Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 04:50 PM

9,739 posts, read 14,296,191 times

Advertisements

Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live? People say I have a southern drawl, but I don't know.

Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? No If yes, why do you think that happens?

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle? Many years ago
Ever go from really long hair to a very short hairstyle? No
From straight hair to a perm? No
From one length to layers? Yes
Ever have a mullet? No

Have you ever been tear gassed? No
If yes, what were the circumstances?

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately? Hot peppers
Is it something you like or dislike? Obviously....don't like

PICK THE QUESTION YOU WANT TO ANSWER OR FEEL FREE TO ANSWER BOTH::
What are your favorite black and white movies? I don't look at movies
What are your favorite war movies? I don't look at movies

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? Blue

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? No

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION - I NEED ADVICE - JUST SKIP IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER That's good because I don't do anything I don't want to do....(wise crack)

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box.

No tip required.
I have Xfinity service people in here quite frequently for service calls for wiring, high speed internet, e-mails, voice services, box replacements, and even general help with my Smart T.V. I've been with them for Way Over 30 years, and have never paid for any visits/switching boxes/repairs, or help with anything Xfinity. That's because I pay $5.95/per month for my "Service Protection Fee". I'm not sure if they still offer that, but it's paid for itself...time and time again, over the years! I call them every whip-stitch and they're here within an hour. Years ago, a service tech gave me the corporate number for Xfinity, and I haven't called the main service number since. Paying for the Service Protection Fee is one of the smarter things I've done in my life.

Last edited by rdlr; 10-16-2023 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 07:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
The Questions

Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live?
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? If yes, why do you think that happens?
I can't shake my NY accent. Been gone 28 years. Constantly asked to repeat myself. I forget that in a big city you probably don't go through things like bank and pharmacy drive throughs in addition to food drive throughs.

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle? Haven't changed my hair in 20+ years but every Spring I get it cut to just under my ears.
Ever go from really long hair to a very short hairstyle? No
From straight hair to a perm? Yup
From one length to layers? Maybe a very long time ago.
Ever have a mullet? No

Have you ever been tear gassed?
If yes, what were the circumstances?
Yes, but not on purpose. The first time I lived in DC, I lived near (half a block) a circle where demonstrations used to take place or start. I kept my windows open and when the demonstrators got tear gassed, it sometimes came in my window.

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately?
Is it something you like or dislike?
coconut. I don't like it.

PICK THE QUESTION YOU WANT TO ANSWER OR FEEL FREE TO ANSWER BOTH:: some fit in both categories.

What are your favorite black and white movies?
Heidi (the one with Shirley Temple)
Notorious (the one with Cary Grant, not the rapper one)
Invasion From Mars (the one from the 1950s with Kevin McCarthy)
King Rat
Watch On The Rhine
Passage To Marseilles
The House On Telegraph Hill
Dracula (Bela Lugosi)
Pride of The Yankees
Godzilla (the original)
King Kong (the original)
David and Lisa
The Blackboard Jungle
Victim (Dirk Bogarde)

What are your favorite war movies?
Gallipoli (all-time favorite movie)
Casablanca
The Great Escape
Swing Kids
The Purple Heart (one with Dana Andrews)
Eye of The Needle
Where Eagles Dare
Shining Through
The Pacific (actually a miniseries)
Platoon
Night and Fog (a French documentary)
Red Dawn (the original)
Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? pinkish gold

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? Yes

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION - I NEED ADVICE - JUST SKIP IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Last edited by LauraC; 10-16-2023 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 09:18 PM

44,386 posts, read 20,108,348 times
Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live? No accent here; I sound typically Midwestern.
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? I don't recall ever being asked to repeat myself at a drive-through. If yes, why do you think that happens? N/A

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle? About 4 weeks ago, I had 3.5" cut off my hair. I haven't had it this short (barely shoulder length now) for about 25 years.
Ever go from really long hair to a very short hairstyle? I got a short cut in 1987. Never again. I do not like seeing myself in very short hair.
From straight hair to a perm? Never had a perm; my hair is naturally curly.
From one length to layers? I have lots of layers; they accentuate my curls.
Ever have a mullet? No.

Have you ever been tear gassed? No.
If yes, what were the circumstances? N/A

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately? Garlic.
Is it something you like or dislike? Love it.

PICK THE QUESTION YOU WANT TO ANSWER OR FEEL FREE TO ANSWER BOTH::
What are your favorite black and white movies? It's A Wonderful Life; Psycho; The Day the Earth Stood Still.
What are your favorite war movies? Bridge Over the River Quai; Schindler's List; Life Is Beautiful.

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? I have two pairs with my current prescription: one frame is red and one frame is a brown and gold marble.

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? No collision, but had a rather close call just last week with someone who blew a red light.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION - I NEED ADVICE - JUST SKIP IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box. I'm usually a generous tipper, but I would not tip in this situation.

Thanks for playing. Nice job, LauraC! Thanks for preparing the questions.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
I forgot to thank you for the movie ideas. The Bowery Boys movies, for example, I watched on TV, when I was a kid but haven't seen since and how could I forget Psycho or all of the Abbott and Costello movies. Also forgot one of my faves based on a short story I read in high school - The Most Dangerous Game was a 1930s movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics