Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:40 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,618,697 times

Advertisements

People who don't tip the waitress because the cook didn't cook something right. Leaving no tip does not perturb the cook.

Last edited by AliceT; 12-13-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:43 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,666,325 times
My husband always tips five bucks at a buffet because we know few people tip at a buffet.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:31 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,874,167 times
Same here-we always tip at a buffet. We have waitresses hoping we sit in their sections.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:48 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,922,500 times
Oh,,, this is my hot button topic on peeves. Those who wait tables and make sure your meal is as good as it can be for you surely deserve 20% tip. They didn’t cook it, and if it’s wrong they’ll take it back to the kitchen for the cook, but they are the ones, the only one who is paying attention to your comfort and meal while dining out. I always leave 20% just because times are hard and they have fewer people leaving tips.

One time,,, only once! I had to talk with the manager of a restaurant about the waiter. He was the only waiter that I couldn’t believe could have made things worse if he had tried. After the meal when paying the bill they asked how things were? I couldn’t help myself (Mrs Aks stepped back and let me go) I asked for the manager who came forward and told the staff that had gathered around just how bad the waiter was. The funny part was that I continued to compliment him at the same time. Example ~ “the young man I’m sure will make an excellent employee for someone or some company but he just isn’t a waiter!” “I’m sure that with the lack of focus on customers ~ that he might be very good at doing other types of work – like data-entry, mechanical, but NOT working with people or customers.” Of course I did also provide the specifics of what he did that was wrong and how he failed to provide any reasonable service. By the time I was done everyone was laughing and I was able to express my displeasure with the service and felt better as well. I also gave him a tip 20% and said that it should be used to help him get started on a new and different career.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:48 AM

27,384 posts, read 27,429,648 times
We always tip the server, its not her fault the cook screwed up, and leave a comment on the back of the ticket for the manager to see as well, when that happens.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
We always tip the server, its not her fault the cook screwed up, and leave a comment on the back of the ticket for the manager to see as well, when that happens.
Funny! I always leave a note on the top or bottom of the ticket for the waiter/s and manager to see as well. I tell them “excellent food & service” also add a and thanks! If the food wasn’t that good I still add “excellent service and add the to the ticket.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,685,649 times
I traveled around the midwest, when I was working or covering a race for the ministry I was with. I ate at a lot of restaurants. One of the things I tried to do was develop a quick friendship with the server. Before I asked for God's blessing on my meal and the rest of my day I would ask the server if there was anything in their life I could pray for. I found, over the years, waitresses are a troubled group. A large percentage of them are single parents with a husband that left them or they had to leave because of abuse. Leaving a $50 tip on a $5 soup and sandwich was not a problem. At this time of the year, in the spirit of giving, would someone do that fo me? I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to be that generous.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Thumbs up Studedude

I have to agree with you, you’re so right,,,, thank you for the post and insight.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

27,384 posts, read 27,429,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I traveled around the midwest, when I was working or covering a race for the ministry I was with. I ate at a lot of restaurants. One of the things I tried to do was develop a quick friendship with the server. Before I asked for God's blessing on my meal and the rest of my day I would ask the server if there was anything in their life I could pray for. I found, over the years, waitresses are a troubled group. A large percentage of them are single parents with a husband that left them or they had to leave because of abuse. Leaving a $50 tip on a $5 soup and sandwich was not a problem. At this time of the year, in the spirit of giving, would someone do that fo me? I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to be that generous.

I worked as a food server, and worked 2 jobs as a single parent. Im not sure about all other states but back in Az, the wages are 2.25 hr plus your tips. Its okay as a 2nd job, or as a 2nd income if one is married or you just want a few extra bucks, but you really cant survive on just those wages.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,874,167 times
I have noticed a big difference in the tipping practices here as compared to the east coast. We have always been big tippers but here I've seen everything from nothing to pennies, nickles-very rarely a dollar bill and we are a pretty affluent town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics