Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,610,405 times

Advertisements

People who express an opinion when none is asked for.

Case in point: I took an item into a hardware store looking for a part for it. Another customer saw my item and immediately exclaimed, " I wouldn't own that if it was given to me! That ain't worth a rusty penny. " Being a woman, I took that as a direct insult and insulted him right back with something about him being so stupid he would have to adopt his kids... Anyway... The poor store keeper was doing everything he could to wedge himself between us and usher the other customer out since he had already paid for his items and was now just annoying other customers - me.

At another juncture, a woman drove into an auto repair shop in a Saab and an existing customer looked at the Saab and exclaimed he wouldn't drive one of those if it was given to him. The woman who owned the Saab was offended...

Moral here: Keep your opinion to yourself when it is not asked for and you are in the company of people you do not know.

...I know I need to learn to turn a deaf ear to village idiots.

Last edited by AliceT; 04-21-2009 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I usually answer unwanted opinions with
"What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China"
or
"That and a quarter might get you a cup of coffee."

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
People that know everything about everything and always more than you. they have to impress and bully their way to make you look small.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 AM

27,349 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I usually answer unwanted opinions with
"What does that have to do with the price of eggs in China"
or
"That and a quarter might get you a cup of coffee."
Lol. Good comeback!
Of course, guilty as charged. But the one time I said something like that I was talking about lifestyle, living and the cost of living, in L.A., mentioning I wouldnt want to live there if a free house given to me. Way, way, way too many people, very poor air quality, Id get lost going down the street to Valero, crime rates that skyrocket.....
Guilty as charged. But I wouldnt say that about cars or hardware.
Good morning Alice, and friends, have a great day, its gonna be nice out!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:40 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
There's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about something, it's just how you express it. I wouldn't own a Saab either, and if it were me talking to the woman who owned one, I'd say something like "Saab makes very good quality automobiles, but I'll stick with my beat up 1979 Chevy truck".. Or "Hey baby, nice car - Are you single?"... - Or "Hey baby, nice.. headlights!"...

Sorry, like I said I would express my opinion in a polite way, and throw in a little humor.

Now let me express my opinion about opinions - I've heard many say it in a very crude way, and I'm sure most of you have heard the old expression that "Opinions are like [a certain part of the body], everybody has one".. and I'm not talking about the nose.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Good morning Alice………….. I’m working on just who those village idiots are, I think I’m living on the same block as one of them.

Most smaller towns have a community that will be interested in what everyone else is doing and offer an opinion (even if it’s not wanted or needed). Living in a large city isn’t much fun when it comes time for people to interact with one another. Hundreds will go in and out of the big box stores and never say anything much less a kind word.

I remember years ago when I lived in a small town I enjoyed the local shops where everyone knew each other and would always have something to say,,,,, good or bad. But those days are gone for now. Hopefully I’ll move back to a little town where people treat each other with respect and courtesy.

I have to agree that unwanted opinions are not always welcomed but people will be who they are and it’s not always someone you’d like to know.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
I’ve got another pet peeve.

Paying for an item with a nice new clean bills and getting your change that are old, tattered, dirty bills.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,683 times
Alice, I have to agree with you on that!! We used to have a friend that would do that. I don't care what it was, if it was not HIM that did it or bought it, it was stupid or sucked! Gee, I haven't seen him in over 10 years........ he stopped coming around when he realized he wasn't that perfect after all!

I usually keep my opinions to myself. Actually this weekend we were with some friends that are alot of fun, but are always bragging about some new "toy" that they just bought - you know the type!?!?! Well, she got a new car and they had to drag us out there and brag it all up - - - no offense, but that is one of the cars (not telling what it is) that I have always looked like a "pimp mobile"! Never said a word, just smiled!!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
I gave an unasked for opinion just the other day a the local feed, farm store while buying a toy for the pup. Every thing that I has bought has just been almost chewed to pieces with her sharp puppy teeth. A woman was looking at one of the toys that I'm referring to for her lab that she had with her. Bigger pup than mine. Anyway we struck up a conversation about labs,, pup, etc. She picked up the toy in question and I couldn't help myself, I told her how easy it had been for my pup to dismantle, disengage, destroy that same toy.

The saleslady was aware of my situation with the toys and when the other lady and I were checking out, the saleslady made a remark about maybe I had told the other lady about the flimsiness of said toy. I had to admit that yes I had given her my opinion about all dog toys. Negative opinion. And unasked for. So, I am guilty as charged. ...

However, Alice, I do agree with your comments. Very much so. I'll watch it next time.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve got another pet peeve.

Paying for an item with a nice new clean bills and getting your change that are old, tattered, dirty bills.
And no one counts the money back to you anymore, and at times they try to sneak in a Canadian penny or dime that you can't use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics