Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,084,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Anyone else use Gmail and gonna stop using it? Pretty weird you get an email and then see that target subjects from your email in ads next to your letter. The one yesterday was talking about painting a house and also about herbal remedies for a dog. And I look over and there are ads for just those things. I did the opt out, but that didnt stop it, so I'm done with them. I've read others are upset by their new prying eyes privacy policy.
Back in the late 90's, I did a research paper on online advertising and advertisers pay for certain keywords either found in emails or through web browser searches so that when those keywords appear, the targeted ads appear for the user to see. No one is actually sitting there and reading your email but the keywords in the emails trigger the ads to appear electronically. Unfortunately, nothing is "free" anymore ... Free email is paid for by advertising dollars and I would much prefer that than to pay for it.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:24 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,019,021 times
It's never happened like that before though, they have changed their policies at Google.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
It's never happened like that before though, they have changed their policies at Google.
I don't have Google mail so I would not know this. I do know that as early as 1999, this type of advertising took place when I used Hotmail as I recalled using this as one of my examples in the research project. As I mentioned, no one is snooping in your mail but the computer is picking up keywords which deliver the targeted ads. Unfortunately for online advertisers, I have learned to tune them out as I don't see them anymore. The free email accounts are not "free" as somebody's gotta pay for it. I prefer advertisers to pay for it versus myself. You may wish to check with your ISP to see if you could set up an alternate email account so you would not have to deal with the advertisements if you are concerned about privacy issues.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm reading the chapter for the next module in my online class and my poor wittle bwain is hurting AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 PM

30,554 posts, read 23,972,506 times
Stress and venting? Oh I got your stress and venting right here, sunshine.

I am stressing hard core, sleeping very little, eating very little because I need a full time job ASAP. I've been at it for a year. A YEAR!

If I do not find a full time job ASAP, I will lose everything including my pets. And that whole, "losing the pets" part is what keeps me up at night, ruins my appetite and basically has turned me into a giant ball of stress zombie.

Someone, FOR THE SAKE OF THE ANIMALS, hire me. Seriously!

The End.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,019,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I am stressing hard core, sleeping very little, eating very little because I need a full time job ASAP. I've been at it for a year. A YEAR!

If I do not find a full time job ASAP, I will lose everything including my pets. And that whole, "losing the pets" part is what keeps me up at night, ruins my appetite and basically has turned me into a giant ball of stress zombie.

The End.
What state are you in, I'm not entirely sure so I'll ask. I know you're in a state of panic, and I surely understand your worrying most about your pets, but I mean of the 50 states. Wish I could help some way. What kind of work had you been doing in the past? Maybe someone here has some ideas. The more we know about your situation the more we can all do some thinking.

Maybe try some meditative music on youtube when you try to rest. Sometimes just something calming in the background helps my brain not to keep going on and on. I suffer from brain autorun, its just keeps turning. But the soft music mixed with nature sounds does help. You can set it up on the vlc media player where it will loop and so no having to keep restarting it.

You have have to keep eating, you have to stay strong for your 4 legged kids. Hope tomorrow is better for ya.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,664,391 times
I just realized how many pages were on this thread, that's amazing@ Every thread I ever started got closed at some point. Ok, maybe not every thread and I even asked for a couple of them to be closed cause I couldn't handle it.......but that's what happens when you post in the wrong forums.

My stressor is I allow people to run all over me.....I"m the one they are talking about when they say "doormat". I put an end to all of it, but the other people just won't let it go. **** man, ****ing leave me alone!! I said I put an end to all of it, but I haven't completely. I have family that is still using me and I am just at my wit's end as to what to do about it. It's definitely a catch-22 situation, damned if I do, damned if I don't.

I started reading this novel today that I bought about 12 or 13 years ago that I never read......it's really sticking in my head because it's about the civil war and it's quite graphic. One of those mind **** kind of novels, and I'm loving it. It's about all I can think about at the moment, "Phenomenon" isn't quite doing it for me.

There's nothing on cable, and I may be, not sure, overstimulating myself. There's a lot of good people in this movie, worth watching again after 16 years. Robert Duvall is in this movie, watch some of his **** sometime and you'll see what a good actor he is. "The Apostle" is probably his shining moment. Also, one of the last movies that Farrah Fawcett was in.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

The End.
*hugs* I know that doesn't solve your challenges but as Todd stated, you need to continue taking care of yourself and stay healthy for your pets. What type of work experience do you have? I know you mentioned working on a cruise ship in another forum. Is that what type of work you are seeking or are you looking in another line of work? What state do you live in?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM

34,347 posts, read 20,621,803 times
This pic is from a trip to the MD/hospital. Really? In order to save a few steps, you created your own parking spot?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:55 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,278,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The stress & venting thread ~ for everyone.

There always seems to be a day now and then [sometimes too often] that stress and frustration is too much to handle. Those days are miserable to deal with. Sometimes it’s just a little insignificant item but it brings us stress for the moment, other times it’s far more involved and longer lasting. In any case one of the best ways to eliminate stress or frustration is to bring it out into the open, say something about it to someone else. They may not have an answer but it always feels good to share a problem with others ~ seems to cut the problem in half and you feel better just talking about it.
If this works, this might be a good new thread to VENT ~ vent your problem each day and unload it from your mind, less stress makes for a happier you in the end. Keep in mind that no one will have an answer to your problem, there are no fixes here, and no solutions to the big issue you have, but you’ll know that it’s not stressing you any longer [or as much]. Heck you might even get lucky and someone has an answer to your dilemma! Who knows,,,,,, there are no guarantees.
Now aren't you a brave soul to start a Venting thread..LOL. Don't you know that perhaps 99% of the world loves to bit#$%^ about stuff? It has taken me all of my 64 years to learn to walk away from stuff and along with that 64 years I nearly lost my life with an upper aortic aneurysm that had done some damage to my heart valve as well. NOW..talk about a wake up call. It has been so not worth crabbing about stuff. I use to be upset over the 4 sisters I have who NEVER call me, I use to care that no matter what I said on Facebook it got twisted, and....I use to get ticked off because my family had so much to say about my 10 year younger husband...WALK AWAY...that is my advice for today. OH...and thanks for the post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics