Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 AM

5,234 posts, read 8,012,937 times

Advertisements

Perhaps his dad got his PhD, taught for awhile then got sick of it and actually likes the traveling and being a trucker. Who knows, who cares, its his life. When you grow up you will find the road doesn't always go like you think it will. Maybe his PhD was in the Dead Languages and he had a hard time finding a position. If you are so curious about his dad, why not ask this guy. Maybe this guy decided he didn't want student loans it sometimes takes years to pay back, and wants to start making money as soon as possible. Concentrate on your own life and worry less about everyone else and you will be better off. You did actually give a backhanded insult to truckers by calling the guy a fat dumb loser, as he is choosing to be a trucker and dropping out of college.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,413,976 times
city-data91, I think that you need to take a break from the academic world and go learn from the people who live differently from your perception of education. It was very unncessary of you to put someone's business online, and IMO, you don't have any compassion for those who are struggling by judging them base on their circumstances and their choices.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,364,384 times
If we all were willing to walk a mile in someone else's shoes the world would be allot more friendlier

Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,499,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Perhaps his dad got his PhD, taught for awhile then got sick of it and actually likes the traveling and being a trucker. Who knows, who cares, its his life. When you grow up you will find the road doesn't always go like you think it will. Maybe his PhD was in the Dead Languages and he had a hard time finding a position. If you are so curious about his dad, why not ask this guy. Maybe this guy decided he didn't want student loans it sometimes takes years to pay back, and wants to start making money as soon as possible. Concentrate on your own life and worry less about everyone else and you will be better off. You did actually give a backhanded insult to truckers by calling the guy a fat dumb loser, as he is choosing to be a trucker and dropping out of college.
His PhD is in biology. Not hard to find a job with that degree. Maybe he likes being a trucker, but obviously that's not very good for the family financially. I just find it ironic when someone has a PhD yet can't afford to send his son to college.

I'm an out of state student. But the students from in state automatically get free tuition just for going to high school in this state. And they act like they're entitled to it. It's ridiculous.

New Mexico: the state of entitlement

However, you need a 2.5 GPA to keep the scholarship, and his GPA was I think 1.8 or 1.9 after 1 semester. That scholarship is so easy to keep a monkey could keep it, but this guy managed to lose his scholarship.

If he kept the scholarship, he wouldn't need student loans.

And I'm not calling him fat and dumb because he wants to become a trucker. I'm calling this guy fat and dumb because he weighs 300 pounds and lost his scholarship which was ridiculously easy to keep in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
city-data91, I think that you need to take a break from the academic world and go learn from the people who live differently from your perception of education. It was very unncessary of you to put someone's business online, and IMO, you don't have any compassion for those who are struggling by judging them base on their circumstances and their choices.
I'm set to graduate in fall 2012.

And I didn't put his business online. Putting his business online would be if I gave personal information like his name and address.

The whole purpose of this thread is a venting thread. I was venting over the fact he deleted me.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,068,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Someone from my group of friends deleted me on facebook. He dropped out of college and he's moving to Missouri to do a training program to get his CDL and become a trucker. So it's not a surprise that he deleted people. But it's a surprise that he deleted me. He kept a lot of other people from our group of friends so I don't understand why he deleted me.

I used to think highly of him but now I think he's a fat dumb loser. He weighs 300 pounds and he got put on academic probation because his GPA was too low. That's probably part of the reason he dropped out. But another reason he dropped out is because his family could no longer afford college, despite his dad having a PhD. That just goes to show a PhD is no guarantee of a high income.

Hell, his dad a trucker. I don't understand why he got a PhD. And now this guy apparently wants to follow in his dad's footsteps since he's becoming a trucker.
If I had a friend on Facebook who described me in the way that you described this young man, he or she would be off my friends list faster than a hungry man at a buffet!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
If I had a friend on Facebook who described me in the way that you described this young man, he or she would be off my friends list faster than a hungry man at a buffet!
I didn't describe him this way until after he deleted me. So that can't be the reason he deleted me.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,068,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I didn't describe him this way until after he deleted me. So that can't be the reason he deleted me.
You may be missing the point. Perhaps his perceptions of your character, right or wrong, led him to make the decision he made. For your own sake, just let it go and move on. Find happiness where you can.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:14 PM

By the way, I'd like to start making money ASAP too. But right now, it's hard for me to make a decent salary. That's why I'm in college...to get a degree and hopefully get a job that pays a decent living (although that's no guarantee for college graduates these days unfortunately).

I wouldn't make a good trucker. I could never handle an 18 wheeler. And I'm too young right now anyway. You need to be 21.

I'm graduating college at 21, so I'd be getting my degree at the same age people get their CDL. For me, college makes the most sense. The world needs truckers, but I'm not one of them.

I'm on the 3.5 year college plan. I'm graduating a semester early. That just goes to show I really do want to start making money ASAP. I'm enjoying college but I also view college as a necessary obstacle on the way to success. If there was a way for me to be successful without college, I might look into it. But at this point, I might as well finish up my degree.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:18 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,189,702 times
Well, if you could become the next Bill Gates, you could drop out right now.
And btw, truckers make ridiculously good money. Heck of a lot more than a Ph.D with a teaching job, or doing research.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
You may be missing the point. Perhaps his perceptions of your character, right or wrong, led him to make the decision he made. For your own sake, just let it go and move on. Find happiness where you can.
I don't think so. I had a positive attitude toward him when we were friends. But if he no longer wants to be friends, two can play at that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics