Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 05:42 PM

12,654 posts, read 2,998,951 times

Advertisements

Covering the Wednesday questions because Kathryn has left the building.

I spent this afternoon deep cleaning my kitchen. So posting these is a welcome break.

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash?

What have you struck a match to light?

Do you have:
Any lighters?
A fireplace?
A grill?

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches?

Have you lit a grill?

Charcoal or gas?

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors?

How about toasting marshmallows?

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner?

Is your home equipped with natural gas?

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath?

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 06:10 PM

11,407 posts, read 9,330,716 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? - No, never did that.

What have you struck a match to light? - A bowl and a joint (cannabis). Well, more than one, ha, ha.

Do you have:

Any lighters?
- Yes

A fireplace? - No

A grill? - Nope

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? - Nope

Have you lit a grill? - Nope, not my thing.

Charcoal or gas? ^

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? - Even if I wanted to it would be difficult. I'd go if invited but I'm only having one grilled boneless chicken breast and maybe fish. Vegetables okay too but I never had them off a grill. The last time was about 15 years ago, I bought my own chicken breast to the outing.

How about toasting marshmallows? - I remember once as a kid.

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? - I don't remember.

Is your home equipped with natural gas? - Apartment, not sure what they have here.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? - A few months ago awful people or person burned down 3 historic row houses in my neighborhood because they had pride flags on their houses. Sadly they were never caught. The answer? More and more pride flags went up.

Everyone got out but at least one cat died. An ugly stain on this great neighborhood that will take years to rebuild.

I've seen a couple of cars go up in flames.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? - I guess that's it.

Thanks a bunch for filling in, PegE!

Old 10-11-2022, 06:41 PM

14,858 posts, read 8,187,989 times
Nope
At various times in my life....a fireplace and a grill is all that I can think of.
I Don't smoke and never did.

Do you have:
Any lighters?
A fireplace? Not any more<I use to love mine, but probably wouldn't be able to use one anymore,
because I have adult onset asthma. Smoke tends to make me have an asthma attack.

A grill?

Have you lit a grill?
I tried once years ago and didn't succeed. It's okay though, my Husband is the one who likes to grill out
Charcoal or gas?
Charcoal
Husband is the one who likes to grill out....It's good, I get a day off from cooking
Haven't since I was a child, roasting them on a bonfire...but I loved it then!
I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner?
One day someone actually made an explosion in one of the chemistry classrooms, which set off the overhead sprinklers and smoke alarms all over the school.
No, it's all electric.
The Aftermath
Thanks PegE!

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-11-2022 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 06:43 PM

6,955 posts, read 4,960,347 times
As soon as we have had rain for a while I will burn the slash pile. The neighbors have some much larger piles to burn. They took out an orchard. We are just pyromaniacs in my area.

I have a wood stove. I use it all winter. Also have gas furnace and stove.

Don't they have bunsen burners in classes now? We also used propane torches to melt metal in jewelry class in highschool.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:59 PM
bjh

60,243 posts, read 30,504,206 times
I spent this afternoon deep cleaning my kitchen. So posting these is a welcome break.

Nope. Always had trash pick up.
Stove, candle, that's about all I can think of.
Do you have:
Any lighters? Yep. Though I'm not much of a fire bug, I have a very small collection of lighters.
A fireplace? Nope. Only ever had them in apartments a couple times.
A grill? Not at this time, but previously.

We had them when I was a kid though we had no fireplace. I think they were used to light the stovetop when the burners didn't self-start.
Have you lit a grill?
Have.
Charcoal or gas?
Prefer charcoal. Taste the heat and the meat.
I can take it or leave it.
Love 'em.
Oh, yes.
Yep. Furnace, stove, and water heater. Less expensive than electric, at least in previous years.
I have seen a house on fire as I answered yesterday. I called 911 to report it. I've seen cars after. I've seen various burned out vehicles as a trucker passing collision clean ups. . . . Drive safe, y'all!
Sunburn? The sun is a burning ball of fire.

Thanks, PegE. Great job!

Old 10-11-2022, 08:13 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,612,442 times
Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? Yup. Then, after a couple months or so, you have to hire somebody to haul off what won't burn

What have you struck a match to light? Yup

Do you have:
Any lighters? Got one in my pocket
A fireplace? Not sure if it can be used. Hadn't been used in 15+ years and can't afford an inspection to be able to use it
A grill? Charcoal grill. Only kind I'll ever have

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Yup

Have you lit a grill? Yup

Charcoal or gas? I've lit both but at home it's charcoal

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? I'll do it

How about toasting marshmallows? Love them. Ex and her mother used to roast them inside over a burner on the stove

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yup

Is your home equipped with natural gas? Yup. Just for the furnace

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Both

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done? Almost made an "ash" of myself once!

Old 10-12-2022, 12:00 AM

37,818 posts, read 41,123,733 times
Covering the Wednesday questions because Kathryn has left the building.

I don't know. Not normal for me but others may have.

What have you struck a match to light? incense, sparklers, a candle and when we used to have a gas stove.

Do you have:
Any lighters?
No
A fireplace? Not currently. Previous 2 apartments had them. Didn't use it.
A grill? Not now.

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Yes, but for other things.

Have you lit a grill? Yes, in the past.

Charcoal or gas?
Charcoal and propane,

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Someone else.

How about toasting marshmallows? When camping.

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Oh yeah, forgot about that. Eleventh Grade.

Is your home equipped with natural gas? No. All electric.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Car fire.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? Forest fire that jumped the road in the pine barrens (LI, NY) and a controlled burn in a wildlife refuge. I think I was in North Carolina. Somewhere I have a photo of the aftermath. Edit: I forgot I saw the making of Ladder 49 (John Travolta, Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Patrick and Billy Burke) in Maryland when they burned down what I think was some kind of empty high rise Grain Elevator near the water. Have a photo of it taken after the scene was shot. If you saw the movie, it's the building that Joaquin Phoenix's character supposedly dies in.

Last edited by LauraC; 10-12-2022 at 12:12 AM..

Old 10-12-2022, 12:50 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,417,813 times
Good Morning

Did you ever live in a time or place where it was normal to burn your trash? We did burn leaves a few times when we lived on a farm.

What have you struck a match to light? Candle

Do you have:
Any lighters?
A fireplace? No, but we do have a fire pit
A grill?

Have you lit a grill? Yes

Charcoal or gas?

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? Someone else

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? When I was little, I heard the story of my grandmother's house being on fire. I have always been afraid of a house fire.

Time to get ready for work...

Old 10-12-2022, 01:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,639,796 times

----- Yes. A garbage man came, but what was burnable went in the coal furnace, or fall leaf pile. There was no such thing as plastic before the 50s.

------ Coleman camp stove, hundreds of times. Early gas stoves had no pilot light.

Do you have:
Any lighters? Yes
A fireplace? No
A grill? Not now

----- no

Have you lit a grill?
------ Yes

Charcoal or gas?
----- charcoal

----- There are always workaholic volunteers to do all chores

------ I just light them with a match or electric stove and let them flame out.

------ No, LP cannisters

----- Evacuated a house once, but there no damage to my house. At 12, I reportes seeing kitchn flames in the window of the house next door, firemen kept the damage to minor. Also lived on ground floor in a building with flaming 3rd floor windows, had to leave for a few hours.

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? That's about it.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:10 AM

9,752 posts, read 14,321,170 times
Thanks for the Early Bird Questions, Peg!

Yes, when on the farm, we always burned trash in metal barrels.

What have you struck a match to light? Trash, Candles

Do you have:
Any lighters? No
A fireplace? Not in this house. We really didn't like the one we previously had

A grill? No

Did you ever use one of those long fireplace matches? Yes

Have you lit a grill?Yes

Charcoal or gas? Both

Do you like grilling or would you rather someone else did the honors? I hate grilling. It's too much work for me, and too time consuming. We put our grill on the curb, many years ago.

How about toasting marshmallows? No

I can hardly believe we had gas jets in our classrooms growing up. Did your chemistry classes include using a Bunsen burner? Yes

Is your home equipped with natural gas? No. Most historic homes have oil conversion hot water heat, like we do. It's a steady, even heat, and doesn't blow out of vents.

Have you ever seen a car or building on fire or the aftermath? Yes

What else can you tell us about your experiences with fire or are you done ? No experience. Done.

Last edited by rdlr; 10-12-2022 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics