Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 07:09 PM

37,798 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

The Questions

Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live?
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? If yes, why do you think that happens?

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle?
Ever go from really long hair to a very short hairstyle?
From straight hair to a perm?
From one length to layers?
Ever have a mullet?

Have you ever been tear gassed?
If yes, what were the circumstances?

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately?
Is it something you like or dislike?

PICK THE QUESTION YOU WANT TO ANSWER OR FEEL FREE TO ANSWER BOTH::
What are your favorite black and white movies?
What are your favorite war movies?

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames?

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light?

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION - I NEED ADVICE - JUST SKIP IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box.

Thanks for playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 07:52 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,375,811 times
The Questions
Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live?
Let me let you in on a little secret: everyone has an accent, no matter who they are or where they live.
It's also called a dialect.
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot?
No.
I don't have a hair style i have a hair cut. Last change? 30+ years ago.
No.
No.
One layer, called "short".
Ever have a mullet?
No. I've heard they're served with mustard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullet_(fish)
Uh, no.
In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately?
Cilantro. Tastes like soap to me.
I do not like it.
First to come to mind: It's a Wonderful Life. Not even sure I like that one.
Many more of course, but there are too many to list.
Not my idea of fun.
Silver.
Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light?
Almost, but luckily not.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THIS NEXT QUESTION - I NEED ADVICE - JUST SKIP IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ANSWER
Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box.
No! They shouldn't be charging you for a mandated change imo.

Thanks for playing.
Thanks for posting.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:47 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,860 times

Once. A 16 year old kid that just got his license two weeks earlier ran a flashing red light and plowed into the driver's door on my truck. Both vehicles were totaled. Maybe once a year I forget to fasten my seatbelt. That night was the once in a year. It bounced me around pretty good inside the truck. However I walked away with only a few bumps and bruises. The kid was not hurt. The kid probably had a bigger problem waiting for him at home as he was on his dad's insurance.

A few years later we crossed paths. I could tell he was trying figure out where he knew me from. As I was walking away the look of terror on his face told me he figured out where he knew me from.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:54 PM

21,537 posts, read 8,719,477 times
The Questions

I think so, but my parents were born in rural Kansas and Iowa, so I think I have a little bit of the Midwest region in my speech.
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? If yes, why do you think that happens?
I've never had that happen, but then I haven't been to a drive-through in at least 25 years.
After I retired in 2009 I grew my very short hair to almost shoulder length, then about five years ago I stopped dyeing it and let the gray grow in.
Yes, after I saw Liza Minnelli in "Cabaret." I wanted to look just like her.
From straight hair to a perm? Yes
From one length to layers? Yes
Ever have a mullet? Heck no!
No, although in Army Reserve Basic Training we had to put gas masks on and walk through a building through clouds of tear gas.
Basil. I like it.

"Wings" (1927)
"Little Women" (1933)
"It Happened One Night" (1934)
"Top Hat" (1935)
"Stagecoach" (1939)
"His Girl Friday" (1940)
"The Grapes of Wrath" (1940)
"The Philadelphia Story" (1940)
"The Maltese Falcon" (1941)
"Back Street" (1941)
"Casablanca" (1943)
"The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" (1944)
"Double Indemnity" (1944)
"It's a Wonderful Life" (1946)
"The Big Sleep" (1946)
"The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946)
"La Belle et la Bête" (1946)
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (1948)
"Sunset Boulevard" (1950)
"All About Eve" (1950)
"Strangers on a Train" (1951)
"Roman Holiday" (1953)
"The Apartment" (1960)
"Dr. Strangelove" (1964)
"Young Frankenstein" (1974)

... and many more. Too many to list here. I guess you can tell that I love classic movies!

"Wings" (1927)
"All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930)
"30 Seconds Over Tokyo" (1944)

Burgundy? Eggplant? Sort of a dull purplish-brown.
No, thank heaven. But I did once get rear-ended when I stopped for a yellow light and the driver behind me didn't. She was uninsured, of course.

No, I don't believe tipping is necessary. Cable TV installers are well-paid.

Thanks, LauraC!

Old 10-15-2023, 11:23 PM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
The Questions

I just have a foreign accent. Most people understand me just fine. Few tried to read my lips
I don't buy anything at drive-through.

Last year. Changed from blond to pure white. It's trendy now.

Long time ago. Donated hair to cancer foundation.

Very light perm, just soft waves. It was long time ago also.

Yeah. Looks nice.

Ever have a mullet?

Nah. Not my style.

No. Generally, l am well behaved

Too much salt or sugar.

I like everything, properly cooked. Dislike licorice and white/milk chocolate.

La Strada, Schindler's list, A. Kurosawa movies, Casablanca, The Manchurian candidate...

Come and see, City of Life and Death, The Deer Hunter, Fires on the Plain, Apocalypse now...

Just readers, when tired and the print is small. Often when typing on the phone. Varied frames, right now brown.

I never had any accident.

If they mandated the change, then is on them. If they send the technician, it's on them. If he does you a favor or work on extra request, or if he comes privately, then yes, you pay/tip him for coming. He won't be paid for that by the cable company.
Was the old cable box yours or theirs? It's probably useless/obsolete, and they are just recycling it for you.
While you're not asking, I just wonder why are you paying for a cable box? I ditched it long time ago and bought Amazon Fire stick. Then bought just selected channels - much cheaper. There is no reason to pay for a cable channels you don't ever watch. If interested and want to know more post your Q on Internet Forum or DM me .

Thanks for playing.

Thank you for interesting questions!! Have a great week!

Old 10-15-2023, 11:50 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Questions

No, I don't have an accent....it's the rest of you all who do!!!!
People in Kentucky have a slight Country or Southern accent...most people in Lexington don't really have much if any of an accent (we have a lot of transplants from other places).
I don't go to drive throughs.

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle?A few years back
Ever have a mullet?
Not as an adult....my Granny and Mom use to cut my hair when I was really little, so maybe then, but I don't remember.

I can usually tell what is in a dish, especially spices and herbs.
I like most of them.

I may not be a movie buff nowadays, but I love the old classic movies!
To Kill a Mockingbird
Arsenic and Old Lace
Gas Light
Rear Window
The Night of the Hunter
Psycho
Schindler’s List
Some Like it Hot
Double Indemnity
Suspicion
His Girl Friday
The Apartment
Shadow of a Doubt
I loved Cary Grant, the Alfred Hitchcock movies, Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn

and many more....probably even forgetting some of my favorites.
I think the classic movies were overall much more entertaining as a general rule.

Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's list
Platoon
Band of Brothers
The Bridge Over River Kwai

Black Hawk Down
Zero Dark Thirty
Inglorious Bastards
Schindler’s List
MASH

^Never considered myself a huge war movie fan, but I suppose I am....
I loved all of them.

I have an assortment of different colors (reading glasses mostly and several pairs of sunglasses).

No, but a few close calls!

You should not even have to pay for the service fee much less a tip.
I have never tipped a cable guy.
I use Spectrum internet service and added on their streaming service, but I watch it through a Roku device
so I don't have one of their boxes or any of their equipment.
We own our own Modem and Router too (mostly because my Son is really picky about stuff like that).

Thanks for playing.
Thanks for the questions!

Old 10-16-2023, 12:40 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Good Morning

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle? About six weeks ago
From straight hair to a perm? a very long time ago
Ever have a mullet?

Have you ever been tear gassed? No

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately? Anise
Is it something you like or dislike? Like

What are your favorite black and white movies? I like how the Wizard of Oz starts out as a black and white film (such a timeless movie)
What are your favorite war movies? Jojo Rabbit, 1917

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? blue with some brown

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? No, hopefully never

No, there is no need to tip. You are already paying for the visit.

Enjoy the day!

Old 10-16-2023, 12:47 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
The Questions

Do you have an accent? Not me, others around me do. That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live? It's a mixed town and everyone is different.
Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? No, but they do repeat the order back to me with the cost.If yes, why do you think that happens?

Ever have a mullet?
No to all the above.

Have you ever been tear gassed? Yes.
If yes, what were the circumstances? Part of Army military basic training.

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately? Usually garlic.
Is it something you like or dislike? Some foods yes, some no.

What are your favorite black and white movies? Casablanca.
What are your favorite war movies? Bridge on the River Kwai.

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? Neutral gray.

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? No, several close calls though.

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box. NO, that's what they get paid for. Now if you ask them to mow the lawn or move a refrigerator etc etc then you'd offer a tip. But if they put their hand out for a tip give them a cookie or tell them to not bet on the horses.

Thanks for playing.

Old 10-16-2023, 03:26 AM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times
The Questions

Do you have an accent? That is, do you sound like everyone else in the town where you live? - No accent. Been living in this city for 6 years and have made zero friends. Except for very small talk with employees at stores I would have no idea.

Are you asked to repeat yourself at drive-throughs a lot? If yes, why do you think that happens? - The last time I went through a drive through was about 4 years ago. Before that it was decades. Yes I had to repeat.

When was the last time you majorly changed your hairstyle? - 1991
Ever go from really long hair to a very short hairstyle? - 1979
From straight hair to a perm? - No
From one length to layers? -
Ever have a mullet? - No!

Have you ever been tear gassed? - I have been to many protests. Never experienced tear gas.

In a multi-ingredient food item or dish, what ingredient flavor can you taste/pick out, immediately? - Cheese
Is it something you like or dislike? - Like

What are your favorite black and white movies? - Do 3 Stooges shorts count?
What are your favorite war movies? - No use for that entire genre.

If you wear glasses (including sunglasses) what color are the frames? - Black

Have you ever had a traffic accident or an almost traffic accident because someone blew through a red light? - Coming close probably happened but I do not have any memory of anything too close. Saying that because before I made the correct move and switched over to office admin in 1991, I drove for a living. For the last 3 of those years I logged 300 miles per day (not Class A).

Do I have to tip my cable company if they come to my home to change my TV cable box, if I didn't ask for the change, they mandated it for all customers? They are making me pay for the visit and it's not cheap. They gave me the option of doing it myself but I can not physically do it and I don't like the idea that I'd be expected to return the old box. - The person coming likely is making a very good salary with benefits that I never had in my entire work career.

Hell no!

Thanks for playing. - Thanks for the questions!

Old 10-16-2023, 04:17 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Questions

Can't remember the last time I went through a drive-through but I've never had to repeat myself.

few months ago when a lot of my hair fell out.

yup

once. Turns out I was allergic. Never again.

From one length to layers? yes
Ever have a mullet? nope.

no

salt-dislike

Miracle on 34th Street (the original)
Harvey
Glenn Miller Story
Rear Window

does the Great Escape count? I'm not really a war movie fan.

light tan

nope.

no. You might call the cable company and tell them if they don't drop the charge you'll cancel the service. See what happens.
Thanks for playing.
thanks, Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics