Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times

Advertisements

People who incessantly complain. No matter what. If God came down and talked to them they would still be unhappy. I am so sick of chronic complainers.

Caught up with one today!! UGH!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have a homework assignment that is to write down the facial expression part of sign language. It's not just expressiveness, it's grammatical in ASL. Well I have no idea how to do this assignment and I already sat down one on one with my professor. It's just really dawning on me right now just how much of the entire language I am missing...I know I just have to accept that I'll never have access to facial expressions but it just really depresses me that I will never have access to that whole part of sign language in a way that is meaningful to me. I can feel the expressions and remember specific examples but I will never have a natural intuition for facial expression the way sighted people do...and this just really crushes me so much. I don't even know what to do with myself right now. I feel stupid cause I'm crying openly on campus in front of people but I Just can't help it. I'm so depressed about it.
I know I don't need to know facial expression to be an interpreter for the deaf-blind but I will never have access to or understand that whole half of the Deaf world...gah. I know this sounds crazy but I feel like a sense of grief...I feel it in my whole body. Maybe I was stupid to think I could pursue a profession in the Deaf world...I know the Deaf-BLind world but I'll never know the Deaf world...

Sorry I am just so bummed about it and really don't know who to talk to. People on campus will just tell me "you can do it!" which is nice but they don't understand these feelings I'm having and why...and how much it means to me to really access the entire language...as a linguist. Blah.

Maybe I should do something else with my life.
Having a hearing impairment such as mine poses challenges when you are a counselor. I've had to do without my hearing aids when they needed repairing so I can understand your frustration and depression to some extents. There isn't a more helpless feeling when the equipment you rely upon doesn't work properly and you have to do without one of your senses. Despite the challenges of not being able to fully know ASL, stick with it and don't allow this to deter you from your heart's passion!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
People who incessantly complain. No matter what. If God came down and talked to them they would still be unhappy. I am so sick of chronic complainers.

Buy some headphones, nothing shuts people up better than thinking someone isn't paying any attention to what they say.

Some people might be unhappy if God came down to talk to them, some might be scared too.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:

Find as many things as you can to complain about. Nothing ticks off a complainer, more than someone who's stealing the limelight.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Having a hearing impairment such as mine poses challenges when you are a counselor. I've had to do without my hearing aids when they needed repairing so I can understand your frustration and depression to some extents. There isn't a more helpless feeling when the equipment you rely upon doesn't work properly and you have to do without one of your senses. Despite the challenges of not being able to fully know ASL, stick with it and don't allow this to deter you from your heart's passion!
Thanks for the moral support. I just feel so...frustrated.

Lol I know that feeling too of having failing technology. I've been without my braille display for weeks now and I'm always nervous I'm missing typos that speech isn't catching. I also have some symbol-heavy class assignments and those are really hard to do with speech output. I really prefer braille lol. I've also had my hearing aid die on me...always when you're having an important conversation with hearing people of course. Where's the smiley for "yep...all of that just went right over my head!"

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for the moral support. I just feel so...frustrated.

Lol I know that feeling too of having failing technology. I've been without my braille display for weeks now and I'm always nervous I'm missing typos that speech isn't catching. I also have some symbol-heavy class assignments and those are really hard to do with speech output. I really prefer braille lol. I've also had my hearing aid die on me...always when you're having an important conversation with hearing people of course. Where's the smiley for "yep...all of that just went right over my head!"

The other one is losing your cane-tip...Oh ! Lol. Always happens in the worst possible place. Last time it was in the metro, time before that was during a long walk to the doctor's office.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Painfully slow internet leading to double posts. Sorry about that, folks.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:

I am so glad I don't have to work with a few of these types now.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I am so glad I don't have to work with a few of these types now.
There was one where I worked and nothing was worse than getting on an elevator with him. So, one day, I came whipping around the corner and saw him on the elevator and had to get on it. He asked the rhetorical, "So, how are you today?" and I surprised everyone by looking straight ahead of me and said, "I suck!" and then didn't say anything else. I know people were laughing or smiling behind me because ordinarily when someone randomly asks you that question the answer is always, "I'm fine how are you?" He didn't know how to respond to that since I didn't ask him back.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
About 80% of the reps I give I don't sign! Oftentimes, too lazy to punch the extra keys, and I've got enough reps as it is!
I'd highly appreciate just a "tij" at the very least... I want to know who's repped me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics