Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:34 AM

38 posts, read 78,951 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have only ever smelled a skunk while passing a dead one on the road... I will tell you that the smell of a FRESHLY spraying skunk is ONE of the most hideous smells imaginable. It has a garlic undertone to it. This is number 6 for my jack russell - who thinks, "THIS will be the time I get that blasted sku... ARF ARF YIKE YIKE!!!"

Brought him to the bathtub for his quarterly tomato/baking soda bath. The smell WOKE the children up.

Okay... my dog really isn't for sale. Just in case you were wondering.

I wish I were deaf in my nose.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Talking National Take your pet to school day

It could be a good day for the kids to take the dog to school day! They’ll send everyone home and the whole school will have an extra day off. National Pet Day,,, take you dog to school. I like the idea

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
When I was like 6...we had a german Shepard that pulled that stunt. My Mom was so pissed. We did a tub full of tomatoe juice if I remember correctly. Can't remember if it worked or not. But yes...that dog stunk!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
We have a Visla that has probably gotten 8 skunks in her 3 years of life! In the summer we sleep with the windows open, and yes that smell will wake you up!! Not only would she get sprayed, she would kill it, too - so then we had to deal with the smell and what to do with a dead skunk!

The last time for her, I heard her barking and went outside to find her about 4 feet from a skunk! Amazingly enough, the skunk hadn't sprayed, so I'm outside (at a distance!) trying to call the dog and every time she barked this skunk would jump at her, but not spray!!! After about five miuntes, I finally got her to come inside!

Now we also have a younger Rodesian Ridgeback, so now she takes him out and gets him sprayed, but she gets out of the way in time! Then she comes back looking like "Yep, I'm the good dog around here!"

Oh - a mix of 2tbs of Dawn dish soap and a quart of peroxide is the best thing I have tried. It actually gets rid of the smell as you are washing the dog! I don't have my "recipe" with me, but I think that is pretty close!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:06 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
You are right, the smell of fresh spray near you almost makes you sick to your stomach, it is overwhelming, much worse than smelling it as you pasas by a dead skunk on the road.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:34 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
My dad was coming home from work on second shift and got the raw end of the skunk deal. The car coming towards him hit the skunk and somehow knocked the skunk up on my dad's car! Nothing worse that the smell of the skunk on the hood and everywhere, but also, being hit by a car knocked the sh*t out of the skunk and all over my dad's car. Try BOTH of those smells together! We shared a driveway with the next door neighbors and they said they could smell the car through the central air! It took a few days and a BUNCH of quarters at the car wash to get the smell off!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I agree with the smell.

When we had a CB radio, my Mom's handle was "skunk"
When we would go camping, they would alway find her...trouble is her dog would always feel the need to "protect" his Mommy.

1st thing always packed for camping trips was the tomato sauce.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
The last time for her, I heard her barking and went outside to find her about 4 feet from a skunk! Amazingly enough, the skunk hadn't sprayed, so I'm outside (at a distance!) trying to call the dog and every time she barked this skunk would jump at her, but not spray!!!

In all honesty, a skunk's spray is it's last and final defense. They don't like their smell either, so spraying is not the first thing they do. It's the last thing.

We have plenty of skunks around here and I've been within like 3 feet of them, shooo'ing them away and they don't spray.

But the stamping of the feet and "barking" is their final straw... after that... look out!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
In all honesty, a skunk's spray is it's last and final defense. They don't like their smell either, so spraying is not the first thing they do. It's the last thing.

We have plenty of skunks around here and I've been within like 3 feet of them, shooo'ing them away and they don't spray.

But the stamping of the feet and "barking" is their final straw... after that... look out!
Oh, I thought maybe it was one of the skunks she had been in contact with before, thinking to itself "This dog is such a dumb *$$, I can't bear to spray it again!" You know, now that I think of it, I was in a house that was just framed, and walked into the living room area to find a skunk - I was pretty close, and it did not spray!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
The Recipie & Directions it works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics