Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

Good morning Karla and company!

What was the last meeting you went to ?
County council meeting

Did they served snacks ?

No thankfully they aren't wasting my money serving snacks.

Do you have any unusual driving issues ?

When I get into the big town near us I turn the radio down. More and more I am finding myself giving "idiot driving lessons" to my kids when I see fools driving crazy. Not me of course the other drivers.

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?

Growing up our nearest neighbor was a widow with no children that didn't like company. She had a sign at the end of her driveway saying "xxxxxx has a gun and xxxxxx knows how to use it". Kept us kids away for sure but she mellowed with age because my kids go down to visit with her often. I take meals to her about twice a week she is 99 years young now!

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ?

Ours was a white wall mounted dial phone private line. But at the same time my grandparents still had a party line with their phone number starting out EX then 5 numbers. We thought our city aunt was rich because she had a princess type phone. When they got push button we thought they were loooooaded.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Today's Question(s)

Annual beginning of the season training session at the racetrack. They did not cover sexual harassment this year. We decided we must be so good at it we no longer need training.

Did they served snacks ?
Coffee and donuts.

Bonus Question:

(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address)
Only if I have no idea where I'm going and listening to Gertrude (the lady inside my GPS)

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? No

Just for Fun:

Rotary dial, EX3-8697. Only needed to dial the last 4 for local calls.

Today in History:
1743 - It was the first London performance of Handel’s "Messiah", and King George II was in the audience. In the middle of the "Hallelujah Chorus, the King rose to his feet in appreciation of the great piece! The entire audience followed suit out of respect for the King. And so began the custom of standing during the singing of the "Hallelujah Chorus".
1839 - 1st recorded use of "OK" [oll korrect] (Boston's Morning Post)
1912 - Dixie Cup invented
1929 - 1st telephone installed in White House

Word of the Day:
spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun:
The transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words.
Example:
A well-boiled icicle ["well-oiled bicycle"]
Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"]
My mom always said I could make a mell of a hess.

Today is:
National Melba Toast Day
National Chip and Dip Day
National Puppy Day
World Turtle Day
Near Miss Day[/quote]

Old 03-23-2009, 08:53 AM

72,418 posts, read 18,203,422 times

Met some friends for meditation

We had pineaples,apple pie and apples

Bonus Question:

Yes! I always do that!

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?

This particular neighbor puts carpet on their lawn all over the place,they don't want to grow grass!

Just for Fun:

those dialers that took a long time to spin..

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Today's Question(s)

What was the last meeting you went to ? Did they serve snacks?
I belong to the local chapter of The American Truck Historical Society and our President hosted a meeting at his garage. His family (with a LOT of help from his friends) cooked up fried chicken and we all brought cobered dishes. Yum, yum!

Bonus Question:

(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address) Your asking a trucker if he has "unusual driving issues"??? I'll admit to turning down the radios when it gets intense on the road or when I'm doing paperwork in the cab (PARKED, of course) You're not talking about things like maintaining LOTS of space in front of me, driving slower in inclement weather, thinking about leaving myself & everyone around me an "out" or other unusual things like that, are you???

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? Here, everyone is pretty much normal. We had some cantankerous German neigbors when we were stationed there; they didn't want us to park in front of our house on the narrow street that runs between our two houses (They wanted to park in front of THEIR house directly across from us, even though they had their own driveway) Nobody else in the village got along with them, either. And THEY were Germans...

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ? a rotary dial "Princess" model (and the cord STILL got tangled up then)

Today in History:
1743 - It was the first London performance of Handel’s "Messiah", and King George II was in the audience. In the middle of the "Hallelujah Chorus, the King rose to his feet in appreciation of the great piece! The entire audience followed suit out of respect for the King. And so began the custom of standing during the singing of the "Hallelujah Chorus".
1839 - 1st recorded use of "OK" [oll korrect] (Boston's Morning Post)
1912 - Dixie Cup invented
1929 - 1st telephone installed in White House

Word of the Day:
spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun:
The transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words.
Example:
A well-boiled icicle ["well-oiled bicycle"]
Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"]

I LOVE Spoonerisms; "crushing blow" and "blushing crow". Wish I could remember more right now!

Today is:
National Melba Toast Day
National Chip and Dip Day
National Puppy Day
World Turtle Day
Near Miss Day Near Miss who???

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Rest of Year Planning Session this weekend with the wife. (Where to go, what to do for visitors, vacations, weddings, etc.)

I don't go to company meetings because I am the company and I always end up in an argument when I hold a meeting.

Did they served snacks ?

Yes, I had some of those lemon cookies from the Girl Scouts. Now they're all gone.

Bonus Question:

Other drivers mainly. But seriously, why can't car makers make a seat long enough to support my legs? I am really tired of my legs aching when I drive.

Extra Credit Question:

None of those words describe any of my neighbors. Try rude, piggish, sloppy, stupid, inconsiderate, childish, clueless. You don't want to hear about them, they're all boring.

Just for Fun:

Black rotary phone. Our number was 60849. The girl down the street that I was in love with had 60489. Her little sister had the same birthday as I do. The phone was on a small shelf where the stairs turned the corner heading upstairs. You could sit on a step when talking. There was a small window there so you could watch the neighbors and their horses while you were on the phone.

Am I babbling?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Tek_Freek, my sister and the first girl I ever truly had a crush on shared the same birthday. They were friends back then, too!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Birthdays are interesting.

To go a little OT here....

I think the number is 28 or thereabouts.

If you put 28 random people in a room the odds are two will have the same birthday.

Weird, huh?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Today's Question(s)

Annual beginning of the season training session at the racetrack. They did not cover sexual harassment this year. We decided we must be so good at it we no longer need training.
Chicago? Racetrack? Didn't Blasonofabitch wreck horse racing over there?

My sister-in-law worked for a horse vet in Chicago and everyone lost their jobs because there was no work...

Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Today I have a MG training meeting on invasives, the new irrigation and fertilizer ordinances, new publication resources and spiders and scorpions
Karla, you are not encouraging me to visit Jacksonville with mention of things like scorpions.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Chicago? Racetrack? Didn't Blasonofabitch wreck horse racing over there?

My sister-in-law worked for a horse vet in Chicago and everyone lost their jobs because there was no work...

Not horses. I work at Rt66 Dragway/Chicagoland Speedway. We have a lot more horsepower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics