Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Well, if you could become the next Bill Gates, you could drop out right now.
And btw, truckers make ridiculously good money. Heck of a lot more than a Ph.D with a teaching job, or doing research.
Some make good money, some don't. This guy is going to be making $600 a week to start out. I did the math and that's $31,200 a year.

Decent pay, especially for a 21 year old college dropout. But professors make more. The highest paid professors at my college make 6 figures, and they start out at 48k.

And your Bill Gates comment is exactly the point I was trying to make. For Bill Gates, dropping out worked well for him. But for the average person like me, not so much.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some make good money, some don't. This guy is going to be making $600 a week to start out. I did the math and that's $31,200 a year.

Decent pay, especially for a 21 year old college dropout. But professors make more. The highest paid professors at my college make 6 figures, and they start out at 48k.

And your Bill Gates comment is exactly the point I was trying to make. For Bill Gates, dropping out worked well for him. But for the average person like me, not so much.
The "average" person doesn't cut it anymore, even with a college degree and MBA, unless of course you're satisfied with minimum wage, or just barely making it.

I guess you could start out teaching (with your college degree) and come up with some breakthrough and end up getting tenured and Voila, you're set!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
The "average" person doesn't cut it anymore, even with a college degree and MBA, unless of course you're satisfied with minimum wage, or just barely making it.

I guess you could start out teaching (with your college degree) and come up with some breakthrough and end up getting tenured and Voila, you're set!
I sure hope that's not true. A high school dropout can make minimum wage. If the average person with a college degree makes minimum wage or barely makes it, what's the point of going to college?

However, based on the average income by education level, it appears college graduates make significantly more than their less educated peers.

And if you meant teaching high school, I can't. I'm not an education major.

If you meant becoming a professor, I don't want to get a Master's degree, let alone a PhD

Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
I don't think you needed to criticize his father or say anything rude about him. Why not diss him on FB or better yet to his face.

If you'd like to see a change to the state laws, take it up with the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship agency.

By the way, there are many underemployed college graduates, and many well paid tradesmen.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I sure hope that's not true. A high school dropout can make minimum wage. If the average person with a college degree makes minimum wage or barely makes it, what's the point of going to college?

However, based on the average income by education level, it appears college graduates make significantly more than their less educated peers.
And if you meant teaching high school, I can't. I'm not an education major.

If you meant becoming a professor, I don't want to get a Master's degree, let alone a PhD

A college degree does not guarantee anything. I may have been exaggerating a bit but don't think I'm far from wrong. There is way too much competition, moreso with the current economy and unemployment stats. People are willing to accept a lot of scenarios that were not even considered not that long ago.

Perhaps "most" make more. How significantly more is up to interpretation. You need to consider cost of living also. 80K in NYC is not much, but move to Paduca, and I'm sure it's significantly more.

You do know that a good ole college education nowadays is about as comparable as a high school diploma was a couple of decades ago. Some grads have no alternative but to get a master's since there are no jobs, they might as well keep going to school and hope for the best eventually.

Well here's your chance! Take a couple of ed classes and you'll be set.

But, you were right about something. This is technically a venting thread and we're lecturing. Hey, you can vent about that!

Last edited by vpcats; 04-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: messed up cut & paste. Hoping for the best here.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:18 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
^^^^ VP he is going to argue with you no matter what you say...

Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
^^^^ VP he is going to argue with you no matter what you say...
Well, I have nothing to do right now. My att u-verse is out and the tech is here trying to figure out which wire is killing the system. I haven't argued in a while. Need the practice. LOLLLLLLL

Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM

You Go Girl!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
You Go Girl!
You know the last time I gave you some cookies must have been eons ago and now, I can't. Still. Goes to show how long I've been away from here.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
By the way, I'd like to start making money ASAP too. But right now, it's hard for me to make a decent salary. That's why I'm in college...to get a degree and hopefully get a job that pays a decent living (although that's no guarantee for college graduates these days unfortunately).

I wouldn't make a good trucker. I could never handle an 18 wheeler. And I'm too young right now anyway. You need to be 21.

I'm graduating college at 21, so I'd be getting my degree at the same age people get their CDL. For me, college makes the most sense. The world needs truckers, but I'm not one of them.

I'm on the 3.5 year college plan. I'm graduating a semester early. That just goes to show I really do want to start making money ASAP. I'm enjoying college but I also view college as a necessary obstacle on the way to success. If there was a way for me to be successful without college, I might look into it. But at this point, I might as well finish up my degree.
^^^^^ This is what I need to vent about today^^^^

Then do what is best for you and stop judging the rest of the world! You may be a soon to be college grad but you need a few more years to grow up and get over all your anger issues. I have never seen so many negative posts come out of such a young person. I used to love coming to this thread each day but you have taken that away with your negativity...most people make light of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics