Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 25,702 times

Advertisements

Do you identify yourself based on color or ethnicity. For Example me, i first classify myself as a Muslim before anything else because in my believe my faith is more important than any other allegiance. Second iam somali, third iam my parents daughter and finally it is my clan.

Last edited by Bo; 02-01-2009 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search. Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,484,624 times
I identify myself as white. I am Irish, Italian, Scottish, and French. Since my ancestors come from 4 different countries, I don't have an allegiance to one country in particular. I identify more with America than with any of those countries since I was born in America and would never live outside the country.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,684,159 times
Honestly, it depends on the conversation. My nationality is American, my race is Caucasian, my color is white, and my heritage is Mediterranean/Latin mixed with Scandinavian. I am a Christian by birth, but am not religious.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,321,495 times
I classify myself as Portuguese-American. My parents were Azorean but I was born here. And although I grew up in a California community where I enjoyed a little Azorean culture, I still identify more with being "American". As with city_data91, I have no desire to live anywhere else.

On applications, though, I classify myself as 'white'.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 25,702 times
I know obviously most of you are American's but i ask this question because i had a very interesting conversation with a school mate of mind. For example even though iam a black person i dont identify with it at all because in my culture color is irrelevant while here in America millions of people identify with color. It seem's one is always Black, White, Asian etc. on applications i always tick other.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:17 AM

42 posts, read 184,801 times
Default Myself

I am an American Caucasian who's ancestors are from England and Poland. Most importantly, I'm Jewish, which means the most to me. I also feel that everyone is different, and I am friends with people with different races, religions, cultural background, etc. As long as people are ok with who I am, I'm ok with with who they are.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,693,895 times
I base myself around the people i grew up with. I'm really Italian/Spanish (Spanish meaning Spain) but i never met my father and i grew up with my mother who was ALL ITALIAN BABY. so usually i leave out the Spanish part.

But, all my friends were Black and Hispanic. I went to a public HS in Newark and the school had over a 60% black population while the white population was 8 or 9%. (the school was the ONLY good public HS in Newark)
So this practically aligned my life, since my wife is Black and my daughter is Half white half black.

Like a slave once said
If I'm being prevented to read and write showing that i have the ability to do so why am i not considered human also. (not in these exact words, but you get the point)

So i'm saying, being a race is one thing. But is it important? does the way i breath and eat different from an Asian or a Black person?

so i consider myself as The Human Race.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 02-01-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,855,289 times
Not sure. Christian, white, American, Missourian.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
I must say I was not going to this place when I read the link to this thread.

My first thought was "The husband of my wife". That is the most important role in my life.

My second was (because I am a wise ass) "By looking in the mirror".

I never even thought about color or ancestry, which is kind of weird because my wife was asking me questions about my GG Grandfather, who was a doctor on the ships that took freed slaves to Liberia in the 1800's, just last night. There are some very interesting entries in his records.

But, to get back on track: Caucasian American male. We know some about where we came from, but my father was adopted and his mother was either Irish or Italian depending on the story. When I look in the mirror, and at my siblings, I say Italian. We do know Dutch, English, about half German, Welsh, maybe Scottish. Religion would be a "No, thank you".

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 02-01-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: GG Grandfather, not G Grandfather

Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 PM

27,383 posts, read 27,429,648 times
I would say 'kibbles n bits'. With the mix of Japanese, Hungarian, French-Canadian and American in me, thats the only way I can put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics