Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:54 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,879,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It would be such a laugh if after checking their laptops – they find out that pilots were running the “PC Flight Simulator” program, instead of flying THEIR plane.
LOL.. although that would be a very funny senario, I don't think that was the case, since the laptops were most likely company-issued, and not their own. The reason I'm saying that is the flight crew scheduling program they were working with would have also been installed by Northwest/Delta Airlines, and companies don't like to install their programs on employees' personal laptops because every employee will have a different brand, model, with different hardware specifications, so if something doesn't work right with the program, it would be a big hassle for both employees and company to fix the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Like Aksarben said, I am glad one of the flight attendants contacted the flight crew and made them aware of the situation.

I'm sure many of you are aware of the dangers when an airplane is flown by auto-pilot, and the human pilots are not paying attention to the instrument panel, especially when the aircraft went beyond its flight destination, and at cruise altitudes, going at over 500 MPH, there were too many factors that would have caused concern, since the plane was 150 miles past its destination. In a worst case scenario, the aircraft could have come close to other aircraft flying at the same altitude, and I'm sure alert air traffic controllers and flight crews on other aircraft would have been aware of the stray aircraft, since modern airliners have what's called a TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System), which would have alerted the flight crews in both aircraft if they got too close, and trust me the warning would have been heard by those two guys who were busy with the laptops.

Thank God it never came to that.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I just heard they had the older CVR that only records thirty minutes. The whole thing just doesn't add up to me. One of my friends thinks they were involved in some type of sexual activity in the cockpit. I don't know what went on, but it's scary.
Thirty minutes, that's about the time it takes to turn the aircraft around, then fly it into Minneapolis and land it in MSP, so investigators probably wouldn't have been able to determine what occurred prior to the last 30 minutes.

I doubt there was any type of sexual, or any other extracurricular activity in the flight deck, other than what those two guys claimed were doing.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM

24,491 posts, read 26,033,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. although that would be a very funny senario, I don't think that was the case, since the laptops were most likely company-issued, and not their own. The reason I'm saying that is the flight crew scheduling program they were working with would have also been installed by Northwest/Delta Airlines, and companies don't like to install their programs on employees' personal laptops because every employee will have a different brand, model, with different hardware specifications, so if something doesn't work right with the program, it would be a big hassle for both employees and company to fix the issue.
Looks like they were using their personal laptops and they have both had thei license's suspended.

Pilots of wayward jet lose licenses - CNN.com

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
You gotta believe whatever they were looking at, had to be, really, really, really interesting!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
It's a good thing that they didn't get caught text messaging on their cell phones!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:42 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
Could they possibly have been twittering with the flight attendant who was in the back of the plane about what they might do and where they could go after they land?

twittering at high altitudes and fast speeds could be illegal

Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Could they possibly have been twittering with the flight attendant who was in the back of the plane about what they might do and where they could go after they land?

twittering at high altitudes and fast speeds could be illegal
I agree, I don't think flight and cabin crews should play with their twitters during flights..

Old 10-28-2009, 11:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Is there a twitter version of the mile high club?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,793,448 times
Considering the speed in which these things fly, I would guess that it only took about 15 or 20 minutes to overshoot their destination. I'm not saying whatever they were doing is justified, but somewhere in this confusion I could probably rationalize 15 minutes as opposed to nodding off for an hour or two and being 1,000 miles off course. Regardless, none of this restores my confidence in flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics