Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2016, 02:34 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Look what you made me do Cat, I actually had to get up to go next door to get a ho ho, and all they had was hostess but I wanted a ding dong, now I gotta go to the dollar store. I have been eating like there was no tomorrow, I have eaten a dew berry cobbler every day, every day I make another one. Can't stop eating deserts this time of year. Yesterday I ate two lobsters, about 5 pounds of crab, a pound of boiled shrimp, several broiled herb and butter shrimp and a cobbler on top of that with a bacon sandwich lol.

Bacon is desert in the south.

MMMMM Lobsta (as they say in Maine). Probably my favorite meal. Crab & shrimp are yummy, too.

True story. Many, many years ago, I took a cruise around the Med. It was a Greek cruise line. The people at my table at meals all spoke English-most of us were from the U.S. but we had one guy from Australia. Our waiter was Greek and didn't speak a word of English but we managed to communicate anyway. One day the dinning hall was decorated with a seafood theme. They had a rope mesh type thing hanging from the wall with a plastic crab hanging for it. Our waiter was being funny and took the plastic crap off the wall and put it under the Aussie's chair. All of us at the table were chuckling and the Aussie realized something was up. He then looked under his chair and saw the crab and picked it. He held it up high and said pretty loud, "I got crabs." At that point every one of us at the table just burst into laughter. Then he said, "I got them from him" as he pointed to our waiter. I almost totally lost it. I don't think there were too many people in the room who understood what he said. They knew it must have been funny since we were all laughing up a storm at the table. And the course our poor waiter had no idea what the guy said-and that the joke was at his expense. But he laughed, too.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
MMMMM Lobsta (as they say in Maine). Probably my favorite meal. Crab & shrimp are yummy, too.

True story. Many, many years ago, I took a cruise around the Med. It was a Greek cruise line. The people at my table at meals all spoke English-most of us were from the U.S. but we had one guy from Australia. Our waiter was Greek and didn't speak a word of English but we managed to communicate anyway. One day the dinning hall was decorated with a seafood theme. They had a rope mesh type thing hanging from the wall with a plastic crab hanging for it. Our waiter was being funny and took the plastic crap off the wall and put it under the Aussie's chair. All of us at the table were chuckling and the Aussie realized something was up. He then looked under his chair and saw the crab and picked it. He held it up high and said pretty loud, "I got crabs." At that point every one of us at the table just burst into laughter. Then he said, "I got them from him" as he pointed to our waiter. I almost totally lost it. I don't think there were too many people in the room who understood what he said. They knew it must have been funny since we were all laughing up a storm at the table. And the course our poor waiter had no idea what the guy said-and that the joke was at his expense. But he laughed, too.

Cat
GREAT story, I could live on one of those cruise ships, I always do the same thing. On one upper side of each cruise, there is one place where A.C. is streaming from the boat, maybe it's for filtering or something, but that is where I always am, in a chair listening to Ray Price, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard hot as hades outside but the A.C. blowing on me. WE sure had some tales with dining, it was always interesting with the foreigners.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:49 PM

We got off at Jamaica one time and dude in the cabin next to us buys a pound of Jamaican weed and it stinks the entire boat, you could go a floor up and still smell it, but as weed goes, Jamaican weed will make you so paranoid that you can't smoke it, it is so strong and it is like modified with cocaine leaves or something, it's like smoking cocaine. I couldn't smoke it.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times
Quote:
We got off at Jamaica one time and dude in the cabin next to us buys a pound of Jamaican weed and it stinks the entire boat, you could go a floor up and still smell it, but as weed goes, Jamaican weed will make you so paranoid that you can't smoke it, it is so strong and it is like modified with cocaine leaves or something, it's like smoking cocaine. I couldn't smoke it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUPY902Ph0

Great album by a group you never heard of. They also have that song sung in Spanish and sung in French. They also had a parody of The Monster Mash called Monster Hash.

Cat

Old 12-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUPY902Ph0

Great album by a group you never heard of. They also have that song sung in Spanish and sung in French. They also had a parody of The Monster Mash called Monster Hash.

Cat
My son used to sing me that song all the time, I had been meaning to look up that song, thanks.,

Old 12-25-2016, 05:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
I love personal posts like these, always the best ones, and I want a little more color next time like,'' My auntie sue.''

Leaves me wanting to know more, I am still family with my ex's family, then there is my daughter Crystal, her Ex husbands will be at their house at Christmas an Halloween and even spend the night, nobody knows what to think of them but they sure stay family, my daughter, her husband and her ex husband unwrapping presents lol.

But family is as family does and sometimes your real family is your best friend, but family is everywhere, at work, at play, my ex father in law used to call me a man with a million friends back in the day, I would hug everyone and get personal, make family quick. Now I am a hermit.
I'm one of those women who generally get along better with guys, at least if they are my kind of them. I like guys who are laid back and like to fix things and don't try to keep up with every trend. When I met the one I married, I was engaged to his best friend. We got to be each others best friends.

Long story short, the one I was engaged to and I split over his temper, and my other friend and I ended up married. But I'm still friends with the first, and know his family, and my husband and I split up after a few years. But I was still considered family by his, and after all this time, they are. You have to have the one you were born into. But family applies to the people you connect with along the way and I still use their name, and they are treasured. My mom and dad, I'm sure, are smiling down on us. Family is the people you find who connect and the relationship is real. When you find one like that, you don't let go just because a couple of personalities couldn't stand a 24/7 life.

It's wonderful that your daughter was able to lose a few husbands but not a few friends.

The last few years, I've lost contact with friends or they were too far away, and while I like that I found my place sometimes it feels very lonely since the people I meet here just don't connect. I make a lot of long long distance calls.

got instead was a new family.

I was really close to mom, but with Dad's temper we sparked arguments over nothing. My father in law is low key and thoughtful and I'd call him a friend as wall as family. But he's also a lot like my dad, a farm boy who left home and got involved in tech. Dad worked on the space flights. My fil invented some key parts of the teconology we're using now. Nobody missed the farm.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm one of those women who generally get along better with guys, at least if they are my kind of them. I like guys who are laid back and like to fix things and don't try to keep up with every trend. When I met the one I married, I was engaged to his best friend. We got to be each others best friends.

Long story short, the one I was engaged to and I split over his temper, and my other friend and I ended up married. But I'm still friends with the first, and know his family, and my husband and I split up after a few years. But I was still considered family by his, and after all this time, they are. You have to have the one you were born into. But family applies to the people you connect with along the way and I still use their name, and they are treasured. My mom and dad, I'm sure, are smiling down on us. Family is the people you find who connect and the relationship is real. When you find one like that, you don't let go just because a couple of personalities couldn't stand a 24/7 life.

It's wonderful that your daughter was able to lose a few husbands but not a few friends.

The last few years, I've lost contact with friends or they were too far away, and while I like that I found my place sometimes it feels very lonely since the people I meet here just don't connect. I make a lot of long long distance calls.

got instead was a new family.

I was really close to mom, but with Dad's temper we sparked arguments over nothing. My father in law is low key and thoughtful and I'd call him a friend as wall as family. But he's also a lot like my dad, a farm boy who left home and got involved in tech. Dad worked on the space flights. My fil invented some key parts of the teconology we're using now. Nobody missed the farm.
Really a great post, thanks, helps me remember people and that is so hard for me, hey, at least grudges don't last lol.

Too many people make divorce like a war, I still go to my Ex wives mothers house all the time, that's how it should be, family should not stop being family just cause you can't live together, but people seem to lose their mind when divorce happens{ME}.

Still, I made up for all my misdeeds and I am forgiven and accepted.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
The above posts set off a kind of tumbling dominoes of thoughts:

The best time I ever had in my young life and possibly the best time ever was a few weeks in Greece when I was 20.

I love lobster, crab, seafood in general. And yet I feel terrible when walking past a supermarket aquarium chockful of elastic-banded lobsters, glumly waiting to die and not even being able to fight about it.

So, I hardly ever eat lobster and when I do it's dead and frozen first. Ditto with crab, shrimp et al. But I do catch, kill, clean and eat freshwater fish - as humanely as possible. (The catching and killing part, I mean.)

I've probably forgotten about a couple of the things I was going to respond to and don't feel like scrolling. So, I'll just head to the music after saying howdy and welcome to Rafius, who I believe is the 2nd avowed Atheist to visit our little corner of CD.

I'll cut to the chase: "Unique" is the most maligned, abused word in the English language. It cannot be modified. Very, very few things in life are unique.

Jeff Healey's guitar playing was/is unique. He was a Canadian blues/jazz musician who had his eyes removed at the age of 1 because of a rare cancer, retinoblastoma, and replaced with prostheses. He began playing guitar on his lap when he was 3.

He died of lung cancer at 41.

This is one of my favourite tunes of his, a cover of Gary Moore's classic, As The Years Go Passing By. As amazing as his guitar chops are, he can sing some too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkOaTVu8uM

Old 12-26-2016, 07:21 AM

88,627 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Ok, more new music to catch up with on this thread!

Cat, my family also gets together after Christmas--the weekend after New Year's this year. It just worked out better so we've been doing this for decades. No one has to host anyone overnight, though. It's an eating fest and there are usually games involved like Five Crowns and Scattergories.

Your table sounds like a real find!

Old 12-26-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The above posts set off a kind of tumbling dominoes of thoughts:

The best time I ever had in my young life and possibly the best time ever was a few weeks in Greece when I was 20.

I love lobster, crab, seafood in general. And yet I feel terrible when walking past a supermarket aquarium chockful of elastic-banded lobsters, glumly waiting to die and not even being able to fight about it.

So, I hardly ever eat lobster and when I do it's dead and frozen first. Ditto with crab, shrimp et al. But I do catch, kill, clean and eat freshwater fish - as humanely as possible. (The catching and killing part, I mean.)

I've probably forgotten about a couple of the things I was going to respond to and don't feel like scrolling. So, I'll just head to the music after saying howdy and welcome to Rafius, who I believe is the 2nd avowed Atheist to visit our little corner of CD.

I'll cut to the chase: "Unique" is the most maligned, abused word in the English language. It cannot be modified. Very, very few things in life are unique.

Jeff Healey's guitar playing was/is unique. He was a Canadian blues/jazz musician who had his eyes removed at the age of 1 because of a rare cancer, retinoblastoma, and replaced with prostheses. He began playing guitar on his lap when he was 3.

He died of lung cancer at 41.

This is one of my favourite tunes of his, a cover of Gary Moore's classic, As The Years Go Passing By. As amazing as his guitar chops are, he can sing some too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIkOaTVu8uM

My Ex wife made me go get a few lobsters to cook them, I had never done it before. That was like 1980, and the sound of those lobsters screaming cured me from ever doing that again. How people cook those things live everyday escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism