merry first day of the month of May [/b]rabbit rabbit rabbit! Thank you!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:00 AM

126,340 posts, read 19,117,720 times

Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? Not while sleeping

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ? Yes I dropped twice a little thin knife and a few mini folks down the drain. We had to open up underneath the black pipe. Once opened up it dropped in a bucket that we had put underneath

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ? Sometimes I find a bit of paper money in my other purses,pouches or even in my backpack hidden zipper pocket

or "stripes" (clothing with multicolored patterns & designs-incl. stripes, dots, flowers, tie-dye, etc.) ? Mostly I have solid colors,except in summertime I have a few little flower pattern T-shirts or sailor striped ones

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ? At least 5 days out of 7 days,give or take.

Bonus:
Never

If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ? Not really,not sure

Just for Fun:
Have you ever been inside a yurt (or structural derivative of that design) ? Yes I stayed recently in a yurt in Quebec while on a long weekend snowshoeing trip. It became quite popular here to rent a yurt for winter activities with family or friends.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
dint /dint/ :

Today Is:
Stepmother’s Day
Lei Day (Hawaii)

-this week is-
National Wildflower Week

-this month is-
American Wetlands Month
Clean Air Month
Mental Health Month
National Vinegar Month
Latino Books Month
Mystery Month

Today’s Picture:...thank you for the maze cloven

Thought for the Day:
-John Milton

Thank you cloven and wishing everyone a great start to the month of May

Old 05-01-2017, 05:21 AM

36,457 posts, read 16,066,425 times
Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? No, but i have had one fall out.

I think so, can't remember.
Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ?Money, old notes in my Mom's jackets.

I have a mix of both
Extra Credit:
Most nights I do okay, the occasional up every hour, doesn't happen very often, thank goodness.

Bonus:
Have you ever watched a televised “roast” (comedy event mocking a public figure) ? Years ago, in the good ol days.

If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ? Nope

Just for Fun:
Have you ever been inside a yurt (or structural derivative of that design) ? Nope

Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,662,440 times
Today’s Question:
Have you had a dental filling (or crown, etc.) fall out while you were sleeping ? no

Have you ever lost an item down the drain (of plumbing fixture-sink, bath, toilet) ? If so, was it retrievable ? no

Have you found forgotten items (such as receipts or coins) in your pockets (of jacket or trousers)-weeks, months, even years later ? yes, money. Always a nice find in a jacket.

Which do you own/wear more of, "solids" (each piece of clothing is a single color)- Solid. Black.

Extra Credit:
How many nights, (0—7) in an average week, do you feel like you have gotten “enough” sleep (feeling “rested” when you wake up) ? 2 on the weekends when I can sleep until 9am.

Bonus:
Have you ever watched a televised “roast” (comedy event mocking a public figure) ? No. I think they are cruel.

If you reside outside the US, do you know of a seemingly ubiquitous, frequently used & reused, place-name there ?[/b][/color]

Just for Fun:

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
dint /dint/ :

Today Is:
Stepmother’s Day
Lei Day (Hawaii)

-this week is-
National Wildflower Week

-this month is-
American Wetlands Month
Clean Air Month
Mental Health Month
National Vinegar Month
Latino Books Month
Mystery Month

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-John Milton

[/quote]

Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 AM

27,389 posts, read 27,435,383 times
Yes I've lost contact lens down a drain but don't bother trying to retrieve it. Yuk. Thankfully I had a spare pair.
Speaking of drains, of topic, one of my grandsons decided he was going to rinse the mud off his shoes after making mud pies in the back yard. In the bathroom sink. Soon in law had to take the drain apart to get all that mud out, flushed it out with the hose. That was the highlight of the weekend.
Preference in clothes, solid, black. Unless its something I have to wear for work.
Me? Get enough sleep? Never. It's a treat if I ever get 6 hours any given night of the week.
Happy Monday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics