Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2022, 09:40 AM

24,785 posts, read 28,677,899 times

Advertisements

I grew up with the Town Crier at 5am every morning ringing a bell. AKA Father banging a wooden spoon on an old pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 11:08 AM

24,655 posts, read 26,215,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
We had sirens at noon and 6 pm, and that was into the 1970s. The town I lived in didn't have a curfew, so no 10 pm siren. But nearby towns that did have curfews, did have 10 pm sirens too. That would not be fun for people who go to bed early.

I could see a noon siren being useful to some people who are working and want to know when to take their lunch break, and it would be a good way to make sure the siren is in working order, but anything more than that, is ridiculous.
Current town that is now a city had a noon whistle for the citrus packing houses and field workers. Both are long gone. The whistle resides at the cities museum.

Old 04-06-2022, 09:18 AM

53,547 posts, read 35,263,441 times
i remember when people were far more concerned about the national debt more than they are today, when it was less than a trillion dollars.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 AM

15,672 posts, read 9,345,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i remember when people were far more concerned about the national debt more than they are today, when it was less than a trillion dollars.
Are you seriously trying to bring your P&OC in to a nostalgia thread?

I remember when people kept their political opinions to themselves and didn't go around trying to ram their beliefs down the throats of every single person they came in contact with. They only put up American flags on legal holidays and that was to show respect for the holiday and what it stood for, not to try and advance a political agenda. The only time they might show their political beliefs was maybe to wear a campaign button on election day, or maybe put a campaign sign in their yards. But those were limited to support for their candidate, and not to insult and express their hatred towards people with other viewpoints.

Boy those days are long gone.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:30 AM

30,837 posts, read 16,463,058 times
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to bring your P&OC in to a nostalgia thread?

I remember when people kept their political opinions to themselves and didn't go around trying to ram their beliefs down the throats of every single person they came in contact with. They only put up American flags on legal holidays and that was to show respect for the holiday and what it stood for, not to try and advance a political agenda. The only time they might show their political beliefs was maybe to wear a campaign button on election day, or maybe put a campaign sign in their yards. But those were limited to support for their candidate, and not to insult and express their hatred towards people with other viewpoints.

Boy those days are long gone.

You got all that from uggabugga's statement?

We had a flag flying all the time except when raining and at night. Nothing to do with politics; more related to patriotism.

I remember when patriotism overshadowed politics but maybe that's a statement for the P&OC forum.

I remember when packages could be left on the front porch and nobody would even think of taking them.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You got all that from uggabugga's statement?

We had a flag flying all the time except when raining and at night. Nothing to do with politics; more related to patriotism.

I remember when patriotism overshadowed politics but maybe that's a statement for the P&OC forum.
Keep it in the P&OC forum where anybody even cares.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Keep it in the P&OC forum where anybody even cares.
If you don't think my comments (or anyone elses') belong here, report it.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:58 PM

33,077 posts, read 36,752,028 times
I remember when Clorox used brown glass bottles, and Campho-Phenique green.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:49 AM

I vaguely remember Camph-Phenique. As I recalled it stunk a lot.

Not sure I remember Clorox in glass bottles.

Ido remember 20 Mule Team Borax but only because they sponsored a tv show.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I vaguely remember Camph-Phenique. As I recalled it stunk a lot.

Not sure I remember Clorox in glass bottles.

Ido remember 20 Mule Team Borax but only because they sponsored a tv show.
Yeah, I don't remember them either. It looks like they switched to white plastic bottles in 1962, which looked amazing similar to the bottles they still use today.

I would hate to think about what it the smell would have been if you accidentally dropped a full glass bottle of Clorox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics