Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 05:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,055,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
That happened to me too, Chatteress. Except we were out of state at someone's house~so no escape for three days!! Later I learned her own children avoid her like the plague and she had a long history of being very critical and ultra-negative.
I just used really passive-responses. And I stayed away from her as much as possible. That really got to her. The silent NDN treatment!

BTW, she was a neat freak beyond comprehension. I was secretly very happy when our oldest dog pee'd on her white carpet!!! And our oldest dog was beyond house trained. Never pee'd inside in 10 years!!
Sorry to hear that you have had similar experiences Although this family member resides in my state, we were all staying in a relative's home out of state and there was limited escape during the 4 days we were both there ... I was so happy when she left early yesterday morning but then my cousin, who's home we were staying at, started in on me on the way to the airport. It sure felt like a breath of fresh air once I arrived at the airport. As with your family member, the nick-picker's own children moved out of state and she's the most unhappiest person I've ever met. Knowing all of this helped somewhat but unfortunately, she picked on areas that were really touchy for me. I need to seriously rethink dealing with certain family members during the holidays for my sanity sake.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:10 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,574,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry to hear that you have had similar experiences Although this family member resides in my state, we were all staying in a relative's home out of state and there was limited escape during the 4 days we were both there ... I was so happy when she left early yesterday morning but then my cousin, who's home we were staying at, started in on me on the way to the airport. It sure felt like a breath of fresh air once I arrived at the airport. As with your family member, the nick-picker's own children moved out of state and she's the most unhappiest person I've ever met. Knowing all of this helped somewhat but unfortunately, she picked on areas that were really touchy for me. I need to seriously rethink dealing with certain family members during the holidays for my sanity sake.
A very wise woman from the Blackfoot tribe told me mean people are actually in pain. The real problem is none of her children will call her on her behavior. My family would be blunt and say, Mom, stop! I tried to be polite and just let it roll off my back.

This all took place in WY. We told her we were stopping in NE to visit the cemetery where Felix's folks where, which was 5 hours away, and she INSISTED she would go with us, which meant we had to bring her back instead of going on home. So, I was nice and said fine.

Then get this, it started sprinkling when we got there and she refused to get out of the car.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,055,018 times
Quote:
A very wise woman from the Blackfoot tribe told me mean people are actually in pain. The real problem is none of her children will call her on her behavior. My family would be blunt and say, Mom, stop! I tried to be polite and just let it roll off my back.

This all took place in WY. We told her we were stopping in NE to visit the cemetery where Felix's folks where, which was 5 hours away, and she INSISTED she would go with us, which meant we had to bring her back instead of going on home. So, I was nice and said fine.

Then get this, it started sprinkling when we got there and she refused to get out of the car.
She sure sounds self-centered ... Maybe my relative is somehow related to your relative ... Somebody could have been switched at birth

Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,260,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What a way to start the day. While half asleep and getting a pot of coffee brewing I knocked over the cutting board that was standing on its side against the toaster and fell over on the countertop, bumping the “extra glass coffee carafe” that was sitting out. The carafe then moved towards the far edge of the counter top and toppled over and fell down on the floor. {{{{Kabbbooooom}}}} Broken glass,,, all over the kitchen floor in the dining area that new needs to be cleaned up. Lesson learned when a glass carafe falls to the hard tile floor it will be in pieces “all over” the area and in every corner of the room. Don’t do anything in the kitchen area without having your first cup of coffee drunk. Mrs Aks said that men shouldn’t be in the kitchen to begin with.
Man or woman has the right to go get their coffee wherever it may be! I hope you had shoes on and there were no animals or little kids in the room. Shattered glass gets everywhere and lies about in fine pieces. If I do drop and break glass I go to extremes cleaning, checking and double checking before letting cats out.

Sorry things got broken the morning after Christmas.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,291,016 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the support! LOL! I wish that I was as feisty as NMS! There were so many things that I could have said to that particular family member as she really does not have it all together like she acts but I held my tongue as I really did not wish to inflict hurt even though I was hurting inside. Hopefully, as time goes on, I can put aside those hurtful, insensitive comments and move on as life is too short.
I usually take things like that and let them bother me. This guy had just jabbed me one too many times and it came out. I couldn't believe I actually gave it back to him!

Quote:
That happened to me too, Chatteress. Except we were out of state at someone's house~so no escape for three days!! Later I learned her own children avoid her like the plague and she had a long history of being very critical and ultra-negative.
I just used really passive-responses. And I stayed away from her as much as possible. That really got to her. The silent NDN treatment!

BTW, she was a neat freak beyond comprehension. I was secretly very happy when our oldest dog pee'd on her white carpet!!! And our oldest dog was beyond house trained. Never pee'd inside in 10 years!!
Good dog...here's your treat!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Man or woman has the right to go get their coffee wherever it may be! I hope you had shoes on and there were no animals or little kids in the room. Shattered glass gets everywhere and lies about in fine pieces. If I do drop and break glass I go to extremes cleaning, checking and double checking before letting cats out.

Sorry things got broken the morning after Christmas.
After my second cup of coffee I picked up the larger pieces and got the vacuum for the smaller little chips and fragments. I've been looking for a replacement pot and the prices are unbelievable.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,233,403 times
Quote:
Although I'm feeling much better now that I'm home, I just wish that I can get together with certain family members without them nitpicking me to death about my appearance and other superficial crap! I know I am no beauty queen and fully aware of all my physical flaws so there is no need to point them out and trying to offer me "constructive" feedback about what I should do to "fix" those flaws. Gosh! I hate being a bug under the microscope. I'm already sensitive about certain things and wish that they would just learn when to shut up! Maybe next year, I'll just take a trip solo for Christmas versus dealing with these family members so I don't have to detox afterwards.
If you like yourself, that's all that matters Honey!

People who make a habit of tearing down others generally have very low self esteem and point out the flaws in others just to make themselves feel better.

With some of them, the best way to deal with it is to call them on their unacceptable behavior. A little " i'm sorry you feel so bad about yourself but i'm fine with who I am" should shut them right up.

Beauty may fade with time but a good heart and a beautiful soul last forever!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,348,463 times
People who act funny... u know they must have a reason, but instead of telling u what you've done they act shiddy or stand-offish. Old chicks are really good at this. I am sure young ones are too, but not like spinster-gals. I am sure guys do it as well so I suppose I should include them too. If u have a problem with someone why not just tell em... And if u decide not to be friendly then both parties are on notice to ignore each other.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,438,125 times
The people who annoy me most are those that when aggravated or just melting down about what to them is a castastrophe, turn in to wise even tempered gurus full of insightful counsel ["you need to learn patience and tolerance my friend"] when I mention a peeve of my own.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 AM

19,608 posts, read 9,598,095 times
Just how long are we supposed to give these tv networks, radio, stores, etc,..to pull their pre-Christmas advertising/commercials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics