Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 PM

13,637 posts, read 10,040,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Does that include a steam iron??
I believe so, I can’t really remember what I believe though, memory fading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
I'm so old I remember when washing machines were operated by gasoline engines.
When I was 3 my brother forces me to put my arm through a wash maching wringer and then he turned it on, breaking every vein in my arm. I still have the scar where the DR came to the house and cut my arm open to drain the blood.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:48 PM

I'm so old I remember when:
Everyone had barrels in their back yard to burn trash.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 PM

I'm so old I remember when:

Pay phones gave you change back for the time you didn't use.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'm so old I remember when washing machines were operated by gasoline engines.
When I was 3 my brother forces me to put my arm through a wash maching wringer and then he turned it on, breaking every vein in my arm. I still have the scar where the DR came to the house and cut my arm open to drain the blood.

Holy cow!! You are dang lucky you didn't have permanent nerve damage or damage to the bones that left you with an arm that didn't grow!!! I bet your parents beat the tar out of him for doing that. I know mine would have, had I done something like that to a sibling.

Our first washing machine was a wringer washer, too, but it was electric.

I live in a rural area with no trash pickup at my house and I still have a burn barrel for trash but I don't use it much. I just take the trash to son's house for trash pickup once a week.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:

Holy cow!! You are dang lucky you didn't have permanent nerve damage or damage to the bones that left you with an arm that didn't grow!!! I bet your parents beat the tar out of him for doing that. I know mine would have, had I done something like that to a sibling.

Our first washing machine was a wringer washer, too, but it was electric.

I live in a rural area with no trash pickup at my house and I still have a burn barrel for trash but I don't use it much. I just take the trash to son's house for trash pickup once a week.
I don't remember what Mom did to my brother, I'm sure he got an as* whippin'. ,(our Dad was an alcoholic and left when I was 2),
But there was no major or permenant damage to my arm.
When I was 15 Mom died and the family was split up. We weren't in contact again for about 30 yr's. Now that we are, I tease my brother about
some of the pranks he pulled on me when we were small.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I don't remember what Mom did to my brother, I'm sure he got an as* whippin'. ,(our Dad was an alcoholic and left when I was 2),
But there was no major or permenant damage to my arm.
When I was 15 Mom died and the family was split up. We weren't in contact again for about 30 yr's. Now that we are, I tease my brother about
some of the pranks he pulled on me when we were small.
How nice that you were able to reconnect after such a lengthy separation.

I remember when everything went into heavy paper bags, both large and small, when grocery shopping. I saved the large ones for garbage bags and the small ones for lunch bags.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Anyone else remember those ice cold sodas that were in glass bottles and you pulled them out of a soda machine. Sometimes they were so cold they were slushy 15 - 25 cents as I recall.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Anyone else remember those ice cold sodas that were in glass bottles and you pulled them out of a soda machine. Sometimes they were so cold they were slushy 15 - 25 cents as I recall.

Those old bottles are very collectible now. I remember them at 5 cents but that was in the 1940's.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Quote:
Those old bottles are very collectible now. I remember them at 5 cents but that was in the 1940's.

I have several different bottles that I saved when I cleaned out my parents house. I should do something special with them but I don't have any good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics