Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times

Advertisements

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?

A few years ago, we had a neighbor who had a ''snakephobia''. This man would carry a gun, with him, while riding his lawnmower. (in boxers). Wish I would have taken pictures, now....

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ?

We had a rotary, mounted to the wall, with about a 3 ft. cord. The famous "party line", our ring was 2 short 1 long. After 3minutes of conversation, there was a beep...you had 15 seconds, to say goodbye, and you were cut off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
What was the last meeting you went to ?
Attended a meeting with a patriotic organization we belong to

Did they served snacks ?
Oh ya.

Bonus Question:

Do you have any unusual driving issues ?
(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address)
Yep, turn it down to listen to Maggie in my GPS because of hearing problems.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?
Yes I did, she was quite a exhibitionist.

Just for Fun:

Crank style like Alice T had.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Today's Question(s)

What was the last meeting you went to ? Did they serve snacks ?
It was an AA meeting at church, they didn't serve any snacks, just beer...

I'm only kidding - It was a business meeting at work... and they did serve beer...

Bonus Question:

I don't have any driving issues, but I have plenty of issues that drive others crazy!

Extra Credit Question:

I'm the only wacky neighbor...

Just for Fun:

It was one of those phones that was made out of 2 paper cups and a string attached to them... it was good for local calls, but it didn't work very well for long distance.. - I think push button phones came out in the late 1970's, and I think that was my first one, I can't remember ever owning one with a rotary dial - Can you imagine using one of those when you have to press a number to get the option that you want from those automated menus?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Extra Credit Question:

A few years ago, we had a neighbor who had a ''snakephobia''. This man would carry a gun, with him, while riding his lawnmower. (in boxers). Wish I would have taken pictures, now....

Very strange... but at least he kept his lawn mowed.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Today's Question(s)

What was the last meeting you went to ? ~ a month or so back I went to the city district meeting to deal with issues in our neighborhood.

Did they served snacks ? ~ yes,,, breakfast snack items but they weren’t good. However I did have my coffee.

Bonus Question:

Do you have any unusual driving issues ? ~ I’m too busy driving to have issues!

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? ~ not one that lives down the street, but Mike is in the area! LOL

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ? ~ rotary dial phone connected to a large box on the wall. I was able to remove the cover and found out what was inside. I then began to check things out when I was shocked and the phone rang several times. I then noticed that all of the others on the 8 party farm line also answered and nobody knew who called. I put back the cover on the large box and never touched it again.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
Rotary phones....just had this ''blessed memory'', of grounding our teenagers & putting the short corded trim line rotary dial phone on the wall, in the basement, as part of the ''terms'' of being grounded. Still use that phone, for power outtages!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today's Question(s)
[b]What was the last meeting you went to ? It was a meeting of the minds.

Did they served snacks ? Food for thought.

Bonus Question:
Do you have any unusual driving issues ? Nothing outside of screaming at nutcase drivers.

Extra Credit Question:
Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? We have one recluse, who never turns on his air-conditioneer in the summer or his heat in the winter. He's cheap and spends as little as he can on everything. He's wealthy but won't part with it. He does not socialize with anyone in the neighborhood. I'm the only one he'll talk to as I'm the only one who will listen to him.

Just for Fun:
What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ? Rotary. Though I do remember seeing 2 tin cans and about 500 feet of string in a storage box one day. Mom said that was what they used in the old days to communicate with the neighbors. Oh the neigbors name was Bell.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Karla, you are not encouraging me to visit Jacksonville with mention of things like scorpions.
lol fear not I learned that the ones here are not the big one that cause problems out west

ok I have decided you all need to come with me to our next meeting lol so many folks brought stuff they had to set up a 3rd 6' table
After each section they would have a break and everyone would go back up for more and there was tons left at the end of the meeting

The running joke is when you take the MG training be prepared to gain at least 5 #s

Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Today's Question(s)
Last Monday re: Personnel, which I guess they are all about really.
Did they served snacks ?
Are you kidding?

Bonus Question:
I do turn down the sound if I'm in an new place, trying to figure out somewhere I haven't been before. Is that unusual? It is an attempt to sharpen the senses possibly.

It reminds me of putting on one's glasses before answering the phone, though. Am not guilty of that one only because I wear my glasses every waking minute. In school they used to say, put on your thinking caps. Maybe some of us put on our thinking glasses!

Extra Credit Question:
Thank God, no! We've had our share of strange neighbors in the past. Right now, our neighbors are cordial, but they mind their own business and don't cause any problems.

Just for Fun:
Black rotary dial phone. The kind that, if you threw it against a wall, it might punch a hole in it. The wall, that is.

Word of the Day:
spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun:
The transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words.
Example: A well-boiled icicle ["well-oiled bicycle"]
Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"]
Those are fun!

Today is:
National Melba Toast Day Miss Melba, the opera singer? j/k
World Turtle Day
Near Miss Day If a Miss is near, she may become a Mrs.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,746,310 times
Ahhhhhhh, Finally here again to answer this "GREAT QUESTION" Good afternoon everyone!!!!

Today's Question(s)

Ooo-la-la The last meeting was this past Saturday in New York

Did they served snacks ?

Nope.....we supplied our own snacks

Bonus Question:

Well, naturally if I am looking for something in particular and my music is loud I lower it so I can concentrate on what I am looking for, but then baby that music goes up again!!

Extra Credit Question:

Ahhhhhhhhh, Nope!!! I just moved in this new house in February, and that I know the only wacky neighbor in the block is me LOL

Just for Fun:

A normal one...now in my home I have abnormal ones lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics