Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times

Advertisements

I for one HAVE to know who’s calling me before I even contemplate answering the call. It’s the phone company’s fault; they should’ve never pioneered Caller ID/Privacy Director etc. If I don’t recognize the number, I may call the number back later that day (with my number blocked of course) to see if I recognize the voice on the other end. If not, I’ll inform them that I’m returning a call that I received earlier. Is this wrong of me? How do you handle these types of unidentified callers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,515 times
LOL .. I do that sorta .. usually tho if I dont reconize the number or its a blocked number it gets sent to my voice mail where the message says ..
"I do not answer blocked or unknown numbers ..leave a message with your name and number& reason you called and I will get Back to you ... ( pause ) Maybe

yes cell phones are fabulous and yes I am a jerk ..

Old 05-28-2010, 01:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I get about one call a month from people who are not personal friends or legitimate business contacts. It's usually a wrong number, and I politely offer to help them find the correct number. I'm on the Do Not Call list.

By the way, if I get a telemarketing call from an agency that is not subject to the DNC list, I tell them I am on the DNC list. They invariably say "We're not subject to that list". My reply: "You should have checked to see if I was on it anyway, and as a matter of common courtesy, respected my wishes. Please remove my number from your call list, and if I hear from you again, I will report the call to the Attorney General."

Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM

106 posts, read 267,595 times
My sister does that, Even makes me call numbers she doesnt recognize back...or have me answer the unknowns...It is so very annoying. If I missed a call and I don't recognize the number. If it was important they would leave a message or call back later. I really don't care. But to each thier own... IMO I kinda think it's a little paranioa..I mean why call back private? and people do dial wrong numbers. But for my sister she has a lot of enimies thats her justification.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangedEssence View Post
My sister does that, Even makes me call numbers she doesnt recognize back...or have me answer the unknowns...It is so very annoying. If I missed a call and I don't recognize the number. If it was important they would leave a message or call back later. I really don't care. But to each thier own... IMO I kinda think it's a little paranioa..I mean why call back private? and people do dial wrong numbers. But for my sister she has a lot of enimies thats her justification.
Funny you mentioned that about enemies. No, I don't have any enemies that I'm trying to avoid. I guess I look at it from this standpoint; I already have everyone's information saved into my phone that I communicate with regularly or that I want to remain in contact with. Everyone else is suspect...it may be someone who's information I deliberately deleted years ago but they Googled/people seached my information to regain the number. That actually happened to me, so in that instance I wouldn't want to answer the call or return it.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 05-28-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
If I don't recognize the number... I don't answer it. And I don't call back. If it were important, the caller would leave a message. I don't pay for airtime unless I choose to.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
I must admit, I do all of that too. I am seriously the worst friend. I am always getting yelled at by my friends for not answering them or even calling them back. It's not that I don't like my friends, I just hate phones or chit chatting. I also get irritated by needy friends. I don't need to talk to you everyday if we are friends. I hate those "needy" friends or people who always have to know what your doing, or whatever. If I don't answer after oh I don't know four or five calls. Im probably not going to answer. STOP CALLING! I have a cell phone that I leave home all the time. I never carry it with me. I treat it like a land phone. I don't know. I guess I am just "old school". I have funny ideas about cell phones. I hate people who are constantly yapping on one, even when your trying to carry a conversation with them. I have stopped hanging with people for this. It must be a peave of mine. My girlfriend understands my "weirdness" towards phones and she just meets me everyday somewhere. She gave up trying to "convert" me...lol

Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,903 times
If it is a local number and I don't know the caller I pick it up. You never know when it's about your kids. If it's long distance they can leave a message.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
If I know the caller I might answer. If I don't know the caller everything goes to voice mail. I also let friends and family go to voice mail sometimes. I prefer to listen to the messages when its convenient to me. My wife and kids text if its an emergency.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
LOL .. I do that sorta .. usually tho if I dont reconize the number or its a blocked number it gets sent to my voice mail where the message says ..
"I do not answer blocked or unknown numbers ..leave a message with your name and number& reason you called and I will get Back to you ... ( pause ) Maybe yes cell phones are fabulous and yes I am a jerk ..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I get about one call a month from people who are not personal friends or legitimate business contacts. It's usually a wrong number, and I politely offer to help them find the correct number. I'm on the Do Not Call list.

By the way, if I get a telemarketing call from an agency that is not subject to the DNC list, I tell them I am on the DNC list. They invariably say "We're not subject to that list". My reply: "You should have checked to see if I was on it anyway, and as a matter of common courtesy, respected my wishes. Please remove my number from your call list, and if I hear from you again, I will report the call to the Attorney General."
BOTH are great! I never answer a number I do not recognize. I think I will utilize BOTH of your suggestions moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics