Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 05:22 AM

1,367 posts, read 612,755 times

Advertisements

Covering the Wednesday questions because Kathryn has left the building.

I spent this afternoon deep cleaning my kitchen. So posting these is a welcome break.

Good morning

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? Yes

What have you struck a match to light? Mostly stovetops and fireplaces

Do you have:
Any lighters? No
A fireplace? Yes
A grill? One heavy iron addition for the stovetop, I don't really care for outdoor grilling

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Yes

Have you lit a grill? Yes

Charcoal or gas? Both

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? The honor one

How about toasting marshmallows? Yes

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner?

Is your home equipped with natural gas? Yes

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? Done

Enjoy the day, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 06:11 AM

899 posts, read 670,729 times
Random quote of the day: “(When asked what he thought of Western civilization): 'I think it would be a good idea.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post

I spent this afternoon deep cleaning my kitchen. So posting these is a welcome break.

Good morning
Buenos dias.

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? Yes
Not sure about trash but people often burned leaves. Of all the smells that take me back to childhood, that has to be #1.

What have you struck a match to light?
Fireplaces, outdoors grills, pilot light on water heater or furnace, fireworks when I was a kid, firepit/campfire

Do you have:

Any lighters?
Several, wife is always lighting candles around the house

A fireplace?
Yes
A grill?

Yes

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches?

Yes

Have you lit a grill?
Yes

Charcoal or gas?
(Singing as Eric Clapton) It's all right, it's all right, it's all right...Propane

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors?
I don't mind it, wife always delegates that to me.

How about toasting marshmallows?

Not a fan of marshmallow in any form.

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner?

I know, right? One time a kid lit it right at the jet, no tubing or burner attached, but nothing really spectacular happened. The science teachers are way ahead of us.

Is your home equipped with natural gas?

Yes, and we're a bit perplexed. Around these parts most have electric everything.
If you draw the letter L, at the top of the L is our water heater, and it's gas (yay!). Follow the line down and that's where our stove is...and it's electric? Then finish with your line to the right and there's our fireplace, which has a gas line. Why didn't they put in a gas stove?

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath?

Yes, driving to work one day. Somehow a car caught on fire under the hood. If I ever get a fire under the hood, I don't think I'd open the hood because it will get more oxygen. But at that point maybe that's rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ?

When I was maybe 4, my sister had this really cool cigarette lighter, the kind where it's clear plastic and you might see dice inside or whatever. I had seen her fill it with lighter fluid and decided to do the same. I also noticed how she always tested it after filling. Yeah, that ended up as a trip to the ER. Pro tip: don't let the fluid run down your arm. There was no major damage, but geez!

Enjoy the day, everyone.

Namaste

Old 10-12-2022, 06:24 AM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? As much as possible was burned and things like glasses or plastic was reused.There was definitely less garbage than nowadays

What have you struck a match to light? Candles

Do you have:
Any lighters? Yes
A fireplace? Yes
A grill? No

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Not myself

Have you lit a grill? No

Charcoal or gas? N/A

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Someone else

How about toasting marshmallows? Was fun on camping trips while the kids were small

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yes

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Sadly yes

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? All good

Thank you Peg

Old 10-12-2022, 06:49 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,006 times

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? Yes, years ago in my town, everyone had a burn barrel in their yard.

What have you struck a match to light? A candle

Do you have:
Any lighters?
A fireplace?
A grill?

Have you lit a grill? No

Charcoal or gas? Yes

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Someone else

How about toasting marshmallows? Yes

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yes

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ?

Thank you!

Old 10-12-2022, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,555 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? Not so much trash, but we had 1/2 acre with 40+ fruit trees, and after pruning would burn all of the cuttings in a huge bonfire, back in the 1960s. That's no longer allowed there.

What have you struck a match to light? The match box, a brick, a rock.

Do you have:
Any lighters? Several of the long butane ones for lighting BBQs and fireplaces.
A fireplace? Two, one gas, one woodburning.
A grill? A large one that has two sides, one gas, one charcoal, plus a small Weber for camping.

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Yes, but not lately.

Have you lit a grill? Literally hundreds of times.

Charcoal or gas? Both

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? I love grilling.

How about toasting marshmallows? Too sweet.

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yes, one of the more fun aspects of chemistry class.

Is your home equipped with natural gas? Yes, for one fireplace, the water heater, furnace and stove.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes, several times. Probably 4 houses, one commercial building, 3-4 cars, and a travel trailer.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done

When returning from a vacation at Lake Tahoe, coming up I5 through the northern top of California and into Oregon a few years ago, the wildfire was still smoldering on the side of the highway. It was very smoky but the glowing embers and burned out trees/grasses made for a memorable scene.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,479 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash?

I knew people who did it anyway.

Paper. When I was young I liked to play with matches. Candles as a responsible adult.

Do you have:
Any lighters? No.

A fireplace? Yes, but never lit it. I don’t even know how.

A grill? A small cheap one.

No.

Have you lit a grill?

Yes.

Charcoal or gas?

Charcoal.

It’s too smoky and hot.

They’re ok.

I think I remember a demonstration once.

Yes.

At the beginning of the year I had to call 911 after I passed by a house on fire in my neighborhood. The fire was in the back of the house and neighbors were banging on the doors and windows trying to get the attention of the people inside. They didn’t even know their own house was on fire. Thankfully they got out and there was minimal damage.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ?[/quote]

Yep.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:11 AM

24,456 posts, read 25,991,550 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash?
Yes, burn pit in OH and incinerator in CA.

Fireworks, smokes, grills, candles, camping lanterns and stoves fire places.,

Do you have:
Any lighters?
A fireplace?
A grill?

Have you lit a grill?

No problem either way.

meh

Yes

I have.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done?
Flex hose had a crack in it and leaked, pilot light ignighted and a kitchen cabinet got scorched. good excuse to get rid of the avocado finished cabinets. Stuck on a freeway in the middle of a brush fire. Car was starting to fill with smoke, traffic ahead of me moved just in time.

Thanx PegE, great job and Q's

Old 10-12-2022, 10:59 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? In 'ye olden days we had steel barrels to burn trash.

What have you struck a match to light? Fireworks, candles, kerosene lamps, love letters.

Do you have:
Any lighters? Not anymore.
A fireplace? Not this house.
A grill? No, gave it away.

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Have done so for fireworks.

Have you lit a grill? Have.

Charcoal or gas? Both.

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Let others do it.

How about toasting marshmallows? When I was a wee widdle kid we did.

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yes.

Is your home equipped with natural gas? No, it's all electric.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes have seen many fires, homes. cars, RV's, sheds, large buildings, forest fires, airplanes, etc.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? Have torched myself a time or 2 with minor burns..

Old 10-12-2022, 03:23 PM

35,035 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Covering the Wednesday questions because Kathryn has left the building. Is she OK? I like her.

I spent this afternoon deep cleaning my kitchen. So posting these is a welcome break. Taking break from the legal work

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? If pouring the trash into an apartment incinerator counts, yes, until 1964.

What have you struck a match to light? A candle or a charcoal grill fire (for more see below)

Do you have:
Any lighters? No.
A fireplace? Yes
A grill? Yes

Have you lit a grill? Yes but I usually use an electric starter. Used matches during aftermath of Superstorm Sandy.

Charcoal or gas? Charcoal

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Yes, me or my 26 year old son do it.

How about toasting marshmallows? During summer, once, at a relative's in VT.

Is your home equipped with natural gas? No.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Unfortunately yes.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? Well, read Jack London short story To Build a Fire. No spoiler though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics