Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 06:02 AM

9,752 posts, read 14,322,916 times

Advertisements

Today’s Questions:
What color are your eyes? Blue

What color is (or was) your hair? Now, champagne blonde, was more of a yellow blonde

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year? Nothing. I'll be in my house, hiding from the drunks out there.

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023? After 2 years, I've adjusted to being a widow, and have landed on my feet......all thanks to my everyday work as an Independent Contractor. My business is demanding, yet rewarding because I meet with Veterans every day.

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024? I have 2 large jobs I'd love to complete 1) Clean out the attic 2) Clean out the basement. They will require many, many trips up and down stairs.

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by rdlr; 12-31-2023 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 06:09 AM

3,211 posts, read 1,062,266 times
Good morning.

What color are your eyes?
Brown.
What color is your hair?
Reddish - brown. Natural.
What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year?
I'll be asleep. I have plans for the first day of the new year early in the morning and then in the afternoon.
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023?
I moved to the countryside.
Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024?
I'll move to another state. I don't want to but I have to. Since I can't live here in CA anymore ... I was thinking that I might just go back to Europe. But the situation there in Germany (and the rest of Europe) is more problematic now. I'll have to see, think about it, it depends.

Thanks Bay.
Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-31-2023, 06:14 AM

18,969 posts, read 11,631,658 times
greenish-blue - they seem to be getting more blue than green as I get older

What color is (or was) your hair?
The browner side of chestnut brown. If I dye it I go for a redder chestnut brown - something that looks like it could be natural on someone lol

Nibbling through the evening, watch the ball drop and toast with prosecco at midnight, bed at 12:03am

We moved back into our house after over 4 years of being nomads.

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024?
Resolving a stressful health problem and working out early retirement

Today in History:
1229 – James I the Conqueror, King of Aragon, enters Medina Mayurqa (now known as Palma, Spain), thus consummating the Christian reconquest of the island of Majorca.[6]
I prefer our very own KathrynAragon
1600 – The British East India Company is chartered.
More tea for me
1831 – Gramercy Park is deeded to New York City.
My sister lives at Gramercy Park! It's the last private park in Manhattan
1983 – The AT&T Bell System is broken up by the United States Government.
I remember what a huge deal that was

Thank you, Bay! Happy New Year everyone!
Posting Guide

Old 12-31-2023, 06:15 AM

35,363 posts, read 17,265,000 times
Today’s Questions:
What color are your eyes? Brown

What color is (or was) your hair? Red till I was 13, slowly darkening to brown

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year? Going out with the wife in a couple that are family friends.Husband is going to Rose Bowl

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023? 1) Son's relationship with girlfriend deepened. 2) Replaced underground oil tank without needing major environmental remediation. 3) One I can't discuss but very important and good.

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024? Some legal victories, and another relatively good year. Those are all a blessing when you're 66, married to a 63 year old.

Today in History:
1775 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Quebec: British forces repulse an attack by Continental Army General Richard Montgomery. Benedict Arnold fought a great fight, and was not a synonym for traitor in any sense yet.
1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of the Province of Canada. But not yet NS, NB or PEI. Canada was fusion of portions of modern Ontario, then Upper Canada and portions of modern Quebec, then Lower Canada
1862 – American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln signs an act that admits West Virginia to the Union, thus dividing Virginia in two. Great move but arguably unconstitutional
1879 – Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Not a New Jersey joke then.

Happy New Year, Everyone! Happy New Year and thanks for the questions!

Old 12-31-2023, 06:17 AM

1,403 posts, read 633,891 times
First and foremost a shout out to LauraC: WOW! Just WOW on those exquisite pictures.

Today’s Questions:

### Dark brown

### Dark Auburn-ish. Now salt and pepper. Mostly salt, I confess.

### Stay home like always, homemade macaroni and cheese with chorizo, goat cheesecake, turron (sweet nougats from Spain) flushed down with alcohol free beer on tonight’s menu.

### Our travel adventures.

### More travel adventures.

### Thanks for the Q’s and today’s DIH, Bay.

### Wishing you and all QOTD posters a Very Merry New Year full of health and all good things.

Old 12-31-2023, 06:20 AM

5,614 posts, read 6,556,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 31, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Famous people born on this date include artist Henri Matisse, cosmetics magnate Elizabeth Arden, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, composer Jule Styne, jazz musician Jonah Jones, actors Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and Tim Matheson; actresses Sarah Miles and Bebe Neuwirth; rockers Andy Summers and Burton Cummings; singers John Denver and Donna Summers, film director Taylor Hackford, fashion designer Diane von Fürstenberg and presidential son Donald Trump, Jr.

Today’s Questions:
What color are your eyes?Blue

What color is (or was) your hair?Blonde

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year?Meeting with my Rummikube ladies group.

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023? N/A

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024?N/A

Today in History:
406 – Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gaul.
1105 – Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV is forced to abdicate in favor of his son, Henry V, in Ingelheim.]
1229 – James I the Conqueror, King of Aragon, enters Medina Mayurqa (now known as Palma, Spain), thus consummating the Christian reconquest of the island of Majorca.[6]
1660 – James II of England is named Duke of Normandy by Louis XIV of France.
1687 – The first Huguenots set sail from France to the Cape of Good Hope.
1759 – Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease at £45 per annum and starts brewing Guinness.
1775 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Quebec: British forces repulse an attack by Continental Army General Richard Montgomery.
1796 – The incorporation of Baltimore as a city.
1844 – The Philippines skipped this date to align the country with the rest of Asia, as the trading interest switched to China, Dutch East Indies and neighboring territories after Mexico gained independence from Spain on 27 September 1821. In the islands, Monday, 30 December 1844 was immediately followed by Wednesday, 1 January 1845.
1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of the Province of Canada.
1862 – American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln signs an act that admits West Virginia to the Union, thus dividing Virginia in two.
1878 – Karl Benz, working in Mannheim, Germany, files for a patent on his first reliable two-stroke gas engine. He was granted the patent in 1879.
1879 – Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey.
1907 – The first ever ball drop in Times Square.
1942 – USS Essex, first aircraft carrier of a 24-ship class, is commissioned.
1942 – World War II: The Royal Navy defeats the Kriegsmarine at the Battle of the Barents Sea. This leads to the resignation of Grand Admiral Erich Raeder a month later.
1944 – World War II: Operation Nordwind, the last major Wehrmacht offensive on the Western Front, begins.
1946 – President Harry S Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II.
1951 – Cold War: The Marshall Plan expires after distributing more than US$13.3 billion in foreign aid to rebuild Western Europe.
1955 – General Motors becomes the first U.S. corporation to make over US$1 billion in a year.
1956 – The Romanian Television network begins its first broadcast in Bucharest.
1961 – RTÉ, Ireland's state broadcaster, launches its first national television service.
1963 – The Central African Federation officially collapses, subsequently becoming Zambia, Malawi and Rhodesia.
1968 – The first flight of the Tupolev Tu-144, the first civilian supersonic transport in the world.
1983 – Benjamin Ward is appointed New York City Police Department's first ever African American police commissioner.
1991 – All official Soviet Union institutions have ceased operations by this date, five days after the Soviet Union is officially dissolved.
1992 – Czechoslovakia is peacefully dissolved in what is dubbed by media as the Velvet Divorce, resulting in the creation of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic.
1994 – This date is skipped altogether in Kiribati as the Phoenix Islands and Line Islands change time zones from UTC−11:00 to UTC+13:00 and UTC−10:00 to UTC+14:00, respectively.
1994 – The First Chechen War: The Russian Ground Forces begin a New Year's storming of Grozny.
1998 – The European Exchange Rate Mechanism freezes the values of the legacy currencies in the Eurozone and establishes the value of the euro currency.
1999 – The first President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, resigns from office, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as the acting President and successor.
1999 – The U.S. government hands control of the Panama Canal (as well all the adjacent land to the canal known as the Panama Canal Zone) to Panama. This act complied with the signing of the 1977 Torrijos–Carter Treaties.
2000 – The last day of the 20th Century and 2nd Millennium.
2004 – The official opening of Taipei 101, the tallest skyscraper at that time in the world, standing at a height of 509 meters (1,670 ft).
2009 – Both a blue moon and a lunar eclipse occur.
2011 – NASA succeeds in putting the first of two Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory satellites in orbit around the Moon.
2019 – The World Health Organization is informed of cases of pneumonia with an unknown cause, detected in Wuhan. This later turns out to be COVID-19, the cause of the COVID-19 pandemic.[19]
2020 – The World Health Organization issues its first emergency use validation for a COVID-19 vaccine.

Happy New Year, Everyone!
Same to you!

Old 12-31-2023, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
Good morning, BayArea, and thank you!

What color are your eyes? Dark brown.

What color is (or was) your hair? My hair is now blonde but used to be auburn.

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year? Going to visit family near Shreveport, Louisiana.

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023? No one that I am close to died. Also, I turned in my notice at work, and Friday should be my last day!

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024? I am looking forward to two big things: a big vacation to Seoul, Korea, and moving to Ohio.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:09 AM

126,390 posts, read 19,147,868 times
Quote:
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 31, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Famous people born on this date include artist Henri Matisse, cosmetics magnate Elizabeth Arden, Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, composer Jule Styne, jazz musician Jonah Jones, actors Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley and Tim Matheson; actresses Sarah Miles and Bebe Neuwirth; rockers Andy Summers and Burton Cummings; singers John Denver and Donna Summers, film director Taylor Hackford, fashion designer Diane von Fürstenberg and presidential son Donald Trump, Jr.

Today’s Questions:
What color are your eyes?.......Hazel

What color is (or was) your hair?......... Grey

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year?.........Play board games

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023?.........Another granddaughter was born

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024?........Trips

Today in History:
406 – Vandals, Alans and Suebians cross the Rhine, beginning an invasion of Gaul.
1105 – Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV is forced to abdicate in favor of his son, Henry V, in Ingelheim.]
1660 – James II of England is named Duke of Normandy by Louis XIV of France.
1687 – The first Huguenots set sail from France to the Cape of Good Hope.
1759 – Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease at £45 per annum and starts brewing Guinness.
1775 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Quebec: British forces repulse an attack by Continental Army General Richard Montgomery.
1796 – The incorporation of Baltimore as a city.
1844 – The Philippines skipped this date to align the country with the rest of Asia, as the trading interest switched to China, Dutch East Indies and neighboring territories after Mexico gained independence from Spain on 27 September 1821. In the islands, Monday, 30 December 1844 was immediately followed by Wednesday, 1 January 1845.
1857 – Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa, then a small logging town, as the capital of the Province of Canada.
1862 – American Civil War: Abraham Lincoln signs an act that admits West Virginia to the Union, thus dividing Virginia in two.
1878 – Karl Benz, working in Mannheim, Germany, files for a patent on his first reliable two-stroke gas engine. He was granted the patent in 1879.
1879 – Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey.
1907 – The first ever ball drop in Times Square.
1942 – USS Essex, first aircraft carrier of a 24-ship class, is commissioned.
1942 – World War II: The Royal Navy defeats the Kriegsmarine at the Battle of the Barents Sea. This leads to the resignation of Grand Admiral Erich Raeder a month later.
1944 – World War II: Operation Nordwind, the last major Wehrmacht offensive on the Western Front, begins.
1946 – President Harry S Truman officially proclaims the end of hostilities in World War II.
1951 – Cold War: The Marshall Plan expires after distributing more than US$13.3 billion in foreign aid to rebuild Western Europe.
1955 – General Motors becomes the first U.S. corporation to make over US$1 billion in a year.
1956 – The Romanian Television network begins its first broadcast in Bucharest.
1961 – RTÉ, Ireland's state broadcaster, launches its first national television service.
1963 – The Central African Federation officially collapses, subsequently becoming Zambia, Malawi and Rhodesia.
1968 – The first flight of the Tupolev Tu-144, the first civilian supersonic transport in the world.
1983 – Benjamin Ward is appointed New York City Police Department's first ever African American police commissioner.
1991 – All official Soviet Union institutions have ceased operations by this date, five days after the Soviet Union is officially dissolved.
1992 – Czechoslovakia is peacefully dissolved in what is dubbed by media as the Velvet Divorce, resulting in the creation of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic.
1994 – This date is skipped altogether in Kiribati as the Phoenix Islands and Line Islands change time zones from UTC−11:00 to UTC+13:00 and UTC−10:00 to UTC+14:00, respectively.
1994 – The First Chechen War: The Russian Ground Forces begin a New Year's storming of Grozny.
1998 – The European Exchange Rate Mechanism freezes the values of the legacy currencies in the Eurozone and establishes the value of the euro currency.
1999 – The first President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, resigns from office, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as the acting President and successor.
1999 – The U.S. government hands control of the Panama Canal (as well all the adjacent land to the canal known as the Panama Canal Zone) to Panama. This act complied with the signing of the 1977 Torrijos–Carter Treaties.
2000 – The last day of the 20th Century and 2nd Millennium.
2004 – The official opening of Taipei 101, the tallest skyscraper at that time in the world, standing at a height of 509 meters (1,670 ft).
2009 – Both a blue moon and a lunar eclipse occur.
2011 – NASA succeeds in putting the first of two Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory satellites in orbit around the Moon.
2019 – The World Health Organization is informed of cases of pneumonia with an unknown cause, detected in Wuhan. This later turns out to be COVID-19, the cause of the COVID-19 pandemic.[19]
2020 – The World Health Organization issues its first emergency use validation for a COVID-19 vaccine.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Thank you Bayarea and Happy New Year to one and all!

Old 12-31-2023, 08:25 AM

7,398 posts, read 5,512,445 times
Today’s Questions:
What color are your eyes? green

What color is (or was) your hair? blondish brown

What are you doing (if anything) to ring in the New Year? going out to dinner

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2023? I finally got to go on my dream trip to London and Paris.

Is there anything that you’re looking forward to, or that you hope to accomplish, in 2024? take better care of my health.

Happy New Years Eve!

Old 12-31-2023, 10:09 AM

24,568 posts, read 26,123,714 times
Quote:
I can't rep you again yet, LauraC, but thanks for posting those photos. They are amazing!
Did it for you Bay.

Today’s Questions:
Blue

Was brown, what's left on the fringes is gray.

Probably sawing logs.

Made it to 12/31/2023.

See the birth of a new great grand child. Making it to 2025

Thanx Bayarea4. and Happy New Year to all the QOTD folks.

Last edited by motormaker; 12-31-2023 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics