Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 08:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,721 posts, read 81,625,646 times

Advertisements

Did you ever drive a 'stick shift' vehicle? Many, starting with the 3 speed stick on my father's 1964 Chrysler wagon at age 16. Currently I have a 1974 Chevy Nova with 3 speed stick.

Did you have fun driving one? Yes, far more fun that an automatic.

What kind of books do you enjoy? I rarely read books, but mostly humor, such as Pat McManus.

Things that might be found in a 'back yard'; A grill, Potted plants, a deck, a patio, fruit trees, a small pond.

Did you ever have some marbles? Many years ago as a kid.

How about dominoes? Same

Have you ever tried to fly a kite? How well did that go? Mixed results, over many years.

Have you ever had a bison burger? Yes, at the Cabella's cafe.

What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!) 1967 Chevelle coupe 327 V8, 4 speed stick in Marina Blue.

Have you ever, using a machine, waxed a floor or shampooed a carpet? Many times, all of the above.

Do you like to clean out all the house gutter when they get full of autumn leaves or would you rather get them
covered with that mesh stuff that's supposed to stop them from getting clogged? None of those covers work here, we don't get leaves at all, we get the 1" long fir tree needles, and We=stern Redcedar cones. I do hate cleaning them so instead pay a guy about $250 2-3 times a year to blow off the roof and gutters.

Have you ever made a light or dark roux? Both, often, but mostly light. I did a dark one last night for Swedish Meatballs, using the Ikea recipe. Delicious!

What kind of butter do you buy? We get the 4 lb. package of Kirkland Signature from Costco, less frequently the unsalted for baking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 08:55 AM

7,394 posts, read 5,508,833 times
Hello once again on this Friday morning, I do hope these questions find you doing well!

Did you ever drive a 'stick shift' vehicle? No

Did you have fun driving one?

What kind of books do you enjoy? Drama. Autobiographies. Murder mystery’s.

Things that might be found in a 'back yard'; a deck. Garden. Playground equipment.

Did you ever have some marbles? Yes

How about dominoes? Yes

Have you ever tried to fly a kite? How well did that go? yes. Ok. Sometimes got stuck in a tree.

Have you ever had a bison burger? Yes

What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!) mustang

Have you ever, using a machine, waxed a floor or shampooed a carpet? No

Do you like to clean out all the house gutter when they get full of autumn leaves or would you rather get them
covered with that mesh stuff that's supposed to stop them from getting clogged? No. Husband does that.

Have you ever made a light or dark roux? Yes

What kind of butter do you buy? Whatever is on sale.

*** Kitty Buttercup and I are here together, wishing you all the very best! Take good care! *** Thank you!

Thank YOU!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:56 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,054,748 times
Good morning.

Did you ever drive a 'stick shift' vehicle?
Yes. I took the test on one of these.
Not really.
What kind of books do you enjoy?
About India, saints, psychology, art history, logic etc.
Things that might be found in a 'back yard';
Here? Old cars, cats, goats, horses, flowers, wild turkeys etc.
Have you ever tried to fly a kite? How well did that go?
Yes. It was fun.
Have you ever had a bison burger?
Yes.
What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!)
I don't really care as long as it's a Jeep.
Have you ever, using a machine, waxed a floor or shampooed a carpet?
What kind of butter do you buy?
Grass-fed, organic, good quality.

Thanks. Have a great weekend.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:16 AM

24,554 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Yep,3 thru 6 speed trannys.

You betcha I did.

SI FI

Patio, glider, grill, table and chairs and critters.

Did you ever have some marbles?
Yes, but I lost them.

How about dominoes?
Yep, stll have those.

Yes, went well until a guy from the FAA showed up because it was floating over the landing approch at LAX.

No

What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!)
I'll stick with a mid 50's Chevy Nomad.

Shampooed

covered with that mesh stuff that's supposed to stop them from getting clogged?
No leaves here.

Have you ever made a light or dark roux?
No

Currently Land O Lakes.

*** Kitty Buttercup and I are here together, wishing you all the very best! Take good care! *** Thank you!
Thanx Roosty. Tiger Kitty says hi Buttercup.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:35 AM

6,940 posts, read 4,949,532 times
I drove a stick shift until 2004. Stick or automatic, all pretty much the same to me. Some advantages to a stick unless you are in a city with steep hills and lots of traffic.

I like reading murder mysteries and fantasy.

In my back yard - bobcats, coyotes, deer, at least one cougar in the area and all sorts of raptors and other birds. It's a slice of paradise.

Hopefully I still have all my marbles. I have had the other kind. Never played dominoes. My kites always took a nose dive . I have a couple unassembled Chinese ones in my closet. I really should put them together and see if they will fly.

I don't enjoy cleaning my gutters but I do it. I once saw in Williamsburg Virginia a colonial house with no gutters except for over the porches where the doors were. Instead there was a brick trough under the eaves. I would love that set up.

I can make rouxs. I buy Challenge butter or Kirkland's. I am not brand loyal.
I would like a 1948 Land Rover. That basic body style anyway. It would probably ride like a beast, tho. But so cute. A 2002 G500 series Mercedes SUV would probably be a better option. I drove one in 2004 and came very close to buying but went with the more practical 2005 M 350. Both vehicles handled well. When push comes to shove I am really not a car person.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:01 PM

44,402 posts, read 20,136,139 times
Hello once again on this Friday morning, I do hope these questions find you doing well!

Did you ever drive a 'stick shift' vehicle? Yes, once. In the mid-70s I drove my boyfriend's flatbed truck (late at night on a deserted street). I did not do well!

Did you have fun driving one? Fun, but glad there were no other vehicles around!

What kind of books do you enjoy? Biographies and autobiographies; sometimes mystery novels. It just depends on my mood.

Things that might be found in a 'back yard'; Outdoor furniture; storage shed; trash can; garden hose. And, of course, grass, trees and a flower or vegetable garden.

Did you ever have some marbles? Yes, and I still have them. Haven't played marbles in years, though.

How about dominoes? I don't have a domino set. Several friends have sets, so when I play it's with others' dominos.

Have you ever tried to fly a kite? Yes, many times as a kid and several times as an adult. How well did that go? Very well!

Have you ever had a bison burger? No. They're on some menus around here, but the cost is more than I want to pay, and most often I'd rather order seafood.

What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!) A '68 GTO, with red interior and a red pin stripe on each side.

Have you ever, using a machine, waxed a floor or shampooed a carpet? Yes. My mom had a Bissel shampooer/waxer when I was growing up, and sometimes it was my job to clean or wax the floors with it.

Do you like to clean out all the house gutter when they get full of autumn leaves or would you rather get them covered with that mesh stuff that's supposed to stop them from getting clogged? I clean them out myself, though each year it's getting more difficult to haul around my 16' extension ladder to do it. I clean the gutters three times a year.

Have you ever made a light or dark roux? Yes, many times.

What kind of butter do you buy? Land O' Lakes or store brand stick butter.

*** Kitty Buttercup and I are here together, wishing you all the very best! Take good care! *** Thank you! Thanks for the fun fill-ins, roosty! Happy Fryday, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-20-2023, 01:20 PM

35,328 posts, read 17,230,887 times
Hello once again on this Friday morning, I do hope these questions find you doing well! Thanks as always for the questions

Did you ever drive a 'stick shift' vehicle? Sort of at sleepaway camp

Did you have fun driving one? Not really

What kind of books do you enjoy? Nonfiction history

Things that might be found in a 'back yard'; A fuel tank fill-pipe

Did you ever have some marbles? I think as a very young child

How about dominoes? I think as a very young child

Have you ever tried to fly a kite? How well did that go? Yes, not real well, my sons have had better luck

Have you ever had a bison burger? Quite often

What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!) Not sure, pass

Have you ever, using a machine, waxed a floor or shampooed a carpet? No, my wife and children have

Do you like to clean out all the house gutter when they get full of autumn leaves or would you rather get them covered with that mesh stuff that's supposed to stop them from getting clogged? Mesh, I'm not crazy about spending a lot of time on ladders

Have you ever made a light or dark roux? Don't know what that is

What kind of butter do you buy? Whatever is on sale.

Old 10-20-2023, 03:40 PM

21,608 posts, read 8,776,380 times
Yes, I learned to drive a manual transmission on the hills of San Francisco. That was an adventure! I also learned how, when my ancient VW bug wouldn't start, to coast downhill and pop the clutch in second gear.
Yes, for many years that's all I wanted to drive. I liked the idea of being in complete control of the gear changes.
Mostly non-fiction: Biography, history and current events. I read fiction only occasionally.
Grass, trees, fences, bushes, flowers, lawn furniture, a deck or patio, swimming pools or spas, barbecue grills, dogs or cats, croquet set, ping ping table, trampoline, play equipment (swings, slides, sandbox, etc.)
I've played with marbles as a child, but I don't remember if they were mine or someone else's.
How about dominoes?
Yes, we have a set.
Yes, it went well with a kite from the toy store, but when I tried to make my own, that didn't go well at all.
No, although one of our neighborhood restaurants features them. It's on my bucket list.
I'd love to have a mint-condition late 1960s Volkswagen Beetle.
No, I've never done that.
Earlier this year we had the gutters cleaned and "that mesh stuff" installed.
Yes, I've made both. For Thanksgiving I usually make a roux a few days ahead, store it in the fridge and then use it to make turkey gravy.
Right now I'm using Trader Joe's organic butter, but I also like butter from one of our local dairies or Kerrygold from Ireland.

Thanks, Roosty!

Old 10-20-2023, 04:03 PM

27,397 posts, read 27,445,727 times
Most of my previous vehicles were manual transmissions. Including 10 speed and 13 speed manual transmissions from my trucking days. Now you have a tough time finding one though.
Things in our back yard…bar b q grill, trees, grass, kids bikes, basketball hoop.
I loved flying kites as a kid.
If I could find one completely rebuilt all the way around would be my old 02 Dakota with the 5 speed stick.
Butter. We buy any salted butter. Whatever is on sale.
Happy Friday everyone ~~~

Old 10-20-2023, 06:32 PM

14,845 posts, read 8,178,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

No (I mean I tried once, for about 5 minutes.... it was nightmarish!)

Depends on my mood. I like thrillers, mysteries but I actually probably read more nonfiction.
Grill, garden, pool, bird bath, picnic table
Sure, at one time, long ago....lost them a long time ago!
How about dominoes?
Lost them too.
It was fun and went well briefly, but it became boring quickly.
No
What kind of old vehicle would you love to have provided it still looks great and runs great? (and you can afford it!) Don't drive any more.

Yes often.
What gutters?

Right now I have some Kerry Irish butter and some Challenge butter.

*** Kitty Buttercup and I are here together, wishing you all the very best! Take good care! *** Thank you! Pet Buttercup for me!

U2!
Thanks Roosty!

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-20-2023 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics